PDA

View Full Version : Analysis The Superior Durkon

Chainsaw Hobbit
2014-02-18, 10:15 PM
The current situation with Durkon reminds me of The Superior Spider-Man comic, in a good way.

A villainous character inhabits the body of a heroic character from a long-running series. The heroic character's friends are not aware of this. The villainous character assumes the role of the heroic character, and continues to live his life. The soul of the hero remains inside, possibly guiding the actions of the villain.

I know Vampire Durkon is evil, and has not adopted Durkon's heroic ideology, but he will be working with The Order of the Stick for a while yet. The stories aren't identical, but similar.

I like that.

Ramien
2014-02-18, 11:50 PM
Are we really sure he's going to be working with the Order very long? I'd almost say that once he hits the Dwarven lands, he jumps ship (literally) and starts spreading the Death and Destruction.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2014-02-19, 12:03 AM
Are we really sure he's going to be working with the Order very long? I'd almost say that once he hits the Dwarven lands, he jumps ship (literally) and starts spreading the Death and Destruction.

I'll bet you my firstborn child Durkon's soul does something at the last minute to prevent Vampire Durkon from doing something terrible.

TaiLiu
2014-02-19, 12:25 AM
I'll bet you my firstborn child Durkon's soul does something at the last minute to prevent Vampire Durkon from doing something terrible.
Hm. Well, if you insist... :smalltongue:

Envyus
2014-02-19, 12:52 AM

I will take that bet as who the vampire was has no effect on them.

137beth
2014-02-19, 12:56 AM
Eh, Trigak's been traveling with the OOTS for over 900 strips, and he hasn't really been influenced by them much yet.

(No, I'm not familiar with the reference in the OP:smalltongue:)

Porthos
2014-02-19, 12:57 AM
I will take that bet as who the vampire was has no effect on them.

Aha, but how many vampires are stupid enough to spit in the face of Narrative Fate like Vamped!Durkon just did? :smalltongue:

I mean, really, saying "He is powerless to influence our plans" and "He is of no consequence" in a climatic scene?

Might as well stake yourself at the time and save the universe the bother. :smalltongue:

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 01:29 AM

Dude, likely that vamp durkon will turn on oots first and distract them from xykon (I'm new)

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 01:31 AM
Anyway, what do u guys think hel wants

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-19, 01:32 AM
Anyway, what do u guys think hel wants

She wants to bring the world to ruin and drive Thor to his knees. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html)

Mastikator
2014-02-19, 01:36 AM

I'll take that bet.
It has already been prophesied that Durkon will bring death and destruction to the dwarven lands, it's been obvious since he became a vampire that this is exactly how.

shamgar001
2014-02-19, 01:37 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist had an interesting symbiotic relationship between possessor and owner of a body.* Something in a similar fashion could happen.,

*Greed and Ling Yao, respectively.

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 01:44 AM
She wants to bring the world to ruin and drive Thor to his knees. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0946.html)

That's a friggin cliche dude

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 01:47 AM
I'll take that bet.
It has already been prophesied that Durkon will bring death and destruction to the dwarven lands, it's been obvious since he became a vampire that this is exactly how.

That's outdated we all know that already

oppyu
2014-02-19, 02:11 AM
That's a friggin cliche dude
Cliche, yes, but also word-for-word exactly what Hel said she wanted.

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 03:11 AM
So what is keeping durkon's soul bound again?

hamishspence
2014-02-19, 03:15 AM
The process of being transformed into that kind of an Undead (as per Complete Divine)

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 03:17 AM
And how the hell did hel give him a new being

Happy_Tea
2014-02-19, 03:34 AM
Dude, likely that vamp durkon will turn on oots first and distract them from xykon (I'm new)

I don't think he will, at least not intentionally. Vampire Durkon is aware of what Xykon is, and the threat he poses. He serves Hel, who I would guess is aware of the Snarl and its god killing ways, so she wouldn't be wanting to risk it being released either.

At least in the short term I think Hel worshipping vampiric Durkon is still on board with the Order stopping Xykon.

That just seems to be how things work. We somebody is vampiricised a new entity is formed in the relevant underworld to pop up and take over the vampiric body.

RMS Oceanic
2014-02-19, 03:39 AM

It appears the Northern Pantheon gets dibs on what goes into Dwarven corpses. It's part of their portfolio.

My guess is it's the same spirit that entered the body in 878. Hel either hoped or predicted that Malack's hold would not last long, and once liberated her plans could begin.

That said, I now want a look through hypertime to see an alternate reality where Malack returned to Bleedingham and released Durkon then. That would have been an interesting scene.

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 04:18 AM
No it wouldn't, durkon would have just beaten the crap outta malack

Clertar
2014-02-19, 04:40 AM
Funniest title in these boards ever, I LOLed :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Roland Itiative
2014-02-19, 05:54 AM
I don't think he will, at least not intentionally. Vampire Durkon is aware of what Xykon is, and the threat he poses. He serves Hel, who I would guess is aware of the Snarl and its god killing ways, so she wouldn't be wanting to risk it being released either.

At least in the short term I think Hel worshipping vampiric Durkon is still on board with the Order stopping Xykon.
Is it, really? Xykon himself is quite inconsequential to the gods, it's Redcloak they should worry about. And we know the Dark One has at least a few allies among the other Evil deities. For all we know, Durkula might want to help them. Or worse, substitute Redcloak as the divine caster and use the ritual for far more nefarious goals than goblinoid equality.

It's kind of interesting how at this moment we have both a divine and arcane caster among the "good guys" (who are close to being the "neutral guys" right now, considering the party's composition :smalltongue: ) who are prone to manipulation by evil forces. If the IFCC went back on the "we just made a deal for your soul, not controlling your body" thing, their allotted time with V is enough to complete the arcane half of the ritual, and they have some sort of deal with Hel, we could see the OotS actually being directly responsible for the greatest victory of Evil so far. Lots of "ifs" there, but the thought popped up in my mind regardless.

Forum Explorer
2014-02-19, 06:10 AM
Fullmetal Alchemist had an interesting symbiotic relationship between possessor and owner of a body.* Something in a similar fashion could happen.,

Speaking of FMA I thought the artistic representation looked pretty similar.

Sharp-kun
2014-02-19, 06:43 AM
Where's the fun in that? :xykon:

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 08:19 AM
Speaking of undead, who wants durky to become a huecuva?

As a dwarf, I hope my kinsman, durkon lives again

Greatmoustache
2014-02-19, 11:12 AM
So what is keeping durkon's soul bound again?

umm... the veins in durkula's eyes.

seriously dude, we litteraly can see it in the last 2 panels. try to pay attention. :smalltongue:

Auburn Bright
2014-02-19, 11:33 AM

Ling gave up his body willingly for immortality, and Greed never tried to steal his identity. Durkon died saving a teammate and has to watch helplessly as an undead monster manipulates all his friends. I don't see them working together as well.

That said, it would be really cool if we got to see some direct interaction between Durkon and Durkula. It would make a great source for both character development and conflict.

TrollCapAmerica
2014-02-19, 11:44 AM
A difference between Superior Spiderman and this story is the writer isnt going to go out of his way to make Durkula better than the original and insist thats the way its going to be forever and that your dumb for not loving the idea

Chainsaw Hobbit
2014-02-19, 12:18 PM
A difference between Superior Spiderman and this story is the writer isnt going to go out of his way to make Durkula better than the original and insist thats the way its going to be forever and that your dumb for not loving the idea

I thought the point of The Superior Spider-Man is that it is left ambiguous whether or not Spider-Ock (henceforth referred to as Spock) is actually better.

On one hand, Spock does prevent more crime, fight super-villains more efficiently, invent things that help people, and use his intellect for good. On the other, he has no right to be masquerading as Peter Parker, keeps all of New York under unsettling surveillance, is more brutal than he needs to be, and is still a horribly unpleasant person, despite his new philosophy.

Spock will not remain Spider-Man. Of course he won't. Everything must return to the status quo. That is the way of Marvel Comics. I'm guessing we will get a new Amazing Spider-Man #1 in a couple of years or so.

JT
2014-02-19, 12:34 PM

How did Roy's soul come to be when he was born? Just what is a soul?

Maybe a vampire "soul" or core being is similar.

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 08:10 PM
Any ideas on a strip about durkon breaking free with a mighty "AAARRRGGGHH!!!!. Die ye blood-sucking fiend o' hel! All glory fer thor!" Or roy walking in on durkula?

veti
2014-02-19, 08:29 PM
Any ideas on a strip about durkon breaking free with a mighty "AAARRRGGGHH!!!!. Die ye blood-sucking fiend o' hel! All glory fer thor!" Or roy walking in on durkula?

Given the prophecy referenced in 'On the Origin of PCs' - I think we can be pretty sure that the vampire-Durkon will last at least long enough to make a significant impact on his dwarven homeland.

Zmeoaice
2014-02-19, 09:07 PM
Spock will not remain Spider-Man. Of course he won't. Everything must return to the status quo. That is the way of Marvel Comics. I'm guessing we will get a new Amazing Spider-Man #1 in a couple of years or so.

Years? Try April.

Putting to rest months of speculation, Marvel’s The Amazing Spider-Man will return with a new #1 in April.
On the cover of the newest issue of Marvel Previews (the March-April 2014 issue), it’s teased that Dan Slott and Humberto Ramos will return to the title that they left when it ended, with Slott taking a full-time gig on its replacement title, Superior Spider-Man.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/01/08/amazing-spider-man-to-relaunch/

Death Knight of
2014-02-19, 11:49 PM
Given the prophecy referenced in 'On the Origin of PCs' - I think we can be pretty sure that the vampire-Durkon will last at least long enough to make a significant impact on his dwarven homeland.

Oh, man thay would kill durky