PDA

View Full Version : MERP/Rolemaster homebrew

Rhynn
2014-02-19, 02:25 AM
Original thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330178).

10 years after a 5+ year campaign that, in retrospect, was a mess, but that everyone involved still has fond memories of, I'm considering dusting off my MERP modules and running that 1409- Great Northern War campaign I've wanted to for ever... but first, I need to create a version of Rolemaster that meets my and my players' needs and preferences.

Basically, none of the existing options (MERP, Rolemaster 2nd ed., Rolemaster Standard System, Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplay, Rolemaster Classic, Rolemaster Express, and HARP) are quite right. The priorities are:
1. More playable system. Arms Law is ultimately what killed our game, after a 2-session long fight.
1a. For the combat system, the RMC Arms Companion alternative system is actually looking good for a base - I'll probably make my own tables to condense some of them (and separate axes from swords - wtf), and I'll be dropping the "all armor gives DB" element.
1b. Simpler character creation, probably on the RM2/RMC level. RMFRP/RMSS with over 300 skills is just stupid.
2. Full compatibility with existing ICE MERP modules - I don't want to have to rework NPC/monster stat blocks, etc.
3. Higher fidelity to Middle-earth in various little details. This is mostly cosmetic.

I'm working from the above-mentioned systems/editions and Sampsa Rydman (http://www.lindefirion.net/)'s MERP house rules, cobbling things together into something I and my players like.

So far, I'm on...

CHARACTER LAW

Stats
Usual 10 stats, "full" modifiers (increments of 5). Undediced between two options for creating them:

Option 1: Lower-Powered
Randomly determine 10 pairs of rolls: D100 (ignore results under 20) for temporary score, D100 for potential roll (mark as e.g. 66:90). Assign to stats as desired and determine potential scores from table. Temporary scores assigned to prime requisites are raised to 90 if lower.

Option 2: Higher-Powered & Customizable
Start with 600+10D10 points. Ability scores cost 1:1 up to 90, then 2:1 up to 95 (i.e. total 100 points for a score of 95), then 3:1 up to 100. Prime requisites must be given scores of 90 or higher.

Using RM2/RMC stat potential & gain tables. This results in lower potentials and slower gains than the RMFRP/RMSS version, which is fine by me; RMFRP/RMSS seemed to end up with everyone having 8+ stats at 90+.

Other basic character details...
Resistance Rolls: Added Fear (SD). Not sure if I should add this one to the race table; I could see Elves getting +50, Dwarves +20, Dúnedain +10, or something like that. It'll be used especially for Undead and Demons - basically, most will hit you with a Fear attack at their own level.
Concussion Hits: 10 + Con mod + rank bonus. Rank bonus based on race-based special progression, RMSS style. (Front-weighted Hits, no chance of low rolls screwing you over at low levels, at 30 ranks you'e actually a bit below what your maximum would be in RM2/RMC.)
Power Points: No PPD skill, just level × base PP, based on Realm Stat bonus, rather than the stat itself; so Elves with their big Presence bonuses make awesome Mentalists (I've always found the Open Mentalism lists to be full of excellent "Elf abilities" - Brilliance is particularly fitting for Noldor, etc.).

Races
Pretty much the standard array with some changes:
Common Men, Mixed Men, High Men, Half-Elves, Silvan Elves, Sindar, Noldor, Dwarves, Hobbits, Orcs, Black Orcs, Trolls, Woses.

Woses is the Drûgh; High Men is Dúnedain (including Black Númenoreans); Mixed Men is Tergil, the mixed-blood "lesser Dúnedain" common in Arnor, Gondor, and Umbar; Black Orcs are the "greater Orcs," Black Uruks, whatever you want to call them (rather than the Uruk-hai of the Great Years). "Trolls" is just left vague for now, I could split it up into the 8 or so breeds but what's the pay-off?

I've got Racial Ability tables (Primary and Secondary), Build/Frame and Size tables out of RMC (Woses use Human Build/Frame but Dwarven Size tables; I've got a bunch of modifiers for "sub-races"), and I made new Aging tables.

The RMFRP/RMSS aging system was too much of a hassle, and the RMC system was too simplistic and would result in horrible aging results for longer-lived races like Dwarves. I used the RMC system as a base and tweaked numbers until I got good results.

After you reach the threshold of middle age, you roll on the aging table for each stat for each "interval" you exceed the threshold by. You use the column appropriate for your age category, as determined by your race.

For instance, a dwarf (interval 5 years) would roll on the Middle-Aged column at ages 155, 160, 165, 170, etc.

The age categories aren't as clean as I wanted, but I'm fine with it. Middle-aged and old vary: they're between 10 and 20 intervals, depending on race. Very old and later are each 10 intervals.

The categories were jiggled so that by the end of the Old age category, the average stat loss is around 23 points; that's a decent chance of death from old age (a stat reaching 0), especially for normal people who haven't made a lot of stat gain rolls in their lives. By the end of the venerable category, the average loss is about 60 points, which is a very high chance of death. 10 intervals into the ancient category, average losses are 85-90, which is almost certain death.

Since stat gains at leveling up compensate for old age and push stats closer to the 80-90 range anyway, high-level (important) characters are likely to live longer, which works for me.

Common Men age ranges will be adjusted by lineage: Dunlendings, Easterlings, and Southrons reduce Middle-Age and all ranges by 10 or so.

Orcs and trolls don't get categories, because there's no way to figure out how fast they mature canonically, they're probably immortal, and it doesn't really matter anyway.

AGE CATEGORIES BY RACE
{table=head]
Race |
Maturity |
Middle-Aged |
Old |
Very Old |
Venerable |
Ancient |
Interval (years)
Common Men |
15-18 |
41-55 |
56-70 |
71-80 |
81-90 |
91+ |
Mixed Men |
18-21 |
61-75 |
76-90 |
91-100 |
101-110 |
111+ |
High Men |
21-24 |
71-100 |
101-120 |
121-140 |
141-160 |
161+ |
--Trueblooded |
24-30 |
101-120 |
121-140 |
141-160 |
161-180 |
181+ |
--Line of Elendil |
24-30 |
171-200 |
201-230 |
231-250 |
251-270 |
271+ |
Woses |
12-15 |
26-35 |
36-50 |
51-60 |
61-70 |
71+ |
Elves |
50-100 |
— |
— |
— |
— |
— |

Half-Elves (Mortal) |
50-100 |
101-200 |
201-300 |
301-350 |
351-400 |
401+ |
Hobbits |
30-36 |
71-85 |
86-100 |
101-110 |
111-120 |
121+ |
Dwarves |
40-45 |
151-200 |
201-250 |
251-300 |
301-350 |
351+ |
Orcs & Trolls |
unknown |
— |
— |
— |
— |
— |

[/table]

AGING EFFECTS ON STATS
{table=head]
Roll |
Middle-Aged |
Old |
Very Old |
Venerable |
Ancient
01-15 |
0 |
0 |
0 |
0 |
16-20 |
0 |
0 |
0 |
0 |
21-25 |
0 |
0 |
0 |
-1 |
26-30 |
0 |
0 |
-1 |
-1 |
31-40 |
0 |
-1 |
-1 |
-1 |
41-50 |
0 |
-1 |
-1 |
-2 |
51-55 |
-1 |
-1 |
-2 |
-2 |
56-60 |
-1 |
-1 |
-2 |
-2 |
61-65 |
-1 |
-1 |
-2 |
-3 |
66-70 |
-1 |
-2 |
-2 |
-3 |
71-75 |
-1 |
-2 |
-2 |
-3 |
76-80 |
-1 |
-2 |
-3 |
-3 |
81-85 |
-1 |
-2 |
-3 |
-4 |
86-100 |
-1 |
-2 |
-3 |
-4 |
[/table]

Professions
RM2/RMC professions.

Arms: Fighter/Warrior, Thief/Scout, Rogue, Warrior Monk.
Channeling Casters: Animist, Cleric, Healer. (Also Dwarven Alchemist.)
Essence Casters: Alchemist, Illusionist, Magician/Mage.
Mentalism Casters: Lay Healer, Mentalist, Seer.
Hybrid Casters: Astrologer (E&M), Mystic (C&M), Sorcerer (C&E).
Semi-Casters: Bard (M)*, Monk (E)*, Ranger (C).

* Essence Bards and Mentalism Monks are also options; I'll probably create slightly altered skill development costs for them to keep them in line with others of their Realms.

I'm thinking no strict race limits on Professions, but "soft" limits - for instance, Orc spellcasters of any type are vanishingly rare (except Rangers, maybe), and Trolls other than Fighter and Rogue are almost nonexistent.

Backgrounds
I'm up to this point right now. I'm using the 1-6 Background Options method. Some of it's obvious - RM2/RMC tables for special items and money, etc. - but the Special Abilities are a bit more complicated... I'm trying to work something out from RMSS talents, but I don't want a million specifically-named options for "+X to Y".

Any feedback on anything, but especially feedback and ideas on the Background Options (below), will be appreciated.

STATS
Option: Increase one by 2 or three by 1, both temporary and potential (maximum 102).
Option: Roll a stat gain roll for each stat (re-calculate DP for levels 0 and 1). Not sure about this one, but I figured why not; it won't raise your potentials, but starting out with more DP and higher bonuses can be worth a BGO.
Completely undecided: Special bonuses to stats. +5 for 1 BGO, maybe? Stack them up to +20? This would need careful balancing against skill bonuses, below. NB: Skills will generally average two stat bonuses for the stat bonus, as per RMC.

EXTRA LANGUAGES
Option: 20 ranks in languages based on race.
Option: Speak with specific animals (starting at 5 ranks in Spoken), e.g. thrushes, giant eagles, short-eared owls. These languages cannot otherwise be learned.

HOBBY SKILLS
Option: 2 ranks in one primary skill.
Option: 5 ranks in one secondary skill.

SPECIAL SKILL BONUSES
Completely out to sea on this one. It'd have to be balanced with the stat special bonuses, above. I'm thinking +10 or +15 to a single primary skill, +5 or +10 to a skill "category", +20 or +30 to a single secondary skill? I just have no idea. NB: Skills will generally average two stat bonuses for the stat bonus, as per RMC.

SPECIAL ITEMS & EXTRA MONEY
As per RMC, for now; I might make changes to the Special Items table.

Rhynn
2014-02-19, 11:14 PM
BACKGROUND OPTIONS
Each option costs one pick. Unless otherwise specified, options can be chosen multiple times and stacked.

STATS
Option: Increase one by 2 or three by 1, both temporary and potential (maximum 102).
Option: Roll a stat gain roll for each stat (re-calculate DP for levels 0 and 1).
Option: +5 special bonus to one stat.

EXTRA LANGUAGES
Option: 20 ranks in languages based on race.
Option: Speak with specific animals (starting at 5 ranks in Spoken), e.g. thrushes, giant eagles, short-eared owls.

HOBBY SKILLS
Option: 2 ranks in any one primary skill. (Includes spell lists.)
Option: 5 ranks in any one secondary skill.

SPECIAL BONUSES
Option: +15 special bonus to one primary skill. May not be stacked for one skill.
Option: +25 special bonus to one secondary skill. May not be stacked for one skill.

SPECIAL ITEMS
TBD.

EXTRA MONEY
As RMC/MERP.

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Choose one per pick. Each may only be chosen once.

Accurate: +10 special bonus to all Missile and Thrown Weapon skills.
Ageless: You make aging rolls as if you were one age category younger. (This means you do not start making aging rolls until you reach the Old age category.)
Ambidexterity: You can use either hand equally well, and suffer no penalties (e.g. to OB).
Armor of Heroes: Fate smiles on you. +10 special bonus to DB.
Beast-friend: Choose a type of animal. You gain a +50 special bonus to Animal Handling for that animal type, and a +25 bonus to any maneuvers involving that animal type.
Bold: +20 to moving maneuvers with a difficulty of Sheer Folly or Absurd.
Dead Eye: Reduce Missile Weapon range penalties by 20.
Elf-friend: You know Sindarin at S5/W5, and most Elves recognize you as a friend and ally. (Non-Elves only.)
Eloquent: +15 special bonus to Public-speaking and Seduction.
Fair: +10 to Apperance (max 110), +20 special bonus to Seduction.
Favour of Fortune: Re-roll one roll of any kind once per session, so long as it directly concerns you.
Fell-handed: +10 special bonus to all Melee Weapon skills (One-Handed Concussion & Edged, Polearms, Two-Handed).
Foresighted: Once per day, you may use Intuitions True (from the Seer Base List Future Visions) at your level, without PP cost or casting roll. Once a week, you may use Dream I (from the Seer Base List Future Visions) without PP cost or casting roll.
Furtive: +10 special bonus to Picking Locks, Stalking/Hiding, and Trickery.
Great Arm: Increase Thrown Weapon ranges by 25%.
Hammerhand: Your bare hands strike as a club; +10 to unarmed OB.
Alternative: Increase all your Martial Arts Strikes by one tier: Martial/Strikes I is treated as II, etc. (You never need to develop Strikes IV.) +10 special bonus to Martial Arts Strikes.
Hardy: +20 special bonus to Body Development. Not counted against Max Hits.
Incorruptible: +25 to RRs to resist corruption.
Indomitable: +25 to RRs to resist mind attack spells.
Keen-Eared: +25 to hearing Perception.
Keen-Eyed: +25 to visual Perception.
Keen-Nosed: +25 to scent Perception.
Lion-hearted: You can ignore the first -10 of maneuver penalties from injuries.
Long-strider: Increase Base Movement Rate by 10'.
Night-eyed: You can see 25' perfectly in dim light (torchlight, starlight, moonlight, etc.).
Stern: +10 to any maneuver to command or intimidate others; -10 to any maneuver that involves putting others at ease or being pleasant.
Valiant: +25 special bonus to RRs vs. Fear.
Warrior's Heart: +5 to all OBs, +5 to DB, +10 to initiative.
Warwise: +5 special bonus to all Weapon skills, +10 special bonus to all Maneuver in Armor skills.
Wise: +10 special bonus to all Lores.
Woodcrafty: +15 special bonus to Foraging, Tracking, and Weather-watching.

Rhynn
2014-02-21, 04:50 AM
Going over skills, creating the profession primary skill development costs. Pretty much going off RMC/RMX with some small changes...

Armor Skills are renamed to reflect the changed armor listing (more on that later): Textile (AT 5-8), Light (AT 9-12), Medium (AT 13-16), Heavy (AT 17-20). I might still change up the armor system... either 5 classes (None, Txt, Lt, Med, Hvy) MERP-style, or 10 Armor Types Combat Companion style. The skills will be basically unchanged, but the specific Moving Maneuver penalties will change.

I'm keeping six categories of Weapon Skills, but the actual skills are still up in the air: I might have them by weapon (Broadsword, Longsword, etc.), or I might use weapon classes based on Combat Companion (Bows, Great Blades, Long Blades, Short Blades, etc.).

Riding is a single skill; I don't care enough to have separate skills for riding horses, camels, dragons, etc., and they're not going to crop up in an Arnorian campaign anyway. This is effortless to expand, anyway.

I'm not sure about the Directed Spells skill yet: I'm thinking of using just a single skill (rather than separate DS: Firebolt, DS: Waterbolt, DS: Shockbolt, etc.), because I don't see the point in the "DP tax" that would pretty much just hit Magicians (who get access to the broadest array of Directed Spells).

Keeping the Adrenal Moves for now; keeping the two kinds and four tiers of Martial Arts (unlikely to see much use); no Power Point Development skill; keeping the secondary skills.

I made optional development costs for Mentalism Monks and Essence Bards. It's just a few changes: Mentalism Monks get Warrior Monk armor skills (the only change is that the heaviest armor skill costs 10 rather than 11), Essence Bards use Essence Caster armor skill costs.

Finally, I'm considering usign the revised Ranger development costs from Rolemaster Express Additions #7, because by-the-book rangers suck: they're less useful as casters (Bards have great crowd-control magic and Monks have awesome personal combat boosting magic), their skill costs are too high to make them excel in the skill-monkey role, and they're not much good at fighting.

The revised Ranger gets better weapon skill development costs (replace 3/7 with 3/6, replace one 6 with 3/8), which is perfect: they get relatively cheap development for two weapon categories, or a melee weapon and a bow. The costs for all general skills (except Disarming Traps and Picking Locks) go down. And they get 3/8 instead of 3 for Ambush.

I'm not going to use the RMXA#7 alternative Ranger spell lists, though. They're "support casters," to my mind, with wilderness and support magic. That's fine.

Rhynn
2014-02-22, 04:09 AM
I was going over classes to include... the base Rolemaster 2E/RMC are all in, with optional Essence-based Bards and Mentalism-based Monks. I put in the Venturer from the Combat Companion (I see Middle-earth Elves as being very Mentalism-directed, since the Open Mentalism lists are very much "elf abilities" to me), and was going over the Champion...

That made me think of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330902), and the deity-based lists seemed like a perfect fit: I can make a list of Valar and associate a spell list to each of them.

And here it is!

Manwë Súlimo: Wind Law (Magician Base)
Ulmo: Water Law (Magician Base)
Aulë: Earth Law (Magician Base)
Oromë (Araw): Nature's Way (Ranger Base)
Námo (Mandos): True Perception (Seer Base)
Irmo (Lórien): Mind Visions (Seer Base)
Tulkas Astaldo: Body Reins (Monk Base)
Varda Elentári (Elbereth): Starlights (Astrologer Base)
Yavanna: Plant Mastery (Animist Base)
Nienna: Herb Mastery (Animist Base)
Estë: Spirit Mastery (Closed Essence)
Vairë: Controlling Songs (Bard Base)
Vána: Nature's Protection (Animist Base)
Nessa: Path Mastery (Ranger Base)
Melkor (Morgoth): Dark Channels (Evil Cleric Base)

Each Champion selects a Vala they have an affinity for, and get an extra Base List, which is treated in all ways as a Channeling Paladin Base List.