PDA

View Full Version : PF: Increasing the DC of creating Magic Items

Dimcair
2014-02-19, 05:40 AM
Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.

Source: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation

What items are possible to create taking the +5 DC for not meeting a requirement?

Alent
2014-02-19, 06:23 AM
What items are possible to create taking the +5 DC for not meeting a requirement?

Is this an "optimal choices" question?

Because there are some really fun constructs that you can just... craft. Even more if your DM lets you do 3pp stuff.

If it's more a basic rules of play question, it's hard to list everything that you can make this way. It's easier to list the types things you can't make this way, which is what the rules did:

In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.

Potions are self explanatory, but Spell-trigger and Spell-completion items are things like potions and scrolls. (See the examples on the table "Estimating magic item gold piece values" in the magic items page.)

Dimcair
2014-02-19, 06:52 AM
Is this an "optimal choices" question?

[...]

Potions are self explanatory, but Spell-trigger and Spell-completion items are things like potions and scrolls. (See the examples on the table "Estimating magic item gold piece values" in the magic items page.)

More a general rules question. I am not clear what Spell-triggered/-completion items are.

I assume wands are spell-triggered aswell. Besides constructs (Which I dont think is possible since you need craft wonderous item to create constructs) what else is there? In terms of useful/magical? I dont see any items under magic-item-creation that do not fall under said limitations.

Drachasor
2014-02-19, 06:57 AM
You can make anything except potions, staves, wands, and scrolls.

Personally, I think they should have let you make potions, staves, wands, and some sort of single-use item like scrolls.* But whatevs.

Wondrous Items, Constructs, Weapons, Armor, Rods, and Rings are all fair game. As is anything else save what I said you couldn't do. So yeah, the vast majority of stuff.

*Which I suppose a DM might allow via Craft Wondrous.

Dimcair
2014-02-19, 07:24 AM
You can make anything except potions, staves, wands, and scrolls.

Wondrous Items, Constructs, Weapons, Armor, Rods, and Rings are all fair game. As is anything else save what I said you couldn't do. So yeah, the vast majority of stuff.

Basically there is no need to take craft wonderous item then? Are you sure? Isn't that just... wrong? It does not count under spell-completion? (excuse my english)

Say a ring of invisibility? Isn't that a trigger aswell? Or a ring of protection? Shouldnt that be a spell-completion item?

Really confused here, maybe I dont get what Spell-trigger/Completion actually means....

Drachasor
2014-02-19, 07:30 AM
Basically there is no need to take craft wonderous item then? Are you sure? Isn't that just... wrong? It does not count under spell-completion? (excuse my english)

Say a ring of invisibility? Isn't that a trigger aswell? Or a ring of protection? Shouldnt that be a spell-completion item?

Really confused here, maybe I dont get what Spell-trigger/Completion actually means....

Maybe you need to read the section on magical items again. It does explain what those terms mean.

Rings are not spell-completion or spell-trigger items. The only spell-trigger items are Wands and Staves. The only Spell Completion Items are scrolls. Well, anything that explicitly says is such an item or acts like one of those items (but that's hardly anything).

Kind of curious what you thought Spell Completion and Spell Trigger items were.

Why do you say there's no need to take Craft Wondrous Item? You still need the actual feat to make a particular item. The requirement for the feat cannot be waived.

Dimcair
2014-02-19, 07:38 AM
Rings are not spell-completion or spell-trigger items. The only spell-trigger items are Wands and Staves. The only Spell Completion Items are scrolls.

Why do you say there's no need to take Craft Wondrous Item? You still need the actual feat to make a particular item. The requirement for the feat cannot be waived.

Of course you do. I posted it myself as a quote at the top (Brainlag on my side -.-).

I think I am getting there. Example: A ring of invisibility.

Needed is the Forge Ring feat.
Not needed is knowing the spell "invisibility"

Just weird that I can't create a wand of invisibility after that logic... How is that different except that a ring is for personal use only....

Firest Kathon
2014-02-19, 07:40 AM
A spell completion item just "describes" the magic. It requires you to be able to cast this spell, meeting the usual prerequisites such as attribute and caster level. You also need to perform the verbal and somatic components of the spell. Scrolls use the spell completion activation method.

A spell-trigger item contains a completed spell, but you only need to have the spell on the spell list(s) of you class(es). Also, no components are needed. Staves and Wands use the spell-trigger activation method.

Other activation methods include use-activated, command word, or just permanently active. There is a full description available here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Using-Items).

To create a magic item, you must have the appropriate item creation feat ("Craft ...").
To create a staff or wand, you must know the spell(s) and have them available to cast.
Any other prerequisites, including spells for use-activated, command word, or always active items, are optional, incurring a +5 to the DC if you do not fulfill them.

Edit: Fixed typo

Drachasor
2014-02-19, 07:41 AM
Of course you do. I posted it myself as a quote at the top (Brainlag on my side -.-).

I think I am getting there. Example: A ring of invisibility.

Needed is the Forge Ring feat.
Not needed is knowing the spell "invisibility"

Just weird that I can't create a wand of invisibility after that logic... How is that different except that a ring is for personal use only....

A Wand is a Spell-Trigger item and the PF rules don't let you ignore the spell requirement when making Spell-Trigger items. Such items require some knowledge of the spell to use (or UMD) so the spell needs to be on your class list. A Ring of Invisibility is something anyone can use.

Alent
2014-02-19, 07:42 AM

Craft Wand, Craft Scroll, and Brew Potion work on different logic- they're consumable.

Dimcair
2014-02-19, 08:15 AM
Alright, thanks everybody =).

Last (unrelated) question:

Besides Accelerating the crafting process, do you have any tipps on how to craft items when you are lacking downtime?

Cheers

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-19, 11:36 AM
Alright, thanks everybody =).

Last (unrelated) question:

Besides Accelerating the crafting process, do you have any tipps on how to craft items when you are lacking downtime?

Cheers

Well there is this tidbit

If the caster is out adventuring, he can devote 4 hours each day to item creation, although he nets only 2 hours' worth of work. This time is not spent in one continuous period, but rather during lunch, morning preparation, and during watches at night. So in four days of adventuring you can manage one day of crafting.

Psyren
2014-02-19, 11:41 AM
Ooh, neat find. I didn't know you could craft while adventuring like that (without specifically blocking off time to do so.)

stack
2014-02-19, 11:59 AM
It's nice during a kingmaker type campaign, when you are wandering the wild for days at a time. Crafting has to get done!