PDA

View Full Version : Ideas and books for a magical robot themed d20 game

Dr.Orpheus
2014-02-18, 06:35 PM
I've been working on a RPG system for creating robots piece by piece with a point buy system using fantacy metals like mithril and such. I'm taking ideas from exalted, mechwarior, D&D, and d20 future. I was wondering if anyone had other sources I could pull ideas from and if you are interested I will PM you when I am at the point where it needs beta testing and I can run a pbp game and link you to a google document with all the rules.

Kaje
2014-02-18, 06:37 PM
Look into Mechamorphosis, from Fantasy Flight Games. It's basically D20 Transformers.

shylocke
2014-02-18, 06:43 PM
Or d20futuretech

Maginomicon
2014-02-18, 06:51 PM
There's also this (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=17CABKHnYCJSr1VsBBALddw_MZP84LwhaJjJ0C7NKEu E) and this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis).

Arbane
2014-02-18, 09:35 PM
There's BESM d20, but it's out of print (and I don't know if it's any good).

Iron Kingdoms, maybe? ISTR it's got smaller mecha.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-02-19, 10:14 AM
Well I will expand my research into those areas. and in case I was not specific enough (because I made the OP on my phone) I mean to have a system where you can customize down to the point where you can chose the metal each piece is made out of as well as the structure, where it is placed, any outer protective coatings it has, how the part will be cooled and fueled. If those games do not have similar mechanics they will still be of use to me, but thats how I plan the game to end up.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-19, 01:01 PM
Look at the D20 future mecha and robot building rules. They may shed some light on how to allow the PC's to hold onto such variable character creation rules.

dysprosium
2014-02-19, 01:07 PM
Dragonmech might be of some interest to you.

It is a 3rd party series of sourcebooks about fantasy mechs. There are parts of the books about labor and different materials. Some of the mechs are clockwork, man powered, steam powered, or undead.

Arbane
2014-02-19, 03:36 PM
Well I will expand my research into those areas. and in case I was not specific enough (because I made the OP on my phone) I mean to have a system where you can customize down to the point where you can chose the metal each piece is made out of as well as the structure, where it is placed, any outer protective coatings it has, how the part will be cooled and fueled. If those games do not have similar mechanics they will still be of use to me, but thats how I plan the game to end up.

O_o

If you want it THAT complicated, I'll unironically recommend GURPS Vehicles.

Gemini476
2014-02-19, 03:45 PM
O_o

If you want it THAT complicated, I'll unironically recommend GURPS Vehicles.

...Is there a GURPS: Mecha or something? Because that seems like something that would work.

I don't think Vehicles was that much for bipedal bots, was it?

shylocke
2014-02-19, 03:48 PM
Look at the D20 future mecha and robot building rules. They may shed some light on how to allow the PC's to hold onto such variable character creation rules.

Also the implanted weapons and replacement limbs section. That book has stats for building from the skeleton on out.

Arbane
2014-02-19, 04:10 PM
...Is there a GURPS: Mecha or something? Because that seems like something that would work.

I don't think Vehicles was that much for bipedal bots, was it?

I think there is a GURPS Mecha, but I don't know if it's as insanely complex as GURPS Vehicles is.

Dr.Orpheus
2014-02-19, 07:27 PM
Also the implanted weapons and replacement limbs section. That book has stats for building from the skeleton on out.
My current idea is to build from the skeleton out, though I plan to add modifiers for building the frame out of different materials which may be different than the material of armor the armor or ammo. The material modifiers will effect things like hardness, but also energy conduction, weight, and flexibility. You would be able to add or subtract limbs and change the size of the torso which alters the the number of weapons you can have, speed, stability, and the cost of the frame and armor.

In terms of GURPS it has good complexity and good detail, but it's less detailed for how complex it is, but like the other suggestions I have not read into yet I will still probably read through them for ideas for accessory hardware and to see how I should weight prices for things.