PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Time Stop while in Motion: How Does it Function?

HaikenEdge
2014-02-18, 07:16 PM
If one casts Time Stop from a readied action while in midair, exactly what happens? Does it temporarily break the fall (by suspending the caster in the air)? Does the caster continue falling?

Actually, what happens when a caster casts Time Stop while sinking into an ocean? Do they need to continue check for drowning? How about while on a dead sprint? I assume momentum rules don't apply to D&D?

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-18, 07:25 PM
Time Stop is a misnomer. You are acting very very quickly, not slowing everyone else down. At least, that's how I understand and been explained to me.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-18, 07:32 PM
Time Stop doesn't actually stop anything, least of all time. What it really does is speed you up so fast that everything else seems to be frozen.

Using Time Stop mid-air will temporary halt your descent, but it doesn't actually break your fall. You'll still take the full amount of damage when you slow back down again, because your speed and momentum don't change. Without some ability to fly, you won't be able to move mid-fall.

Using Time Stop while swimming should be just like using it on land. You might be able to convince the DM to lower the Swim DC if the seas were particularly stormy. If you're under water, you'll still need to hold your breath. If you're already drowning, you can't cast Time Stop because Step 1 of drowning is that you fall unconscious.

You cannot cast Time Stop while sprinting because Run is a full-round action. Even if you could, the spell just speeds you up. Nothing abnormal would happen.

TuggyNE
2014-02-18, 07:35 PM
If one casts Time Stop from a readied action while in midair, exactly what happens? Does it temporarily break the fall (by suspending the caster in the air)? Does the caster continue falling?

Gravity still operates on the same actual timescale, I think, so not really: they only fall at the end of the actual round, not each of the apparent rounds. Alternatively, reduce falling rate appropriately (which might take more math than is really desirable) for each of the rounds such that after all the apparent rounds have passed, the caster has fallen the same distance at the same speed as they otherwise would have.

Actually, what happens when a caster casts Time Stop while sinking into an ocean? Do they need to continue check for drowning?

Hmm. Since their breathing is faster, I'd say yes.

How about while on a dead sprint?

Con checks for running, you mean? Same.

I assume momentum rules don't apply to D&D?

Not as such, no. Movement rules are too precisely specified to really allow that.

OldTrees1
2014-02-18, 07:38 PM
I believe Time Stop permits movement.

This spell seems to make time cease to flow for everyone but you. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds.

So you are moving faster than normal.

Normal and magical fire, cold, gas, and the like can still harm you.

You are not immune to the environment despite your speed.

While the time stop is in effect, other creatures are invulnerable to your attacks and spells

Other people are immune to your actions.

Most spellcasters use the additional time to improve their defenses, summon allies, or flee from combat.

Movement is explicitly allowed.

You cannot move or harm items held, carried, or worn by a creature stuck in normal time, but you can affect any item that is not in another creature’s possession.

You can affect the environment.

Conclusion:
You continue falling
You can drown, but you can swim

Bigmchuge
2014-02-18, 08:22 PM

Actually, what happens when a caster casts Time Stop while sinking into an ocean? Do they need to continue check for drowning? How about while on a dead sprint? I assume momentum rules don't apply to D&D?

1. No the caster does not continue to fall since gravity is the only thing pulling you down, a case could be made for momentum, but the time stopping should prevent that from being an issue as well. Time stop would theoretically suspend you in mid air since no real seconds are passing by and therefore no meters are being traveled. If you had a means of flying, I would agree you could move. Without a method of flying, I would argue that you could possibly "swim" through the air, albeit at a relatively reduced speed. I argue this because the Flash can do it, and that's basically what time stop does is give you near light-speed ability.

2. Also no, the caster would not continue sinking since there is nothing currently pulling him down. You wouldn't need to worry about drowning, since the water would not rush into your mouth, unless you are sucking it in. However; since there is no available air, you might have to worry about suffocating until you break the surface, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't hold your breath for 30 sec. (max 5 rounds x 6 sec./round), even while exerting yourself.