PDA

View Full Version : IC- Order of the Broken Blade

Griff_Goodbeard
2014-02-18, 10:16 AM
It's nice to be home...

As the Order enters the city of Sharn, the first thing they notice is the crowds. It was only two days until the annual Race of the 8 Winds, and from the looks of the masses flooding into the city, it would be bigger this year than ever. It had been three months the Order had been on the trail of a small band of thieves who had robbed Tara 'ir Valiean, a wealthy socialite and collector of antiquities.

Tara had employed the order to recover the items stolen and bring the outlaws to justice. After an exhaustive hunt that had taken them across the continent, the Order tracked down the rogue band on the Talenta Plains and captured them.

Tara had met the Order outside the city, per their arraignment and taken collection of the items and the prisoners. Tara's guards left with the prisoners and the Order collected their fee. Tara had bought a small tavern in Middle Durra and signed it over to the Order as payment. She assured them that business of running the tavern was being handled rather competently by a jolly fat goblin named Berr'k who was expecting them. She then passed them the deed of ownership and left.

The Order continued on to Sharn, and finally a little rest.

OK, and we're off. You're free to go wherever you'd like in Sharn. The group now own's a tavern (currently named the Galloping Griffin, but you're free to change the name if you'd like as it is under new ownership). Sharn is divided into several districts that span the city. It is also a vertical city with massive towers and elevators that connect the different vertical districts. Keep in mind that in Eberron, monster's aren't always monsters. In Sharn, it's not uncommon to see all manor of creatures, from kolbolds to harpies littering the streets (though the higher you go, the more upperclass it is and the less rabble you'll find.) You can ask me questions about Sharn ad there is also a lot of info on the city online. Feel free to take liberties with NPC names/ locations as we get started. The Order has made Sharn it's unofficial base of operations recently, so while you're still getting to know the layout of the city, your characters have been here several times.

Guineas
2014-02-18, 06:30 PM
Percival is the first to enter the Galloping Griffin; a small place, but enough of a home for a group of wayward mercenaries trying to make their way on Khorvaire. The sounds of his spurs and armor jingle-jangle as he steps swiftly behind the bar, his keen silvery eyes searching for a bottle of proper Aundairian spirits he noticed the previous owners left behind--surely an oversight, as anyone with any buds on their tongue would never purposefully leave behind a nearly-full bottle of Aundairian moonberry schnapps.

Uncorking the bottle and deftly pouring himself a small glass without spilling but the slightest of drops, Percival places the bottle back beneath the counter and raises his glass to the rest of the group entering the room.

"Well, everyone, I do believe that was a job well done. And may I say, Push, that while I've seen many people riding dinosaurs before, you are the first person I've ever met who swung one around as a weapon..."

Rising Chaos
2014-02-18, 06:45 PM
Alister saunters into the bar after Percivel, admiring the quaint, bustling tavern. Most of his homonculi are stored in his handysack but his messerger sits perched on his shoulder, chattering softly as it's head darts back and forth, giving Alister a much larger field of view.
Walking past the bar Alister snatches up a clean glass, similar to Percivel. With a quick smile and a kind word about owing the bartender a favor his Expedious Messenger swoops off his shoulder and behind the counter, emerging a moment later with the same bottle of Aundarian shnapps Percivel had taken earlier. As Alister takes a seat at the table the homonculi places the bottle next to him before flying away to perch on one of the cross-beams supporting the roof.

Pouring himself a good measure of the booze he returns Percivel's toast.
"Don't sell yourself short Perce, I never get tired of watching Fulgrim shatter enemy formations".

Pocal
2014-02-18, 08:11 PM
Push had been the last to enter the tavern, unsure if the doorway would fit his hulking mass. He examined the doorway for any visual damage once he maneuvered through it. He thought he saw a slight scrap mark from a body spike or two.

He turned to Percival when his name was mentioned and replied, "It was better then having it stuck on my spikes. Speaking of my spikes, we may want to adjust the doorway size. I would rather not bring down the whole tavern trying to get in."

Push glances about the room, taking all details into account.

Spot Check: [roll0]

InigoMontoya
2014-02-18, 09:21 PM
Gron steps through the door after the others, surveying the bar that they had received in payment, with a muffled hmph.

Would've probably been better to get the gold, or at least a brothel or apothecary. After the 'free' drinks these folk drink, I doubt we'll see a dime from this place... And what is it with these people, clapping each other on the back for that last debacle, and the one before? Messy, is what it was. What it always is. Push has the right idea. The battle, we deal with. No point in celebrating it. Besides, I advised against this last mission. Nearly half of those thieves were cut down, and for what? Tara's latest knick-knacks are safe. Poor trade, if you ask me.

With that, he takes a seat, heavily, near the others, and speaks, "So, where do we go from here? Are there any other socialites who have lost their tea sets and jewelry here?"

After the inevietable look that is cast his way, he adds, "I know, I know, we gotta pay the bills. Still, there's gotta be something to do here that... well, matters a bit more."

Simba
2014-02-19, 01:38 AM
Entering the bar - their new den if she got it right - Shree stops for a few seconds and sniffs, testing the smell of the place for threats.

Satisfied she looks for a place to settle down, with a solid wall at her back and a good view so she could keep all the entrances - doors and windows - in her field of vision.

Rising Chaos
2014-02-19, 12:41 PM
Alister glances around the bar as he refills his glass, noting the customers giving Push a wide berth, probably because of all those spikes. Taking a sip he turns his head towards Gron.

"Well... at the moment I'm wondering if this tavern has a basement or side room of some sort we can start converting into a hideout. I mean, having a bar to lounge around in is nice but it's not a great place to stash gear or hold private meetings in.
Aside from that I think we need to start putting a long term goal into perspective. Are we trying to bring the order fame and glory? Are we all trying to get rich? Or do we want to find that filth-wipe Jaxson and gut the sonnovabitch?".

As Alister mentions Jaxson his expression flashes from merry to a curled snarl. However the change is brief, and a moment later he's smiling again as he waves a hand to get Shree's attention. His Messenger plunges from the cross-beam to snatch another glass and deposit it on the table beside Alister.
"Hey Shree, over here! Relax for a second, have a drink!".

Paarthurnax1228
2014-02-19, 01:42 PM
Finally making his way in, Lennox surveys his surroundings. He walks over to the bar to have have a drink with the rest of the group. He picks up and examines the bottle of schnapps. "Aundarian eh?", Lennox comments. He poors a glass and then turns to the rest. "Good work everyone. That went smoother than I expected. It seems that they put quite a bit more effort into running than they did fighting. They should have known that they could not lose us. As for what to do next, I must say that Jaxson sounds like a dishonorable coward. I would stand by you if you wished to go that route."

Simba
2014-02-19, 03:06 PM
Hearing her name Shree looks up and quickly moves over, taking a place next to Alister. "Water, please. Drink and I don't mix well. But you know that, right? How could you forget...."

Rising Chaos
2014-02-19, 03:19 PM
Flashing a sly grin towards Shree, Alister nods. As he does his Messenger swoops overhead and disappears behind the bar.
"Course I remember, that's the beauty of little Twitch. We don't even need a waiter really... unless we start ordering food... still don't trust him after he ruined those pheasants...".
Before he's finished talking the messenger, 'Twitch' has returned with a small jug full of ice water. With Alister's help it pours Shree a glass before carrying the drink over to her.

InigoMontoya
2014-02-19, 05:17 PM
Gron almost snorts the mug of water he'd been nursing for a moment, before chuckling... Something about Alister's tone catches Gron's attention, though, and he speaks, a bit less gruffly than earlier...

"I care for neither fame nor glory, and gold no more than the next man... But who is this Jaxson you speak of?"

Pocal
2014-02-19, 06:37 PM
Though nothing changes on his face, the voice that comes out of Push only comes out with one emotion: Hatred.

"Jaxson was once a member of the Order of the Broken Blade who made a deal with the Order of the Claw and turned traitor to us. Within the Order, he is considered kill on sight."

Guineas
2014-02-19, 07:27 PM
Percival enjoys the revelry of his comrades enough; it's good to see a team of such a diverse background getting along. Of course, desperate times call for desperate measures, but maybe--

"who is this Jaxson you speak of?"

The dragoon is snapped from his thoughts as the loathsome image of the changeling cur rears its head in Percival's mind, sneering a toothy look that seems to be forever etched in the half-elf's mind. At hearing Lennox's suggestion, Percival speaks up, while this time pouring himself a small shot of goblin gr'ak.

"No, not just yet. I say, revenge is a dish best served cold. I want to let that little weasel squirm. I want him to think he's safe, that he's out of the woods, that we've let him go on his merry. Then, I want to find him, let him know that we haven't forgotten, and then make him pay for his treachery..."

There's a steel in Percival's voice; a malevolent coldness that chills the mood of the room before he tilts back his shot.

"My two coppers, if that counts for anything," he says in a sour mood, heading back from behind the bar. "But we'd be smart to get our next job lined up sooner rather than later."

InigoMontoya
2014-02-19, 10:33 PM
Oddly, Gron understood where Percival was coming from. He wanted to crush this guy's spirit. He got that simmering rage. However... This was about terrifying the man, and that, Gron knew.

He shakes his head, slightly.

"...Toying with a foe, giving him chances, opportunity to escape punishment, for naught but satisfaction... Not good. If you need that satisfaction, take it on all his accomplices. All his contacts. Let everyone know that working with Jaxson means a long drop at the end of a short rope. It'll draw him out, AND give him terror from the inevitable."

Aron Times
2014-02-20, 06:10 PM
Ivan Kamatayan

Ivan rode on his mechanical pegasus to the Order's new "headquarters," his two other effigies following closely behind. One was a massive lion, its hide and claws and teeth and just about everything made of an alloy of adamantine and several lighter metals (he wasn't about to discuss his secret formula where anyone could hear, nosiree!). The other construct was an ankheg, one of those tunneling creatures whose claws are like double-edged swords for farmers all over Eberron.

Neither effigies' claws and teeth were as sharp as real adamantine, which could cut through just about anything like a hot knife through butter, everything except adamantine itself, but they were close enough. Why this was the case, Ivan didn't know. He was a sorcerer, not a wizard nor an artificer, and he was a practical magic user, not one who knew the more esoteric aspects of the multiverse's most powerful force. Maybe the effigy construction magic he possessed was responsible.

It didn't matter.

Anyway, Ivan took his "animals" to the stables to keep them out of possible rain, and then went into the bar. He was hungry, and he wanted something nice to eat after surviving on rations and other travel food on the way to the City of Spires.

"I'd like something to eat, Mr. Bartender," he said to the goblin. What was the man's name again? Ivan couldn't remember. "What do you have, and what'll it cost me?"

Griff_Goodbeard
2014-02-21, 01:53 PM
The backroom doors swing open, bouncing off the walls with a loud *CLACK*. Berr'k strides into the room, a broad smile on his face. Well, met and hello, The Order of the Broken Blade I presume! The goblin is truly a sight to behold. He is short, even for a goblin with an immense belly that makes him nearly as wide as he is tall. He is in no way slovenly though, despite his enormous girth. He is dressed in a tailored vest made of glammerweave that is adorned with large buttons inset with emeralds. His pressed slacks are trimmed with silver threads. His shoes click on the wooden floor as he scurries across the room to the bar, passing under the bar counter through a small opening near the wall.

He reappears behind the bar, hopping quite nimbly for one of his size onto a narrow rail running the length of the bar. Its clear that without the rail the goblin wouldn't be even be able too reach the bar top.

I am called Berr'k, and I am the manager here at the Galloping Griffin. I welcome you sincerely and am humbly at your service. He ends this sentence in a sweeping bow, his head nearly disappearing under the bar. So where shall we start, my lieges? How about a tour of the establishment?

He regards Ivan, nodding at his question and smiling. Well sir, what is it that you would like? The chef is not here unfortunately. With the ownership in... transition as it were, we haven't been open. But I'm eager to return to the normalcy of the day to day affairs of the Griffin. Now that you're here I can message the staff and let them know we'll be reopening tomorrow! We do have a fine variety of spirits, we're the only place in Sharn that you can get an glass of Eldeen moon cider. And of course as a principal owner you don't pay for anything... or more specifically you pay for everything, so I wouldn't dream of asking you to dip into your pouch for a drink.

Aron Times
2014-02-22, 09:41 PM
Ivan Kamatayan, Human Sorcerer

Ivan paused for a bit to think. "I'll have some... Fine red wine. Doesn't have to be elven. And..." Another pause. "A newspaper. Either the Sharn Inquisitive or the Korranberg Chronicle. I'm not choosy."

Paarthurnax1228
2014-02-23, 12:32 PM
Ha ha! It's free so long as we pay for it eh? All the more reason to find another job soon. Hopefully this place will earn back most of the money we spend on it though.

Rising Chaos
2014-02-25, 12:46 AM
A feral grin came across Alisters face as Gron put forward his plan.
"I like that idea Gron, crush him utterly before we move in. I want to go by the House Cannith outpost here before the days done, if I have time I'll try and stop by the House Tharask building as well and see if we can start on that. ".
As Berr'k enters and introduces himself the feral expression disappears and goes back to his carefree smile.
"Good to meet you Berr'k. We'll do our best to not drink the bar into oblivion. On that note if anything ever happens to the bar, unruly patrons breaking things or the like, let me know. I'm sure I can get House Cannith to help out once in a while".
As Twitch finished putting the glass of water in front of Shree he walked to the edge of the table and twittered softly, looking at the goblin with a tilted head and intrigued expression. Alister glanced at the homonculis and nodded.
"Also, after Ivan's helped, I was wondering if there are any rooms or areas of the tavern that you aren't currently using. Anywhere we could use as a private base of operations, storeroom or the like"

Simba
2014-02-25, 02:21 AM
Shree sniffs at her water before taking a taste, a small sip only. She grimaces but then shrugs and drinks it down in big gulps.

"Anything for me to do? I'd like to help with....well, anything, really. Just let me know."

Pocal
2014-02-25, 08:12 AM
"I second the idea of crushing Jaxson."

From his tone, you get the idea that Push might be talking literally.