PDA

View Full Version : Guessing I just realized something

Loreweaver15
2014-02-18, 11:36 AM
In 462 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0462.html), Soon isn't making a successful knowledge check; he's been there the whole time, only manifesting once there were enough dead paladins to fuel him, and is privy to all the information Roy and Shojo have discussed in the throne room.

One wonders what his opinion of Shojo was, or of the party.

Snails
2014-02-18, 01:19 PM
One wonders what his opinion of Shojo was, or of the party.

My guess: He may not approve of their methods, but their hearts seem to be in the right place.

BaronOfHell
2014-02-18, 02:43 PM
By watching Shojo rule, Soon may also have gotten some of the insight which Girard wished he had during the scribble adventures.

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-18, 03:11 PM
I can't believe I hadn't thought of Soon's presence that way! Especially since in one of the bonus comics to W&XPs Shojo hints about Soon's presence. (It's the comic where Shojo tricks Eugene into dismissing himself, ala Superman and Mr. Mxyzptlk.)

Soon was there all the time, possibly able to manifest whenever he wished. He most likely knew about Shojo's various schemes and scams, beginning with faking senility, all the way down to trying to circumvent Soon's Oath. While I could see him forgiving the former (since Shojo was trying to defend himself against scheming noblemen, some willing to consort with Devils), I'm certain he was frowning throughout the trial. Maybe that's the reason Shojo asked Roy to speak to him on the balcony (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0289.html):they would be outside the throne room to which Soon was metaphysically bound.

Even if Soon knew about Shojo's scheming with the Order, I'm not sure what Soon could have done besides asking Shojo to stop. The vows that Soon and the other Paladins took only bound them to defend the Azure City Gate in life and as spirits. Shojo wasn't threatening the Azure City Gate, he was merely acting in a Chaotic manner.

hamishspence
2014-02-18, 03:37 PM
Soon was there all the time, possibly able to manifest whenever he wished. He most likely knew about Shojo's various schemes and scams, beginning with faking senility, all the way down to trying to circumvent Soon's Oath. While I could see him forgiving the former (since Shojo was trying to defend himself against scheming noblemen, some willing to consort with Devils), I'm certain he was frowning throughout the trial. Maybe that's the reason Shojo asked Roy to speak to him on the balcony (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0289.html):they would be outside the throne room to which Soon was metaphysically bound.

I could see him being rather shocked at Miko's attacking both Shojo and Hinjo.

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-18, 03:41 PM
I could see him being rather shocked at Miko's attacking both Shojo and Hinjo.

Could Soon have manifested to stop her? According to Hinjo, when she attacked Shojo she came pretty close to destroying the Sapphire on the throne.

hamishspence
2014-02-18, 03:49 PM
I do wonder.

Perhaps he simply didn't anticipate it in time.

Everyl
2014-02-18, 04:09 PM
Soon always believed that the honor of a paladin is unbreakable.

Miko is the one who taught him that the sanity of a paladin is, sometimes, breakable.

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-18, 04:17 PM
Soon always believed that the honor of a paladin is unbreakable.

Miko is the one who taught him that the sanity of a paladin is, sometimes, breakable.

Maybe the reason Miko got a sound and light show from the Twelve Gods when she fell was because of Soon's presence. Perhaps they wanted to show him that they were equally upset by Miko's actions.

LuisDantas
2014-02-18, 04:28 PM
My guess: He may not approve of their methods, but their hearts seem to be in the right place.

I'm not sure a LG character would have such an opinion of anyone. A Paladin probably would not.

hamishspence
2014-02-18, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure a LG character would have such an opinion of anyone.

That's pretty much how Roy's Deva sums him up though:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-18, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure a LG character would have such an opinion of anyone. A Paladin probably would not.

Hinjo and O-Chul both respect Roy, as a Fighter, as a strategist and as a Lawful Good man. I'd be willing to bet that Soon Kim would have felt the same way. It's only Miko who held unreasonable standards for everyone around herself. If there was anyone Soon would have had a low opinion of it was Eugene Greenhilt. In the bonus comics to W&XPs, Shojo tries to get Eugene to leave quietly, hinting that someone's not happy with Eugene's presence. The someone was almost certainly Soon.

Snails
2014-02-18, 05:37 PM
My personal take is the key aspect of paladinhood is to set high goals as a tool for achieving greatness. But note that "high goals" does not mean the same goals for everyone. Soon may well recognize that Shojo and Roy were measuring themselves by a very high bar, just not the same bar a paladin would ever choose.

Miko, of course, was very confused on this point and other related important points. She was at best a marginal example of paladinhood on her good days.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-18, 06:44 PM

Why not? :smallconfused:

Just because you're Lawful Good doesn't mean you have to hold everyone to your own high standards. You're certainly able to see whether somebody is trying to do the right thing even if they're using a method you wouldn't have chosen.

Loreweaver15
2014-02-18, 09:01 PM
Why not? :smallconfused:

Just because you're Lawful Good doesn't mean you have to hold everyone to your own high standards. You're certainly able to see whether somebody is trying to do the right thing even if they're using a method you wouldn't have chosen.

This.

Luis, we have in-comic evidence of a being literally made of Lawful Good expressing that Roy's Goodness is irrelevant to the law/chaos axis. i'm not sure what more you need to see that being Lawful doesn't mean you look down on people; it's just a different way of doing things from us Chaotic people.