PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Build Advice: 3.5 sorcerer with Pathfinder Bloodline

Shining Wrath
2014-02-18, 03:29 PM
New campaign about to start; 3.5 rules, we're playing some reasonably high-op characters (with one exception, to be noted below).

Starting at level 1, heading for level 20, with a low magic campaign - e.g., potions available only in big cities.

We will be using the spell points variant from UA, with a DM generated points per level formula: A sorcerer gets L*L + L + 1 base; others get less (quite a bit less, for a bard). The casting ability bonus is L/2*(modifier). Obviously, then, I max out Charisma, but I knew that coming in.

We get a minimum of 4 skill points per level per house rule.

Party thus far:
Me: Sorceress, with the Stormborn (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/coreClasses/sorcerer.html)bloodline from Pathfinder back-fitted to 3.5. Human with Storm Giant ancestry
C: Rogue / Pixie gestalt
D: Warlock / Mystic Ranger gestalt
K: Fighter / TBD gestalt; player does not like paperwork of spellcasters so TBD will be non-caster
R: Cleric of Cyndor

So, yeah, butts will be kicked and names taken. The Fighter just needs to keep them busy for enough rounds that the blasty Warlock and the invisible back-shooting Pixie can take them out, while the Cleric keeps us all buffed and I mix BFC, debuffs, and blasts as needed. Of course, at level 1 I'll be shooting them with a crossbow :smalltongue:

Keeping on topic: I am not looking for someone to explain to me that Tier 1 is better than Tier 2. Please stick with the concept of a Stormborn Sorcerer in your suggestions. I know this will be hard for some of you. Also, improving my fellow party member's choices is not our topic, tempting as it may be to say "Fighter? Why not WARBLADE?". I played a Warblade a couple of campaigns back, K knows what one is, I'm not going to try to beat her into optimization.

Stormborn gives me +1 DC for electric and sonic spells, some bonus spells (but not all of them are good ones: Shocking Grasp? Really?), and some bonus SLA class features. Knowledge(Nature) as a class skill.

Dilemma the first: Feats. Energy Substitution: Electric seems like a natural fit to the concept. Other than that, I'm trying to talk the DM into letting me be an Apprentice to a Mentor - it fits the back story well, and free ranks in UMD are nothing for a Sorcerer to sneeze at (nor is an extra L1 spell).

But there's so much metamagic goodness, and Eschew Materials just seems so ... sorcerous. It's not a strong feat, but it fits the concept.

Dilemma the second: Skill points. Given that it's a low magic campaign, is it worth it for me to learn how to craft wands, which is the usual sorcerer approach to padding the thin spell list?

Dilemma the third: Ability scores. We have a 32 point buy. I see no merit to not maximizing caster ability for a primary caster; therefore, 18 points to Charisma and every possible bonus goes there, along with buying boosts if they are available.

I'm confident I can dump Strength. I'm pretty sure I can dump Wisdom, or just put a couple points into it so I won't be completely clueless on Listen & Spot & Will saves.

But that leaves everything else. Dexterity for AC and tossing orbs? Constitution because HP are a Good Thing? Intelligence so I can craft?

Spell choices: Mage Armor seems necessary in a world where Rings of Protection and Bracers of Armor may be uncommon. For flavor, I'd like Lesser Sonic Orb, but practicality drives me toward Sleep, which I'll swap for Grease at Level 4. At Level 1 Sleep is the Win Button spell.

And now I open the floor to you, my esteemed advisers. You have probably noted I'm trying to work a concept here, not just go for pure power optimization - but as noted many times hereabouts, the two are NOT incompatible.