PDA

View Full Version : Analysis Elan's plan for Ian

Tiiba
2014-02-18, 05:23 PM
In 941 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0941.html), Elan proves his loyalty to Ian by suggesting some kind of plan to defeat Tarquin.

I just realized: how does Ian know that this plan wasn't cooked up by Tarquin himself or one of his allies? (Like Elan, for instance.) That's a great way to lead someone into a trap.

Metahuman1
2014-02-18, 05:30 PM
Well, the plan is likely too well though out, Chaotic, and relies far to heavily on ignoring anything that in any way shape or form reflects Tarquins world view, alignment, personality and preferences to be related too him.

Angralad
2014-02-18, 05:35 PM
Well there's several ways to look at it.

One is Ian didn't believe Elan and simply played possum. Which I find unlikely; Ian wouldn't have held his tongue.

Another is that the plan is so good it is difficult to pass up, even if it is a trap. Knowing where that there is a trap, where it is and what form it takes makes it less dangerous to walk into said trap.

However I believe it must be something that not even Tarquin would think about. Possibly involving his love for story structure and adherence to norms/tropes, which Tarquin may acknowledge at some level but not truly understand as his own weakness. Not sure if I'm explaining myself: Tarquin knows he loves story structure and that yes, he is a 'bit' anal about it. Tarquin however does not recognize this as a serious flaw or even as his weakness, nor does he understand exactly how deep it can go or how disfiguring it can be to his better judgement. Therefore he'll be blind to an attack that exploits this even though he knows he 'suffers' from it.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-18, 05:42 PM
In 941 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0941.html), Elan proves his loyalty to Ian by suggesting some kind of plan to defeat Tarquin.

I just realized: how does Ian know that this plan wasn't cooked up by Tarquin himself or one of his allies? (Like Elan, for instance.) That's a great way to lead someone into a trap.

Perhaps the plan was something that couldn't be countered easily, or didn't have any point where a trap could be set. Or maybe it was just a general outline, a brief suggestion for Ian. After all, he was able to look at it very quickly.

Tiiba
2014-02-18, 05:46 PM
Well, the plan is likely too well though out, Chaotic, and relies far to heavily on ignoring anything that in any way shape or form reflects Tarquins world view, alignment, personality and preferences to be related too him.

So what sort of plan would that be? Some violation of a common plot?

I bet Hannah will kidnap the Empress of Blood. You know, princess* kidnaps dragon.

*...(or the closest available approximation)...

konradknox
2014-02-18, 07:25 PM
Or maybe, just maybe, the old man Starshine showed some character development of his own towards positivity and accepting his daughter's choice of trust.

Tiiba
2014-02-18, 08:27 PM
Or maybe, just maybe, the old man Starshine showed some character development of his own towards positivity and accepting his daughter's choice of trust.

He wasn't that developed in the earlier parts of the same strip. It was the plan that won him over.

zimmerwald1915
2014-02-18, 08:28 PM
He wasn't that developed in the earlier parts of the same strip. It was the plan that won him over.
Character development is best when it happens on-panel.