PDA

View Full Version : Shojo's Last Word *Spoiler* in case you couldn't tell.

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-29, 09:30 PM
"Everything I did, I did for my people."

"It appears not everyone agrees with your analysis..."

The Best Last Words Ever?

Warpfire
2007-01-29, 09:32 PM
Very good, certainly.

Best last words in the comic,naturally, though that's not saying much.

In any case, I don't think he could have done much better.

Finwe
2007-01-29, 09:59 PM
Very few times have I seen better last words, but I can't remember any now.

Adygias
2007-01-29, 10:13 PM
"Wait, you mean a pentagram only has five sides?"

The honest illusionist
2007-01-29, 10:16 PM
I liked the Black Dragon's last few words. Now those were classic.

Yzorth
2007-01-29, 10:18 PM
That was an AWESOME ending thing. It smacked Miko right in the face on so many levels.

Best. Episode. EVAR!!!!!!!

No_constraints
2007-01-29, 10:25 PM
Very few times have I seen better last words, but I can't remember any now.

I voted that they were the best last words ever, even though I know they aren't. For example. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1qRSPrg4Us)

Charles Phipps
2007-01-29, 10:43 PM
Pol Pot has the best last words ever?

Cruiser1
2007-01-29, 10:44 PM
For the best last words in Order of the Stick, who can forget the chimera Trigak (Trigak is basically three Gak's), who dies with each of the three heads saying "Gak"? See panel #2 in this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0021.html). :smallsmile:

Setra
2007-01-29, 10:50 PM
My personal favorite last words are "Hey y'all watch this!"

Shojo's were awesome though.

teratorn
2007-01-29, 10:51 PM
Guys, real world politics is a no in these forums, but I would like to point out that the first sentence, or some variant from that one, came from the mouths of some nasty tyrants.

EvilAndProud
2007-01-29, 10:54 PM
Epic. Definitely epic.

teratorn
2007-01-29, 11:13 PM
Caligula, after being stabbed by his own guards: "I am still alive!"

Iranon
2007-01-29, 11:24 PM
A few choice real life ones... although not everyone agrees that they were in fact the last. Some people wíll stay alive for a little longer just to get a few jibes in, apparently.

God will forgive me. It's his job. - Heinrich Heine

Now, Now, my dear man, this is no time for making enemies - Voltaire, asked to renounce Satan

Either the wallpaper goes, or I do - Oscar Wilde

I desire to go to Hell and not to Heaven. In the former I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks and apostles. - Niccolo Machiavelli

skreweded
2007-01-29, 11:25 PM
If I ever have a chance at last words to someone who killed me, it will be those.

Even if it doesn't fit.

I can see myself, being hung (for some reason) in front of millions of people (why?..) and right before the switch is pulled, I am asked ifi have last words?

"It appears not everyone agrees with your analysis..."

And about 3 people will be like "ZOMG OOTS HACKS OMG!"

Kaiox
2007-01-29, 11:54 PM
I think Shojo indirectly causing Miko's Paladin Power loss is a nice touch.

Although I remember having a dream where I was some evil guy and the heroin killed me. and I had some really awesome last words.

although
2007-01-30, 12:11 AM
Pancho Villa: "Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Thexare Blademoon
2007-01-30, 12:42 AM
I think Shojo indirectly causing Miko's Paladin Power loss is a nice touch.

Although I remember having a dream where I was some evil guy and the heroin killed me. and I had some really awesome last words.
Heroin or heroine? Because you didn't say anything about drugs...

Anyway, while probably not the best ever, they were pretty good.

Edit: Just pointing out I'm referring to his last remark to Miko, since that's all I'd really consider part of his last words.

Eldon
2007-01-30, 12:44 AM
Amazing last words and a wicked sweet comic.

However...

My favorite last words come from a Civil War officer. Major-General John Sedgewick. He was out in front of his men direction mortar fire while they were being fired upon by confederate snipers. As he stood out in the open directing the mortars, his men were hiding. He berated them for hiding, and boldly stated his last words... "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance..." minutes later he was shot below the left eye and killed by a confederate sniper.

He was the highest ranking Union casualty in the war.

Whoops. Spoke a bit too soon. :)

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-30, 12:47 AM
Somehow I don't think it'll be his last words.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-01-30, 12:50 AM
In the star trek episode "Journey to bable" the orion spy said he estimated he had ab out 10 minutes to live due to a slow poison he took, then gapsed, doubled over, looked up at kirk and said in an astonished whisper "I seem to have...miscalculated."

In one of my favorite movies, "Lifeforce" a guy who's been turned into a space vampire gets a friend to shoot him, then collapses, looks up and says "Here I go!"

When nero killed himself to avoid death by torture, he said "What an artist the world loses in me." Really impressive of him to be so concerned with the world's loss at that particular moment. Touching.

When Grand Admiral Thrawn was stabbed thru the back and looked down at the knife sticking thru his chest, he smiled at his subordinate and whispered "But it was so artistically done."

A character in warhamer 40,000's last words were "I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."

soylentplaid
2007-01-30, 01:03 AM
Absolute favorite last words ever:

Go on, get out - last words are for fools who haven't said enough.
--Karl Marx

Of course, there's other good ones. For instance, James Dean saw the truck ahead of him crossing into the oncoming lane and of course said "That guy's got to stop... He'll see us."

archon_huskie
2007-01-30, 01:11 AM
No, the best last words are "I can taste Key Lime pie."

Haruki-kun
2007-01-30, 02:05 AM
Somehow I don't think it'll be his last words.

Me neither, but for all we know, they could be. We don't know how far Resurrection goes here. Gotta draw the line between plot and comedy somewhere. This is more on the dramatic side.....

Of course, I won't discard the possibility of Shojo being resurrected.

And YES!!!!!!!!! THOSE WERE THE BEST LAST WORDS EVER!!!!!!!!!

Chaotic Bob
2007-01-30, 02:26 AM
Well, assuming they are his last words, I'll have to say that they are the best ones that I can think of at the moment. Glory to you Shojo! GLORY!

Jewel Thief
2007-01-30, 02:31 AM
What else could he say? They fit the situation perfectly. I felt a genuine thrill as he said them, knowing he's absolutely right. Even the gods agree that Miko deserves to lose her paladin powers.

Randebor
2007-01-30, 02:36 AM
"I have a really good feeling about this." OOtS 192... :smallbiggrin:

Skyserpent
2007-01-30, 02:41 AM
I'm personally a fan of:

"Don't worry, it's fireproof."

As well as

"It's probably hibernating"

agentx42
2007-01-30, 05:02 PM
Pol Pot has the best last words ever?

First Hitler, now Pol Pot.

I'm stunned. There's nothing appropriate for me to say.

Mad Scientist
2007-01-30, 05:11 PM
I liked the Black Dragon's last few words. Now those were classic.

What did the Black Dragon say?

Twilight Jack
2007-01-30, 05:11 PM
"Yep. Here I am."

teratorn
2007-01-30, 05:15 PM
I'm stunned. There's nothing appropriate for me to say.

There are more. A guy rulling a half-island state not far from the USA also said something very close to the first sentence (not as last words though).

LVL 10 Rouge
2007-01-30, 05:18 PM
He did utter some of the greatest last words ever.

To the people who feel that these aren't his last words: It is likely that Shojo will not be raised for several reasons: his age (Once people reach a certain age they may feel that it is time for death), the pending invasion (the army may reach the town before they have a chance to revive him), or the gods may feel that it was his time and refuse to allow him to be revived. This is just my opinion though. (Miko going on a rampage due to the loss of her powers is also a possiblity.)

Golt
2007-01-30, 05:36 PM
These are sure great last words, however my all-time favorite is

Come on! I take your <ekhem> bullets!

ibitak84
2007-01-30, 05:37 PM
One version of Che Guevara's alleged last words is "Stand up straight, you're about to shoot a man!", directed at his executioneer.

Demented
2007-01-30, 05:39 PM
On Nero, that's probably exaggerated. Historians tend to remember only the shiny parts. Which isn't to say he wasn't a psychotic mad man, just that he didn't spend his whole time playing the violin, he surely had to take a break to relieve himself occasionally.

(Really, if my city was burning, I'd tell the FEMA-equivalent to do their thing while I played the violin. I doubt I'd be much good with a pail.)

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-30, 05:39 PM
What did the Black Dragon say?

"The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round..." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html)

Finwe
2007-01-30, 05:41 PM
He did utter some of the greatest last words ever.

To the people who feel that these aren't his last words: It is likely that Shojo will not be raised for several reasons: his age (Once people reach a certain age they may feel that it is time for death), the pending invasion (the army may reach the town before they have a chance to revive him), or the gods may feel that it was his time and refuse to allow him to be revived. This is just my opinion though. (Miko going on a rampage due to the loss of her powers is also a possiblity.)

He also might not want to be raised. When you look at it from his perspective, he really didn't have anything to give him Joy in life. He was unable to have meaningful conversations with anyone, he had to lie to everyone who trusted him, and he had nothing to look forward to in the future.

Sage in the Playground
2007-01-30, 05:46 PM
On Nero, that's probably exaggerated. Historians tend to remember only the shiny parts. Which isn't to say he wasn't a psychotic mad man, just that he didn't spend his whole time playing the violin, he surely had to take a break to relieve himself occasionally.

(Really, if my city was burning, I'd tell the FEMA-equivalent to do their thing while I played the violin. I doubt I'd be much good with a pail.)

Since I think you were responding to a post I deleted:

"Umm... wasn't Nero a psychotic mad man who player the violin while his city burned? And he persecuted Christians.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-01-30, 10:00 PM

"Umm... wasn't Nero a psychotic mad man who player the violin while his city burned? And he persecuted Christians.

Yeah, but still to have your last words be expressing consern over the loss of an artist the world will suffer because of your death is just somehow.... impressive.

(Sheesh, people can find this site and they can't recognize sarcasm?)

Jefepato
2007-01-30, 10:55 PM
Personally I'm a fan of "Nothing can possibly go wrong." But Shojo is close.

Demented
2007-01-30, 11:27 PM

Deleted a post? Oh, you naughty, naughty man! :smallbiggrin:

Tiran
2007-01-31, 03:34 AM
Those are defintely going to be his last words. There's absolutely no reason to bring him back.

faerwain
2007-01-31, 05:19 AM
As most "last words" my example is highly in doubt(as are Nero's and others), but for the fun of it: When Sokrates was forced to poison himself, his wife Xanthippe mourned about him dying innocent. His last words were:"Xanthippe, would you prefer me dying guilty?"

rosebud
2007-01-31, 05:30 AM
wasn't Nero a psychotic mad man who player the violin while his city burned? And he persecuted Christians.This has nothing to do with OOTS, but: Yes, no, yes.

Also, please keep in mind that much in ancient history could just as easily be filed in the fiction section. But the anachronism of a violin (which is a 16th century invention) is too much to let pass. The lute did exist much earlier, but the ancient version had fewer strings. The instrument of choice for Imperial Roman evilgasms would have been the lyre.

Angela Christine
2007-01-31, 05:59 AM
He also might not want to be raised. When you look at it from his perspective, he really didn't have anything to give him Joy in life. He was unable to have meaningful conversations with anyone, he had to lie to everyone who trusted him, and he had nothing to look forward to in the future.

Yes, but if he stays dead, who will look after Mr. Scruffy? :smalleek:

rosebud
2007-01-31, 06:30 AM
As most "last words" my example is highly in doubt (...), but for the fun of it: When Sokrates (...)Please, please, please don't mangle the Phaedo (http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/phaedo.html). :smallfrown: It is easy enough to find his last words: "Crito, I owe a c o c k to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt?" He was thanking the god for an easy death and release.

Actually, the made up example is antithetical to Socrates, and Socrates' actions are a Paladin-worthy example of the Lawful Good alignment. Socrates had the chance to escape Athens and save his life. But doing so, he felt, would be unlawful and destructive to society. He was the victim of men, yes, but still felt it moral and necessary to adhere to the laws of the state, even if it meant his death. Read Crito (http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/crito.html) -- it's not that long, and it talks about issues of fairness, lawfulness, the contract between the state and man, good and evil, and justice. The contrast between Socrates, living the examined life, and Miko, living the unexamined one, is striking.

Amphetryon
2007-01-31, 06:54 AM
*Resists the urge to argue about 'Paladin-worthy' suicide*
I personally like the farcical last words attributed to Socrates in the movie Real Genius (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089886/).... "I drank what?"

Mordaedil
2007-01-31, 06:56 AM
I honestly hope we don't see Shojo again, unless it is in the form of a ghost, such as Roy's father, because it would both cheapen his awesome last words and the plot. It's not supposed to be approached with "oh well, they can always cast raise dead in 5 minutes," when a man is cleaved in half. Besides, since Raise dead doesn't fix being cut in half, I doubt it works. It is also unlikely that he has enough levels to survive a resurrection and he is probably too venerable to survive one anyway. He's dead.

Passing that, aren't there some really nifty Star Trek "last lines"? That Red & Blue cut doesn't really strike me as proper, because it is the equivalent of a fart joke.

The Emperor's last words are also kinda unforgettable (ignoring the Dark Empire comics). "And now, young Skywalker … you will die."

Adygias
2007-01-31, 09:08 AM
Also, please keep in mind that much in ancient history could just as easily be filed in the fiction section.

That seems a little extreme. I'm no historian, but you're supposed to assume that ancient writers aren't pathological liars, right? I don't mean to say that everything they say can be taken as gospel (my line of work tells me that quotation marks aren't much older than violins) but the idea of writing false things for the fun of reading them didn't become widespread until fairly recently.

To me, the hardest part of writing a D&D storyline is getting drama when your reaction to a shocking death is "OH NO! That's going to cost me a THIRD of the diamonds I have on hand!"

Furthermore: "I know you're not going to pull that trigger. You can't. You're not a killer."

rosebud
2007-01-31, 03:16 PM
That seems a little extreme. I'm no historian, but you're supposed to assume that ancient writers aren't pathological liars, right?History is not my advocation, either. All history is a story, and with any story, you have issues like who are the protagonists and antagonists and what is said and what is not said. That is partly why "hindsight is 20/20" is a poor analogy for history.

With many of the Roman histories, one general trend is that they are pro-Roman. That is not unreasonable, given that they were Roman and so were their sponsors and audience. And those histories are sometimes the only ones that survived. In some cases, the goal of a history or historian was to discredit a figure in the past. And so they did, even if that meant hearsay held as much weight as truth.

Just consider the case of Miko, for example. Everyone here read the same strips, but look at the vast differences in opinions.

By the way -- I was thinking about Historia Augusta when I wrote the original statement; it is the only surviving document for part of the period it covers, but it has numerous known fabrications (based on anachronisms present in the documents it purports to cite).

the_tick_rules
2007-01-31, 04:26 PM
the wheels on the bus go round and round i believe.

Darkphibre
2007-01-31, 04:26 PM
What, no Gazpacho Soup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1ikLfsFPM4) fans (33s in)?

ibitak84
2007-01-31, 05:35 PM
I'm no historian, but you're supposed to assume that ancient writers aren't pathological liars, right?Actually, you should. Imagine them like a small group of analog Wikipedia users. :-)

Krellen
2007-01-31, 05:54 PM
Beats the heck out of "And now young Jedi, you will die."

Adygias
2007-01-31, 05:55 PM
Actually, you should. Imagine them like a small group of analog Wikipedia users. :-)

There's a big difference between agenda-driven, fact-fudging writing and lying for fun. Most of our knowledge about ancient history comes from single sources. If we assume that they were just trying to mess with our heads, we 1) have no history, and 2) are assuming less than we would about modern-day writers. Does that sound fair?

SupraGuy
2007-01-31, 05:59 PM
All I can say is this:

Even if :belkar: had not already declared that Shojo was his here, he darn well should be, now.

He has paladins clean the litter box.

He suceeded where Belkar failed, in making Miko lose her Paladin status. (Though Belkar mainly failed in this because of Vaarsuvius' interference.)

Charlybob
2007-01-31, 06:09 PM
Don't care if they're appropriate or not, I'm stealing that line when I die.

Best. Last. Words. EVER...

PaladinFreak
2007-01-31, 06:20 PM
When Grand Admiral Thrawn was stabbed thru the back and looked down at the knife sticking thru his chest, he smiled at his subordinate and whispered "But it was so artistically done."

I was going to quote that!

Another one of my favorites is:
:xykon: "Y'know, actually, this isn't that bad."

And of course I know he comes back, but still, pretty awsome.

faerwain
2007-01-31, 06:22 PM
Please, please, please don't mangle the Phaedo (http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/phaedo.html). :smallfrown: It is easy enough to find his last words: "Crito, I owe a c o c k to Asclepius; will you remember to pay the debt?" He was thanking the god for an easy death and release.

Actually, the made up example is antithetical to Socrates, and Socrates' actions are a Paladin-worthy example of the Lawful Good alignment. Socrates had the chance to escape Athens and save his life. But doing so, he felt, would be unlawful and destructive to society. He was the victim of men, yes, but still felt it moral and necessary to adhere to the laws of the state, even if it meant his death. Read Crito (http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/crito.html) -- it's not that long, and it talks about issues of fairness, lawfulness, the contract between the state and man, good and evil, and justice. The contrast between Socrates, living the examined life, and Miko, living the unexamined one, is striking.

*insert humour-indicating voice here* Easy, boy, easy.
So, it was his last words towards his wife:smalltongue:

Okay, serious:
I would not absolutely take even Plato as a word-accurate source(the posters before made good statements about the reliabilty of such historical tradition), as he wrote Phaedo considerable time after Sokrates' death and may have not been totally objective to the subject(And as far as I know,drinking the Schierling's cup is in no way an "easy death").
I doubt the accuracy of "Last words" in general-like I already stated when I posted my example. Too tempting for admirers to make them up, and if they where not seriously ill for some time and already thought about it, I doubt the ability of most men to make up a witty comment while dying.
But that thoughts aside: Given that I took my phrase from an anecdotes compilation-who maybe targeted more towards Xanthippe with this anecdote-, I do willingly accept your source as far more reliable - and seriously, thanks for the links. But don't get annoyed that I "didn't really look up" when I already say that I post the words "for the fun of it", m'kay? :smallwink: