PDA

View Full Version : Traces of Magic

Sugarbear007
2014-02-18, 09:41 PM
Howdy all :P

When something has been near magic or part of some kind of spell casting then said object or person is examined in some way. Is there some kind of rule or description in any of the 3.5 books that allows you to discern that they have been involved with some sort of magic?

Let me give an example from a scenario I was coming up with.

Party is looting corpses (because all adventurers are part buzzard) and the named antagonist's body produces a key on a leather cord around his neck. The key has no markings, its a simple iron key. My thoughts were that the key would allow the group to bypass a warded door safely simply by having it displayed around the lead characters neck. The description of "glyph of warding" says it can be set to physical characteristics so the spell "perceiving" the key doesn't seem like its much of a stretch if any.

My questions are thus.

1) If someone is using detect magic or arcane sight or some such spell would this key have an aura of magic? I'm thinking no because its not really part of the spell or enchanted.

2) Is there some kind of skill function to tell that the key has been in or around spell casting at all?

3) In general does magic leave detectable traces? Like examining a blackened section of ground could you tell that it was caused by a fireball over some more mundane explosion like black powder (besides the process of elimination, finding trace elements of a bomb perhaps)

4) If the third question is yes, how?

Thanks for the help.

qwertyu63
2014-02-18, 10:03 PM
Howdy all :P

When something has been near magic or part of some kind of spell casting then said object or person is examined in some way. Is there some kind of rule or description in any of the 3.5 books that allows you to discern that they have been involved with some sort of magic?

Let me give an example from a scenario I was coming up with.

Party is looting corpses (because all adventurers are part buzzard) and the named antagonist's body produces a key on a leather cord around his neck. The key has no markings, its a simple iron key. My thoughts were that the key would allow the group to bypass a warded door safely simply by having it displayed around the lead characters neck. The description of "glyph of warding" says it can be set to physical characteristics so the spell "perceiving" the key doesn't seem like its much of a stretch if any.

My questions are thus.

1) If someone is using detect magic or arcane sight or some such spell would this key have an aura of magic? I'm thinking no because its not really part of the spell or enchanted.

2) Is there some kind of skill function to tell that the key has been in or around spell casting at all?

3) In general does magic leave detectable traces? Like examining a blackened section of ground could you tell that it was caused by a fireball over some more mundane explosion like black powder (besides the process of elimination, finding trace elements of a bomb perhaps)

4) If the third question is yes, how?

Thanks for the help.

1: No. The key is not enchanted, so it has no aura.
2: If the key was targeted by a spell, it would have a dim aura that detect magic could see for a bit, but otherwise no.
3: Unless the DM says otherwise, only a dim aura would be there.
4: N/A