PDA

View Full Version : Klireo challenges the APEX

Jormengand
2014-02-18, 10:35 AM
Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) 79/79, no status.
Floor: N/A
Key items: None.

You are lost. The Kasator desert is like an endless wasteland around you, and the massive sandstorm abounding doesn't help. You haven't even reached the tower, and you already feel as though you're about to die.

There is a hill nearby, but apart from that, you can't see anything of use. As another blast of sand comes up, you quickly wish that you'd learnt to survive in the desert.

Take a fortitude save, DC 20.

JBarca
2014-02-18, 01:01 PM
Fort Save
[roll0]

Klireo, feeling that he's floundered about in this wasteland long enough, begins to work.

He first casts Create Water above his head, dousing himself in the liquid, catching as much as he is able in his hands to drink. Refreshed, he sits down and begins to meditate with his prayerbook, attempting to a gap in his mind with the Endure Elements spell written within.

Assuming nothing... unfortunate befalls the monstrosity in the 15 minutes it takes him, he then casts Endure Elements upon himself.

Jormengand
2014-02-18, 01:43 PM
Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) 72/79, no status.

You are blasted by the sand, and manages to inhale some. That can't be good for your health - indeed, you take 7 damage from the rough particles.

You almost drown yourself in water, forming a small pool which clogs the grains of sand together for a while. However, it soon becomes apparent that casting in this weather is hardly ideal, and more sharp dry sand is rolling in.

You can cast endure elements if you want, but you'll need another fortitude save and a concentration check, DC 20. If you want to go somewhere else, you won't have to take another fortitude save for another minute. If you want to stay near the water, you only need another check every ten minutes.

JBarca
2014-02-18, 02:02 PM
IP-aided Fort Save

Concentration Check[roll1]

Coughing and spluttering, Klireo attempts to cast his Endure Elements spell. Staying within his mud puddle, he then pulls a scroll from its casing, and attempts to cast Primal Instincts upon himself.

Concentration Check for the scroll, in case it's needed. [roll]1d20+16)

Assuming both spells have taken hold, Klireo begins to look for signs of tracks or paths, hoping others have gone this way before.

Survival Check, IP aided (With Primal Instincts. If the scroll failed, subtract 5 from this roll)[roll2]

JBarca
2014-02-18, 02:04 PM
Not sure what happened there. Here are the rolls again, in order:

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

[roll3]

Jormengand
2014-02-18, 02:28 PM
Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) 72/79, no status.

You manage to cast the spell and make your way to the tower.

It is a dark night, and as you explore the Kasator desert you can barely make out the shape of Apex, the first of the towers of the archmagi. Due to the poor lighting, it's hard to see the two flags at the front, but you can just about see that they bear the Apex sigil if you look closely. You take a moment to observe the tower.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/722x542q90/691/h6li.jpg

You know that the archmagi, for whom these tasks were meant to be easy, were capable of impressive feats of magic, and could probably have lifted Apex from the ground were it not for its magical protection. In fact, the archmagi were borderline demigods, and they invented several spells which focused on the planes, as well as a multitude of new traps and magical puzzles to guard their knowledge.

Even to the untrained eye, it is obvious that Apex is incredibly top-heavy, and should not, by rights, be able to stand upright alone on such unstable ground. Your trained eye sees that the stones aren't even held together properly - clearly, the entire tower is supported by, or perhaps even made from, magic.

You notice that there is a figure at the bottom of APEX making little to no attempt to hide, merely sitting at the bottom of the tower.

If there was anything that you planned to do before you went in, now would probably be a good time.

JBarca
2014-02-18, 02:54 PM
How large are the windows, and are they open? Perception Check, if necessary: [roll0]
What does the figure look like? Am I able to make anything out? Again, Perception [roll1]

Eyeing the figure for any changes that would interrupt these actions, Klireo walks forward carefully, attempting to get within 60ft of the APEX. Should he do so successfully, he draws his weapon, then casts Detect Magic, scanning the base of the tower, beginning with the figure, then moving on to the door, then finally the windows, stopping and concentrating on any magical auras he perceives.

A few spellcraft rolls, in case they're necessary to ID the auras' schools.
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Jormengand
2014-02-18, 03:21 PM

On further inspection, what first appeared to be windows reveal themselves to be nothing more than arrow-slits. Their spacing suggests that there are eight of them around the tower, and there are more sets higher up.

The figure seems angelic or celestial, maybe an aasimar - you can't tell very well from this angle. It stays still, but turns a wary eye towards you.

As you approach the tower, you immediately notice abjuration, conjuration and transmutation magic on a scale you're not sure you've ever seen before. The entire tower seems to be magical.

JBarca
2014-02-18, 03:34 PM
Dropping his concentration on the spell, Klireo calls out to the being, in Celestial:

"Greetings, Guardian. Will you be forbidding my entry into my tower? I warn you, such a course of action would be naught but folly.

Ready to defend himself if need be, Klireo seeks a spot in the shifting sands that may provide firmer footing, readying himself for possible conflict.

Jormengand
2014-02-18, 03:44 PM

The angel - for that is what, now that you have a closer look, he is - looks intrigued by the fact that you can speak celestial, but sighs and walks to interpose himself between you and the door. He respond "I can only let the archmagi in. I'm in a friendly mood, though, so I'll let you in on a secret. Even if you do get past me, there are things up there that can stop a Solar in his tracks. You're not going to manage to get up there, even if I just let you in."

JBarca
2014-02-18, 03:54 PM
Knowledge (The Planes) check: [roll0] For anything I may know.

"Get 'past you?' Creature, you will allow me to enter this tower unmolested or I will wreak upon you such havoc as you have never witnessed in all your years. Do not test me, for I will not hesitate to end your existence should you bar my entry. Now, move aside, and let me inspect my new home."

Jormengand
2014-02-18, 04:10 PM

You realise too late that this celestial is an Astral Deva, one of the three angels - the most powerful of any celestial creatures. You have already insulted it, however, and it is unimpressed by your attempts to frighten it.

Roll initiative. And, of all the conversation skills to use, intimidate?

JBarca
2014-02-18, 04:15 PM
Eh, I figured I'd bluster my way in. Oh well. Nice known' you, Klireo. [roll0]

"Annihilation it is, then. So be it."

Jormengand
2014-02-18, 04:17 PM

Astral Deva: Uninjured, no status.

Turn: Klireo, Astral Deva.

Well, I dunno, I guess you might be able to beat it? I mean, it's designed so that if you end up fighting the angel, you can probably kill the angel but you're sure as hell not making it to the top.

Anyway, it's your turn first, so...

JBarca
2014-02-18, 04:35 PM
Yeah, that's probably true. I guess I should've knowledged a bit earlier, huh? Oh well.

As the Angel moves, Klireo shouts and charges forward, intending to make a swift end to this. Jumping the last ten feet and swinging his sword in one mighty blow, he attempts to destroy his opponent before giving him a chance to act.

Charge forward. Acrobatic (Jump) Check:[roll0]
Attack Roll (With Cunning Insight): [roll1]
(If Crit confirmation is needed: [roll2] )
Damage: [roll3] x2 on a crit.

If the creature still stands, Klireo spits out "BLUR" and begins to shimmer

Activate Blurring Armor. 20% Miss Chance for 5 rounds.

Jormengand
2014-02-18, 04:46 PM
Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) 40/79, protection from elements, blur

Astral Deva: Injured, no status.

The Deva snarls at you, before smashing into you twice with its mace.

32 damage and fortitude DC 22 or be stunned for 1d6 rounds.

Save or suck, man. Save or suck. :smalltongue:

JBarca
2014-02-18, 04:58 PM
Fort Save IP'd[roll0] Following actions are assuming I passed. If I fail, well, nothing, I guess

Staggering under the weight of the blow, Klireo grunts, and with a bit of effort, removes himself from his spot, before charging forward once again.

Abrupt Jaunt 10 feet back, charge forward.
Acrobatics (Jump) Check [roll1]
Attack Roll (Cunning Insight): [roll2]
(Crit Confirm, if needed: [roll3] )
Damage: [roll4] x2 if a crit

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 08:40 AM
Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) 40/79, protection from elements, blur

Turn: Astral Deva, Klireo

Even the best swordsmen in the world will miss one time in twenty, but this deva manages to hit you twice more.

Another fort save or be stunned, and some damage for you sir.

Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) 12/79, protection from elements, blur

JBarca
2014-02-19, 09:01 AM
Well this is turning out... poorly.
Last IP into the Fort Save -
[roll0]

Seeing his own demise in the making, Klireo prays for a miracle and attempts a slightly different tactic.

He focuses his mind, looking for the opportunity to strike when his opponent is least aware, before whipping his blade into the creature and hopping away.

I'm going to use Sapphire Nightmare Blade. It's a Concentration Check (DC = opponent's AC). If I hit the DC, he is Flat Footed and I get an extra 1d6 of damage on the attack. If I miss the DC, I have a -2 penalty to hit. How would you like me to use Concentration here? DCs in this school of maneuvers are typically based on str mod, so should I use Initiator Level + Str mod for my check? I'd forgotten Pathfinder's Concentration rules when I made this character, my apologies.

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 09:14 AM
Well this is turning out... poorly.
Last IP into the Fort Save -
[roll0]

Seeing his own demise in the making, Klireo prays for a miracle and attempts a slightly different tactic.

He focuses his mind, looking for the opportunity to strike when his opponent is least aware, before whipping his blade into the creature and hopping away.

I'm going to use Sapphire Nightmare Blade. It's a Concentration Check (DC = opponent's AC). If I hit the DC, he is Flat Footed and I get an extra 1d6 of damage on the attack. If I miss the DC, I have a -2 penalty to hit. How would you like me to use Concentration here? DCs in this school of maneuvers are typically based on str mod, so should I use Initiator Level + Str mod for my check? I'd forgotten Pathfinder's Concentration rules when I made this character, my apologies.

(Yeah, it's PCS+CL, so STR+IL looks fine.)

JBarca
2014-02-19, 09:22 AM
Cool.
Then Sapphire Check: [roll0]

Assuming success:
Attack Roll vs FF (-2 if Concentration failed): [roll1]
Confirm if necessary: [roll2]
Damage with successful SNB check (-9 if not FF): [roll3] + [roll4]

Having swung his sword, putting everything he had into it, Klireo falls back and prepares to dodge his opponent's retaliation.

Five-Foot Step back, and will Immediate Action Abrupt Jaunt 10 ft away from the Angel when it attacks.

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 09:27 AM
Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) 12/79, protection from elements, blur

Astral Deva: Near Death

The angel puts his hand over his heart, and smiles as his wounds close.

He then launches himself one hundred feet straight up.

Astral Deva: Uninjured

(Man, why do angels have such high FFAC? Seriously, if that had been a critical, we'd be dealing with a dead Deva here. Sorry, man.)

JBarca
2014-02-19, 09:37 AM
Since there's no battle map, I'd just like to clear this up: I do have 10ft of reach, by nature of being large, so would I have gotten an AoO for his flight? If I was too far away, that's fine, of course. Just making sure.
Oh well on that crit. Was really hoping.

Klireo, seeing his opportunity, casts Invisibility on himself and moves towards the entrance to the tower, hoping to escape the notice of the Angelic being.

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 09:41 AM
Since there's no battle map, I'd just like to clear this up: I do have 10ft of reach, by nature of being large, so would I have gotten an AoO for his flight? If I was too far away, that's fine, of course. Just making sure.
Oh well on that crit. Was really hoping.

Klireo, seeing his opportunity, casts Invisibility on himself and moves towards the entrance to the tower, hoping to escape the notice of the Angelic being.

(Oops, sorry, the angel should have taken a 5-foot step to get out of your threatened area, then healed himself.) You can still try to get past it while invisible, because the listen check on that is ridiculous, but it won't have flown anywhere.)

JBarca
2014-02-19, 09:44 AM
(Oops, sorry, the angel should have taken a 5-foot step to get out of your threatened area, then healed himself.) You can still try to get past it while invisible, because the listen check on that is ridiculous, but it won't have flown anywhere.)

(No worries. I'll keep my same action, then, attempting to slip past the Angel and head towards the entrance.)

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 09:50 AM
Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) 12/79, protection from elements, blur, invisibility

Astral Deva: Uninjured

You go to the door, but it resists your attempts to open it. The angel sighs, and seems to be chanting something for a moment.

Will save, DC 19. On a failure, you take 17 damage. On a success, you cling pathetically to your last four hit points.

JBarca
2014-02-19, 12:57 PM
Just to be sure, although I doubt it'll matter much, did the Deva roll against my SR already? I have 18. If it fails, then I'll get 5 x spell level in Temp HP.
Will Save: [roll0]. +2 if this is enchantment.
Spellcraft, to determine what is killing injuring me.
[roll1]

Assuming Klireo survives, he casts Dispel Magic on the door, then attempts to open it.

[roll2]

Jormengand
2014-02-19, 01:07 PM
Klireo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=801873) -5/79, protection from elements, blur, invisibility

(The Deva has beaten your SR, yeah. It's got a pretty high CL on it.)

You sag to the floor, unconscious before you hit the ground.

You wake up in town, badly wounded but alive. That's got to count for something, right?

YOU HAVE BEEN DEFEATED.

JBarca
2014-02-19, 01:12 PM
Well, that's... comforting. Oh well. I survived a few rounds in combat with an Angel.
Thanks for running this, by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing how the others do.