PDA

View Full Version : Staggering Note Question around forced movement

cbarrett76
2014-02-18, 12:30 PM
Hey guys,

Question on this power. The power says: "Charisma modifier thunder damage, and you push the target 2 squares. As a free action, an ally of your choice can make a melee basic attack against the target before, after, or during this forced movement."

My question is, do I HAVE to push the target at all? Per the text they can do the attack before the forced movement so I know my ally can get the free attack off. But, let's say the fighter and ranger have the monster in flank. Can I use this power to give one of them a free hit but decline to push the target so that i don't ruin their flank? The reason I ask is the text says "and you push the target" not "and you CAN push the target" Does that make a difference?

NecroRebel
2014-02-18, 12:34 PM
All forced movement powers' distance is a maximum. You can move the target less or not at all as you choose. See Rules Compendium page 212.

The exception is when a destination is specified, but that isn't the case here.

sniffies
2014-02-18, 01:24 PM
Can you cause a forced movement of 0 and cause a trigger?
Take "Create a Target" for example. Would an adjacent ally be allowed to OA an enemy which was moved 0?

GPuzzle
2014-02-18, 01:29 PM
Even better, combine both! Push the enemy a few squares past a friend, creating an opportunity attack and allow said friend to hit the enemy with it!

obryn
2014-02-18, 01:30 PM
Take "Create a Target" for example. Would an adjacent ally be allowed to OA an enemy which was moved 0?
Staggering Note isn't an OA; it's a melee basic as a free action.

NecroRebel is right; any power that specifies a numeric distance allows for a slide/shift/move/etc. of 0. Any exceptions are clearly stated (clearly) within the power itself.

Gavran
2014-02-18, 01:43 PM

I'd say yes. "Move 0" is a valid trigger for a bunch of other things, and with Create a Target the trigger is "forces the target to move". Forcing them to Move 0, in this case.

@Obryn Create a Target (Warlord L1 Daily) lets one of your allies take an Opportunity Action mba when you hit someone with forced movement.

RealCheese
2014-02-18, 05:21 PM
Even better, combine both! Push the enemy a few squares past a friend, creating an opportunity attack and allow said friend to hit the enemy with it!

Forced movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Edit: Though that might have been in reference to the 'Make a Target' thing, in which case disregard me.