PDA

View Full Version : I a sad panda...

Antonok
2014-02-18, 06:57 PM
No more Bioshock series. (http://www.irrationalgames.com/)

All good things must come to and end, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. :smallconfused:

Tiki Snakes
2014-02-18, 07:55 PM
Nope.
No more Bioshock by Irrational Games, on account of they are butchering their own team so they can make smaller downloadable games, or some such thing.

I’m handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative.

They're doing a 343 Industries kind of thing it seems, only with significantly more layoffs.

The_Jackal
2014-02-18, 08:01 PM
Honestly, this is a good thing. One of the biggest problems besetting the video-games industry is too many sequels, too little new IP. Bioshock had a good run. No need to spoil it with a bunch of Nintendo-style retreads for the next 15 years.

Winthur
2014-02-18, 08:25 PM
Wait a minute, that card...
good riddance
Also, I can't wait for Ken Levine to come up with a kickstarter to leech on hype and expectations and make another pretentious disappointing project. Maybe in June. There's nothing to worry about.

factotum
2014-02-19, 03:36 AM
All good things must come to and end

And I suppose Bioshock has to come to an end as well, though not sure how it's related. :smallwink:

Seriously, first game was OK but far too easy, second game was just garbage, and what I've seen of the third one doesn't suggest it's improved any from #2--it's just a mediocre FPS with a heavy layer of story put in to try and hide the fact. The fact it's a massive cash cow for 2k means that they'll probably still be making it for the next 15 years, though, just as happened with Halo after Bungie said they'd produce no more themselves.

Trazoi
2014-02-20, 06:47 PM
Unfortunately it was inevitable. No matter what your opinion is of Bioshock Infinite as a game, it was a AAA project that should have taken three years but ended up taking six. It just wasn't the sort of game that could justify that level of investment.

I feel sorry for the Irrational developers; I don't think there's much game dev left in Boston so they're probably going to be forced to choose between relocating, taking a risk going indie or end up leaving the industry.