PDA

View Full Version : AT will arcane spell so I can use Eternal wand Or good armors to match g

kpumphre
2014-02-18, 12:05 PM
So I'm playing a scout and I want to use greater mage armor (currently have a 22 dex and it is going up to 24 in a few games.) So I want my dex to keep helping. So I was like hey an eternal wand of mage armor. Use it twice a day and gives me a base ac of 22 right now before anything else.

However it says you need to be able to use arcane spells. So what items could I use? Would an item work to qualify?

I could get mage hand at will but want to see if their were any others. Or any good armors that would match Greater mage armor or work better with my higher dex.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-18, 12:10 PM
You can just use UMD to emulate the spellcasting class feature. DC 20.

tricktroller
2014-02-18, 12:35 PM
also celestial armor is pretty much the end all be all of high dex armors and is located in the DMG.

Nettlekid
2014-02-18, 12:42 PM
Why not try Gnome Twistcloth with Magic Vestment cast on it?

kpumphre
2014-02-18, 02:01 PM
Never heard of the gnome thing where is that from

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-18, 02:02 PM
Is greater Mage armour a personal spell? If not you could ask your friendly arcane caster to use the wand on you.

tricktroller
2014-02-18, 02:06 PM
its touch.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-18, 02:08 PM
There it is, buy the Wand with your money and ask the arcane caster to cast it on you early in the morning. It is hours per level so a CL 8 Eternal wand should be enough to last all the adventuring day.

kpumphre
2014-02-18, 02:08 PM
We don't have any. I was playing one and then got polymorphed in to a snake. All we have now is a bard, and a cleric... hmm would Bard be able to

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-18, 02:16 PM
IIRC Eternal wand only requires you to be an arcane caster to activate them so a bard should be able to do it, the cleric too if he has the Magic Domain.

Rebel7284
2014-02-18, 02:20 PM
Magical Training (regional feat) allows you to cast a few cantrips. It should qualify for eternal wand usage.

tricktroller
2014-02-18, 02:28 PM
As long as you are an "arcane caster" you can use an eternal wand.

kpumphre
2014-02-18, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the feat idea. I might try asking the bard. Didn't think of her since she normally doesn't cast

Sorry Should of mentioned since I'm coming in because of character death My new guy was captured and all my equipment was destroyed except my legacy bow.

My dm will be giving me some items. Not necessarily what I would pick since my character grabbed them as he escaped. So I figure max I'll have 12k in gold to spend after I sell the stuff to deck out my character for beyond his weapon. He will be 11th level when we get back to town and rest up. Currently is level 9.

Nettlekid
2014-02-18, 03:03 PM
Never heard of the gnome thing where is that from

Gnome Twist Cloth is an exotic armor from Races of Stone. It has a +1 Armor bonus to AC, no ACP, 5% ASF, and no maximum Dex. If you're proficient with it (by taking a feat) you get to apply the armor bonus to Touch AC too, so if you used Magic Vestment on it to make it +5 Gnome Twist Cloth, that's +6 to your normal AC and +6 to your Touch if you take the feat. Not really worth the feat, but good to know.

Alternatively, buy a Schema of Luminous Armor (Greater), for 3 (7) hours of +5 (+8) armor that has no penalties at all, and shines magical light (maybe bad for scouting, but it forces a -4 penalty on all melee attacks against you.)
The only downside is that it costs 1d2 (1d3) points of Strength damage to cast, but you only take that at the end of the duration, and a Schema/Wand of Lesser Restoration ought to take care of that in a snap.

Chronos
2014-02-18, 06:36 PM
Note that Scouts do not have UMD as a class skill.

Having the bard do it for you works fine, though.