PDA

View Full Version : Seems too powerful

HauntWrigs
2014-02-18, 10:37 AM
I am a new DnD player--I've completed the solo adventure book in the starter kit--and now exploring character creation. I own the Essentials books and a couple of "power" books.

It seems to me that my characters are too powerful, meaning they get a lot of stuff. Most recently I created a Human Druid. (For this character I also used the Player's Option: Heroes of the Feywild.) But after receiving the Utility for being a human, the Utility for being a druid, receiving two abilities associated with my circle, receiving three Primal Attunements, my 2/1/1/0, and two feats (+1 for being a human), I feel like my character is a beast. By far the most powerful character I've created. Is this accurate?

If you are familiar with Druids, can you please confirm this? Thanks in advance!

obryn
2014-02-18, 10:50 AM
Characters start out with a lot of tricks up their sleeves in 4e. However, the monsters you face will also be pretty hard.

HauntWrigs
2014-02-18, 11:19 AM
Characters start out with a lot of tricks up their sleeves in 4e. However, the monsters you face will also be pretty hard.

Thanks! Although, I'm not sure I find that very comforting!

Kurald Galain
2014-02-18, 11:28 AM
Your power doesn't depend so much on how many abilities you have, but on what these abilities do :smallsmile:

For example, primal attunements are basically cantrips. They're nice to have but not particularly powerful.

HauntWrigs
2014-02-18, 01:00 PM
Your power doesn't depend so much on how many abilities you have, but on what these abilities do :smallsmile:

For example, primal attunements are basically cantrips. They're nice to have but not particularly powerful.

Gotcha. This definitely challenges my understanding of what my character can do. Guess now I have to put it to the test!

Kimera757
2014-02-18, 06:10 PM
I am a new DnD player--I've completed the solo adventure book in the starter kit--and now exploring character creation. I own the Essentials books and a couple of "power" books.

It seems to me that my characters are too powerful, meaning they get a lot of stuff. Most recently I created a Human Druid. (For this character I also used the Player's Option: Heroes of the Feywild.) But after receiving the Utility for being a human, the Utility for being a druid, receiving two abilities associated with my circle, receiving three Primal Attunements, my 2/1/1/0, and two feats (+1 for being a human), I feel like my character is a beast. By far the most powerful character I've created. Is this accurate?

If you are familiar with Druids, can you please confirm this? Thanks in advance!

If you've been through an encounter or two, or a day of adventuring with at least one combat encounter, you will change your mind. Monsters have far higher stats (not ability scores, but things like hit points and damage) than before. You will need it. A 1st-level goblin might deal 9 average damage, 12 with combat advantage, with a +6 bonus to hit, AC 15 and average NAD of 13. It has about 28 hit points, IIRC. And no, that's not a "boss" goblin. (A 1st-level elite goblin gets two attacks with that damage, double the hit points, and +2 to saving throws, in case you use a daily on it. And an action point.)

Mind you, I'm not too familiar with this particular brand of druid, but in general 4e classes aren't overpowered. The math is pretty tight. There is the occasional ridiculous power though.

Tegu8788
2014-02-18, 06:15 PM
In general, your abilities are inversely powerful to how often you can use them. The grey dailies, those are the big guns, the things that make everyone go, "whoa."

Your red encounter powers, those are your special moves, your flashy opener to a fight. Pretty cool.

Your green at-wills, you can sneeze and do this stuff. No effort needed really, these are almost mundane.

Take a look at your powers. If you have a ton of dailies, then you are crazy strong. But if it's all green, then you've got flexibility, but that doesn't make you overpowered. It's true that 4E characters start off much stronger than previous versions, but then again, the monsters are scaled to you.

georgie_leech
2014-02-18, 08:40 PM
Side Note: If you're playing with Heroes of the Feywild, Druids can pick a level 7 power, Charm Beast. Dominate at level 7, as an encounter power, is insane. It even Dazes on a miss; it's ridiculously powerful on a Controller.

HauntWrigs
2014-02-23, 01:59 AM
In general, your abilities are inversely powerful to how often you can use them. The grey dailies, those are the big guns, the things that make everyone go, "whoa."

Your red encounter powers, those are your special moves, your flashy opener to a fight. Pretty cool.

Your green at-wills, you can sneeze and do this stuff. No effort needed really, these are almost mundane.

Take a look at your powers. If you have a ton of dailies, then you are crazy strong. But if it's all green, then you've got flexibility, but that doesn't make you overpowered. It's true that 4E characters start off much stronger than previous versions, but then again, the monsters are scaled to you.

Thanks for the specifics. I did look at my powers: 2 green, 1 red, and 1 black. Everything else comes from class characteristics or racial traits (even though they are utilities!).

HauntWrigs
2014-02-23, 02:07 AM
Side Note: If you're playing with Heroes of the Feywild, Druids can pick a level 7 power, Charm Beast. Dominate at level 7, as an encounter power, is insane. It even Dazes on a miss; it's ridiculously powerful on a Controller.

I was using this book. But I was making a Level 1 character. Guess I'll have to wait to see this domination!