PDA

View Full Version : interactions between summons and turn/command abilities

TmasterT
2014-02-18, 12:27 PM
so a few questions

1. so if a player summons a fire creature (say an elemental) tells it to attack a cleric with the fire domain, and said cleric then uses his command fire ability and wins who controls the creature?? If the cleric does is there anyway for the player to regain control (short of killing said cleric)?

2. if a character has taken the undead familiar feat and a cleric uses rebuke/cmd does he then control the familiar?? and is there a way for the character to regain control?? same for undead leadership?

TmasterT
2014-02-20, 02:10 AM
anyone??
rules?
ideas?

JDL
2014-02-20, 03:19 AM
Multiple Mental Control Effects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#combiningMagicalEffects)

Sometimes magical effects that establish mental control render each other irrelevant, such as a spell that removes the subjects ability to act. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with each other. If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.

TmasterT
2014-02-20, 01:42 PM
ok so that would help with question #1, but what about familiars/animal companions/cohoarts which don't technically have a magic effect on them

Zweisteine
2014-02-20, 01:48 PM
I would assume that a familiar/animal companion/special mount would be affected as normal by any enchantment. Since they technically obey freely (I believe), or at least semi-willingly, they would be subject o the full effect of any mind-affecting ability.

The same would go for cohorts, wild cohorts, and followers.

It gets tricky if you try to enchant a Thrallerd's thrall or elivers, as those are obeying because of a psychic compulsion. But those aren't part ofthe question, so I'll leave it at that.

Undead familiars, though... Those I would assume to already be magically under their owner's control out of necessity, so I imagine that would lead to a situation similar to what happens with a summoned creature.