PDA

View Full Version : Lands of the Dark North (D&D 3.5 setting)

DBlues
2014-02-18, 11:09 AM
Here I present you a setting I've been working on for quite some time. The setting is heavily influenced by games like Dwarf Fortress. The name comes from the fact that the area around which most of the action is centered is known as The Great Northern Frontier.

Not much is known about the beginning of the world, and the only ones who know are the dwarves of the Fiery Mountains. At that time Kaerzos, He who was here before the others in ancient dwarven, created the world, and divided his own essence into several parts to create the other god. After that he left the gods with the task of filling the world with marvels and went to rest to the core of the world.

The gods created the dwarves to make a journal of all events, and they started the worship of Kaerzos. The gods created a bit of everything. Animals and plants, dragons and hydras, giants, ettins, trolls and many intelligent races, however there was something preventing the gods from creating races as stable as the dwarves. Most of their creations mutated and died, and very few (those that the gods linked to Kaerzos' power instead of theirs) manage to survive.

Eventually, they found out why. Some of the essence that Kaerzos had used to create the gods hadn't been really used. It floated in the world, and gained form and sentience slowly, by absorbing the essence these new worlds used in their creations. The frustration of the gods made this essence become evil, and seek only to rule and destroy. Thus hellspawn were born. They first physically appeared at the core of the world, which they transformed into a hellish landscape that gave them their name.

The gods couldn't fight these powerful beings, so they used their father to chain the hellspawn to the place were they appeared. The Gates of Hell were created and sealed, and the whole place was surrounded by magical wards to prevent any attempt of teleportation from working. Some lesser hellspawn had escaped, and although they were powerful, they weren't supposed to be a real problem. Just to be sure, the gods created two brother races. One would guard the Gates of Hell. The other one would hunt those hellspawn that had ran away. Both races would be immortal, they would not suffer death from old age, and they would be forever young. Thus were born the origins of the goblinoids and elven races.

To be continued. I prefer to write this a bit at a time as I have to translate it (the original is in Spanish). I believe I can post most of it during this week.