View Full Version : PFS Halfling Beast Master Ranger Help

Bigbeefie
2014-02-18, 01:01 PM
So I Finally decided what I need to play for PFS. Most the people I group with play casters or simi-casters that no one can really take a front line stance. I asked the main GMs and they all say it seems to be a common thing where I play that no one really plays a solid martial type.

Now I am Familiar with Playing casters but I hardly ever play around with a martial type. But I figure I will give it a go. The type of Character I wanted to Make was a Giant Gecko Riding Halfling. But I need Help Nailing down the right Feats and Such. I will give you all what I got and let you guys make a few suggestion on how I can make him a wrecking Lance who gets to climb walls for safety.

The Character

Halfling (Outrider) Beast Master Ranger

20 point Buy: ??? 15 str, 14 dex, 15 con, 8 int, 12 wis, 10 cha ???
(Need help here....don't wanna tank Cha for Handle animal checks and untrained CHA social checks. not going to be a face but want to succeed at handling my animal.)

Traits: Magical Knack and ???

Feats:
1- Power attack
Combat Style- Ride By attack
3- Boon companion
5- Mounted Combat
Combat Style- Spirited Charge
7-Trick Riding ??? (is it worth taking?)???
9- Risky Striker or Big Game Hunter ???
Combat Style- Mounted Skirmisher
11- Improved Critical- Lance ???

Favored Enemies: ???

I don't Know what is Best for Pathfinder Play but I was thinking Undead, human, and Evil Outsiders But if there are more common things I would like to take those things.

Skills:
Ride, Handle Animal, Perception, Survival (these are a must)
Profession (not a must but I like the Extra gold it brings.)

Things with ??? I need help on deciding whats best and what I would get most profit from.

I have 0 experience with a mount and Mounted combat. I want him to be able to survive and carry me through the entire campaign. As far as I know he doesn't get to attack on the Spirited charge. Am I wrong? Here is what I got so far.

The mount:

Stick Foot Giant Gecko

Feats:
1-Toughness ???
2- Valiant Steed ???
5- Armor Proficiency - Light ( I want him in some light Barding)
8- Extra Magic Item Slot- Belt (He gets body and Neck already.)
10- ???

Tricks:
Attack all
Defend
Guard
Come
Down

I hardly know much on how to use a mount or how to feat one out for the goal I'm going for. I want him a little more resilient to combat and be able to stay alive. But I believe a character uses a mount for a double move increasing movement speed and the attacks come from the Lancer.

Help here is greatly appreciated. The only thing I wont change is the Mount type. I really like the gecko flavor.

Please any advice on this character would be appreciated as I'm new to mounted combat completely and Simi-new to PFS play. (though I have years of Pathfinder experience all on Full casters.) Just please offer why you are suggesting what you are so I can deliberate and understand the reasons for the change.