PDA

View Full Version : Movies So have you watched the Guardians of the Galaxy trailer?

Hopeless
2014-02-19, 05:56 AM
Was wondering if anyone has seen this yet will try and post a link later unless someone does so in the meantime...

But what are your thoughts?

Not a direct link to the trailer but well worth checking out! (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=27981405#post27981405)

PhallicWarrior
2014-02-19, 08:42 AM
I'm reserving judgement. I don't know who edits MCU trailers, but the jokes and good scenes almost always land with a thud in trailers when they sizzle a bit more in the movie itself. I know who Chris Pratt is, but I've never actually seen him in anything; people who watch Parks & Rec. probably have more expectations from him here than I do. He just quipped a few times and didn't really accomplish anything. The REST of the Guardians, on the other hand...

Oh boy. Groot strikes me as the same kind of Vin Diesel role the Iron Giant was; they'll reveal almost none of his dialogue because he has very few lines to begin with, but the ones he gets are pure gold. Zoe Saldana as Gamora is going to have to work if she wants to be something other than Black Widow, but green this time. We don't see much of Rocket Raccoon other than him riding Groot into battle like the hobbits and ents in LotR, so I'm sold on him already. And Batista was one of my favorite wrestlers ever, so just seeing him come back to smash dudes is fine by me.

Reverent-One
2014-02-19, 09:01 AM
I liked it, and this is the movie I'm most looking forward to in the near future. That said, am I the only one who thinks Christ Pratt seems to be playing Chris Pratt (IN SPACE!) rather than Starlord?

pita
2014-02-19, 09:53 AM
I never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy, the only stuff I know is what's in the trailer, but it looks awesome. I'll see it when it comes out, and judgement will be reserved for then.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-19, 10:25 AM
Ooga chaka, ooga ooga ooga chaka!

:smallbiggrin:

No, really. That was just brilliant.

Also, I'm not sure why, but "What a bunch of a-holes." struck juuuuuust the right note with me.

As a whole, loved the tone that it's showcasing. This is gonna be a really different, offbeat, weird movie, and they're glorying in it.

jidasfire
2014-02-19, 12:08 PM
I don't know. I want to like this movie. I have a great love for the Guardians. That said, the trailer seemed like a bunch of wacky slapstick to me. Now, obviously you can't take a movie where two of the heroes are a raccoon and a tree 100% seriously, but at the same time, it doesn't seem like anything is being treated with even the tiniest sense of gravitas. When the heroes don't take themselves seriously, and the world itself doesn't take them seriously to even a tiny degree, how are we supposed to? Pointing out that Star-Lord and Guardians of the Galaxy sound dumb just sounds like they're embarrassed of the source material, which is not a good sign.

I don't know. Maybe it's just how the trailer is played, and maybe I'm wrong. I would certainly like to be. Still, from this trailer at least, I am worried.

endoperez
2014-02-19, 12:54 PM
I have no idea what Guardians is about, but the trailer seemed promising.

Joran
2014-02-19, 01:27 PM

Same here, can someone give a high-level view of exactly who the Guardians of the Galaxy are and how they fit into the greater Marvel universe?

Reverent-One
2014-02-19, 02:06 PM
Same here, can someone give a high-level view of exactly who the Guardians of the Galaxy are and how they fit into the greater Marvel universe?

They are a group of various highly skilled/talented individuals that circumstances brought together that deal with high level cosmic threats. I can't say how they're explaining how the team met up within the MCU, but the proto-form of the modern team in the comics did start as a bunch of prisoners being drafted into a "Dirty Dozen" style military squad (and sent on a probable suicide mission). After that conflict ended, several of them (along with others met along the way) stuck together and formed the official GoTG to actively go after threats before they get to galaxy spanning levels. In this case though, they seem to know each other prior to be thrown in jail.

You could describe them as a independent special ops team focused on nothing really more specific than "making the galaxy safe". Like most super-teams, they're a very eccentric bunch, with conflicting personalities and generally a lot of snark going around.

TheThan
2014-02-19, 02:24 PM
My initial thoughts when i heard they were doing a guardians movie was "Who the frell are these guys?" then I looked them up. wasn't totally impressed. (granted, reading about a comic book is not the same thing as reading that comic book.)

However, this film looks pretty good actually, I'm not exactly holding my breath in anticipation of it. But it does at least look like a decent movie.

Also those space-cops look a lot like Nova Corps. which is awesome.

Reverent-One
2014-02-19, 02:27 PM
My initial thoughts when i heard they were doing a guardians movie was "Who the frell are these guys?" then I looked them up. wasn't totally impressed. (granted, reading about a comic book is not the same thing as reading that comic book.)

This is true. The run of cosmic marvel comics these guys come from is top-notch.

Also those space-cops look a lot like Nova Corps. which is awesome.

They explicitly are the Nova Corps. Which for those who are not aware, are pretty much Marvel's version of the Green Latern Corps (sans energy rings).

Fjolnir
2014-02-19, 02:34 PM
the trailer seems to strike the right notes of seriousness and comedy that a movie that reads like the start of a very strange joke should. There is NO way to strip all the comedy out of a premise like this, though I am scared Dave Bautista as Drax might somehow manage it.

Dienekes
2014-02-19, 02:40 PM
It was written and directed by James Gunn, who was told, apparently, to just go crazy and have fun. I expect I will be entertained. Actually, more than that, I've been looking forward to this movie for awhile. It looks like it's going to have the strangeness and sense of humor that I want, and hopefully, they'll be able to pull out some decent emotional beats as well.

Also to the guy saying they won't release Vin Diesel's lines. They apparently already have.
I am Groot.

TheThan
2014-02-19, 02:48 PM
This is true. The run of cosmic marvel comics these guys come from is top-notch.

They explicitly are the Nova Corps. Which for those who are not aware, are pretty much Marvel's version of the Green Latern Corps (sans energy rings).

Nice. I can totally get behind this now.

Oooh, I want a starjammers movie as well.

Giggling Ghast
2014-02-19, 03:33 PM
My only experience with the Guardians of the Galaxy was when they appeared in an episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I know about Nebula from when she briefly antagonized the Avengers.

The trailer looks pretty fun. This might be decent.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-19, 03:34 PM
Also to the guy saying they won't release Vin Diesel's lines. They apparently already have.
I am Groot.
You forgot
I am Groot.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-19, 03:44 PM
I really don't like Zoe Saldana as Gamora. I don't like how her cheekbones or her jaw look with that make up and she definitely does not look as Amazonian as Gamora is supposed to be. She looks really gaunt and almost insectoid.

Otherwise, really stoked for this movie.

Metahuman1
2014-02-19, 04:11 PM
This movie is either gonna be amazingly good, or utterly awful.

hamlet
2014-02-19, 04:14 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Now I'm half motivated to hunt down old copies of Guardians of the Galaxy if I can find them.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-19, 04:17 PM
I'm looking forward to it. Now I'm half motivated to hunt down old copies of Guardians of the Galaxy if I can find them.

What do you mean by "old"?

Because, while Vance Astro is on both teams at one point (as was Starhawk), one team has absolutely nothing to do with the other really.

BWR
2014-02-19, 04:20 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic. The MCU has been mediocre to pretty damn good so far, so I'm definitely willing to give it a try. I know bugger all about the source material so I won't have any preconceptions or real expectations.
Based on the MCU so far I doubt it will be terrible, but it remains to be seen if it will be good or meh.

Killer Angel
2014-02-19, 04:35 PM

I'm in the same boat. But yeah, it seems sufficiently fun and enjoyable, so I'll give it a chance. :smallsmile:

JoshL
2014-02-19, 04:39 PM
I'm a fan of James Gunn...I love his dry sense of humor, and this trailer is chock full of it. As someone who has never read Guardians of the Galaxy, I found the "I am Star-Lord!", "...who?" exchange to be very funny. Less so if you are a big fan, but given that most people who have only a passing knowledge of the Marvel Universe, but know who, say, Iron Man is, I think there's a level of self-awareness going on there.

Also, Lee Pace is in it! And Karen Gillan! Glenn Close! What's not to love? And to prepare for the film, James Gunn got to meet a very proper and professional raccoon:
https://static.squarespace.com/static/51b3dc8ee4b051b96ceb10de/51ce6099e4b0d911b4489b79/51ce619ee4b0d911b449a723/1370765787039/1000w/rr_02485y2353944_la.jpg
So, yeah, I'm stoked. My girlfriend thought it looked fun, but wasn't as overly enthusiastic about it. But she hasn't watched Slither...yet...

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-19, 05:10 PM
I'm in the same boat. But yeah, it seems sufficiently fun and enjoyable, so I'll give it a chance. :smallsmile:

Like Rev said, it's basically "Dirty Dozen" in space and they fight cosmic horrors.

They took on Marvel's version of Viral Borg lead by Ultron, then the Evil Space Church, then they got into the middle of a three-way war between the Shi'ar, the Kree and the Inhumans, then they fought Thanos, then they teamed up with Thanos to fight an invading universe where the Great Old Ones/Outer Gods got rid of Death (during which Star Lord died...but showed up again with no explanation later), and then they go to Earth to fight Thanos and then Iron Man joins them in space, then they helped Earth fight Imperial Space Lizards, then Angela from Spawn joined the team and now they're trying to save Jean Grey (from the past) from a rogue faction of Shi'ar.

I think that's their history in a nutshell, right?

pita
2014-02-19, 06:51 PM
This is directed by the same guy who made Super?
I have no idea if my estimation for the movie went up or down, but something definitely happened there.

Raimun
2014-02-19, 07:05 PM
Still not excited.

And I'm usually at least a bit excited whenever they make new Marvel movies.

One reason might be that I still don't know who these characters are. Before they announced the movie I had not even heard of the team. Truth be told, I've never even been keen on "Marvel IN SPACE"-stories to begin with. Everyone knows that superheroics have to happen in New York. That's just common sense. :smalltongue:

... And they're not making a Ms.Marvel movie.

Then again, since my expectations are low, this might surprise me positively when I actually watch this. And I know I will.

Edit: Then again... "Hugazaga, huga, huga, hugazaga!"

Mutant Sheep
2014-02-19, 07:31 PM
The beginning of it, seemed pretty meh. Once he went comedy, I knew it would be a fun trailer.:smallamused: (If nothing else, this cant be worse than Green Lantern. Chances are, it'll be amazing for those who know half the references.)

Due to playing Marvel v Capcom, I know Rocket and his general group, so I was aware of who these guys are. No idea what a Starlord is though.:smallbiggrin: (Also, played Lego Marvel Heroes, and the Guardians cameo'd in there too. So i even knew Groot!:smalltongue:)

I laughed at most of it, but the moment he was punched by headPhones-Stealer, I was laughing my ass off in disbelief. I wasn't sure if my ears were deceiving me before then, but oh god once that cry was heard I was pledging to myself to give these fine human beings my money. Because Hooked On a Feeling is Amazing.
(For any other fans of the song, here's the Literal Version (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdT-MWjyFk) of which I have loved for years. Enjoy.:smallwink:)

Edit: SHAME RAIMAN. IT IS HUGACHAKA. ... I think. :smallconfused::smallbiggrin: Nah, it's Hooga/ooga Chakka.)

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-19, 07:31 PM
The best stories, from both DC and Marvel, are their cosmic, interstellar narratives.

Fjolnir
2014-02-19, 07:32 PM
This movie is either gonna be amazingly good, or AND utterly awful.

fixed for you, the people who like this movie are going to LOVE it, those that don't will likely hate it with the passion reserved for the things they hate...

Admiral Squish
2014-02-19, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I certainly suspect it will be a highly entertaining film to watch. It's going to be either great/hilarious, or meh with a couple of really funny moments here and there.

Hawriel
2014-02-20, 01:23 AM
Ooga chaka, ooga ooga ooga chaka!

:smallbiggrin:

No, really. That was just brilliant.

Also, I'm not sure why, but "What a bunch of a-holes." struck juuuuuust the right note with me.

As a whole, loved the tone that it's showcasing. This is gonna be a really different, offbeat, weird movie, and they're glorying in it.

This is what I got from the trailer too. Self aware goofy action in space movie. I really did not have interest in seeing this movie. But now I think I want to see it.

Dont really know much about the comic book guardians myself. However If I like the movie maybe I'll check out the comic.

Joran
2014-02-20, 02:11 AM
Anyone else have "Hooked on a Feeling" stuck in their head?

Moak
2014-02-20, 04:37 AM
This aren't the Guardian that I know... expecially because I now found out that the Infinity Watch and the Guardian aren't the same thing. Seeing how Warlock,Moondragon,Gamora and Draxx fought in both team in different time...

well, the trailer sold me. I want to see it. Seems awfully comic and good.

A superhero film not gritty and dark? Do want.

Devonix
2014-02-20, 08:49 AM
Realizes that there already was a Guardians thread :( This is what I get for posting half asleep.

And yes This looks epic.

TheOldCrow
2014-02-20, 09:45 AM
I was indifferent until I saw the trailer, and yeah, Hooked on a Feeling is now stuck in my head. Now I do want to see it. That it is willing to poke fun at itself is what sold me.

Dienekes
2014-02-20, 09:53 AM
This aren't the Guardian that I know... expecially because I now found out that the Infinity Watch and the Guardian aren't the same thing. Seeing how Warlock,Moondragon,Gamora and Draxx fought in both team in different time...

well, the trailer sold me. I want to see it. Seems awfully comic and good.

A superhero film not gritty and dark? Do want.

Have you been watching the recent Marvel movies? There quality varies, but I wouldn't call any of them gritty or dark.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-20, 10:22 AM
Anyone else have "Hooked on a Feeling" stuck in their head?
Yep. Probably 75% of Marvel fans still have it stuck in their head.

ooga chaka ooga ooga ooga chaka

Fjolnir
2014-02-20, 12:01 PM
it is a VERY earwormy song and the fact that they managed to connect it to a racoon, a sentient tree, a green woman, kratos, and a wisecracking a-hole is nothing short of amazing...

DigoDragon
2014-02-20, 12:58 PM
I've never heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy, but the trailer was fun to watch (a raccoon weilding a machine gun from a sentient tree is a pretty amusing sight to me). I guess I keep an ear out for this and hope it turns out as good as the trailer advertises.

Gamerlord
2014-02-20, 03:10 PM
I'm not familiar enough with the Marvel Comics to know much about the Guardians of The Galaxy, but any movie with the kind of insanity seen in this trailer deserves at least some attention. Certainly different from the usual fare. :smalltongue:

TheThan
2014-02-20, 03:58 PM
Drax- wanted for rampaging across the galaxy on a search for vengeance
Gamora- wanted on over a dozen counts of murder
Rocket- wanted on over 50 charged of vehicular theft and escape from lockup
Groot- rocket’s personal plant/muscle (don't know what he's wanted for)
Peter Jason Quill/starlord- wanted on charges of minor assault, public intoxication and fraud

What could possibly go wrong with this team?

we've got everything, a rampaging vengeance driven Juggernaut, a professional solider/assassin, a carjacking shipjacking raccoon with a pet tree, and a drunk A-hole. Surely this team will go down in history as the greatest team of superheroes ever. You could say they are destined to become The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Gamerlord
2014-02-20, 04:01 PM
Groot- rocket’s personal plant/muscle (don't know what he's wanted for)
If the screen that popped up during the whole team introduction thing was any indication, he has a record for three counts of Grievous Bodily Harm. Wouldn't surprise me if being with Rocket leads to that sort of thing.

Killer Angel
2014-02-20, 04:07 PM
Surely this team will go down in history as the greatest team of superheroes ever.

I wonder if Riddick could qualify for it... :smalltongue:

TheThan
2014-02-20, 04:31 PM
If the screen that popped up during the whole team introduction thing was any indication, he has a record for three counts of Grievous Bodily Harm. Wouldn't surprise me if being with Rocket leads to that sort of thing.

I dunno, only three counts seems pretty weak. But then again, Grievous Bodily Harm, is an awesome way of getting locked up.

Think about it:
prisoner: what you in for?
Groot: grievous bodily harm
prisoner: OOOOK *walks off*

Actually this whole trailer makes me wonder if it’s going to be a space prison break movie.

Raimun
2014-02-20, 04:35 PM
I made the effort to read their criminal records. It's the small text on the left side of the screen.

Drax - 22 counts of murder, 5 counts of GBH
Gamora - 12 counts of murder
Rocket - 13 counts of theft, 14 counts of escape from incarceration, 7 counts of mercenary activity, 15 counts of arson
Groot - 3 counts of GBH
Starlord - 1 count of fraud, 2 counts of assault/drunkeness, 1 count sex crime: "illegal manipulation of gramosian duchess"

... What the hell?

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-20, 04:58 PM
It's probably a legalese way of saying he seduced her for something.

JoshL
2014-02-20, 05:15 PM
by the by, if you want to hear Rocket speak... http://io9.com/rocket-raccoon-speaks-in-the-new-guardians-of-the-galax-1527095662

Giggling Ghast
2014-02-21, 11:55 AM
Well, I can't speak to the potential success of Guardians of the Galaxy, but the trailer has already done wonders for the sales of Hooked on a Feeling (http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/5915509/guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-sends-hooked-on-a-feeling-sales-through).

FallenGeek
2014-02-21, 12:30 PM
With the energy of the trailer and the superhero zeitgeist, I think that Guardians of the Galaxy is in a better position than Iron Man when it came out. It has the same light-hearted fare that is a good return to form of the superhero genre that has been absent from the last few films - since Avengers actually.

TheThan
2014-02-21, 03:33 PM
Oh I agree.
I personally don’t care for the “darker, grittier” Nolanverse. Not that those movies were bad, but I like these super hero movies to be a bit more light-hearted and fun. We don’t have to go straight action/comedy but still, I want a movie that’s enjoyable and fun to watch, not dark and uncomfortable.

GloatingSwine
2014-02-21, 04:00 PM
Dark and uncomfortable is appropriate for Batman, but not for most other heroes (and certainly not for Superman, who is defined by his idealism and having the power and will to stand up for his ideals).

Dienekes
2014-02-21, 04:56 PM
Oh I agree.
I personally don’t care for the “darker, grittier” Nolanverse. Not that those movies were bad, but I like these super hero movies to be a bit more light-hearted and fun. We don’t have to go straight action/comedy but still, I want a movie that’s enjoyable and fun to watch, not dark and uncomfortable.

While The Dark Knight is my personal favorite super hero movie it really depends. You shouldn't have every super movie be gritty and serious nor all bright and silly. You need a healthy mix. Though I will admit a preference for taking a fun super and putting them in a dark situation to pull it off it has to be done the right way that stays true to the hero in question. Otherwise you get Superman trying to be Batman and that's just disappointing.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-21, 06:02 PM
Dark and uncomfortable is appropriate for Batman, but not for most other heroes (and certainly not for Superman, who is defined by his idealism and having the power and will to stand up for his ideals).
It seems apropos to link Untitled Self-Portrait (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ded5xU2y-UU) now. :smallbiggrin:

Will Arnett is my new definitive Batman. But this is a tangent.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-22, 11:11 AM
I've never heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy, but the trailer was fun to watch (a raccoon weilding a machine gun from a sentient tree is a pretty amusing sight to me). I guess I keep an ear out for this and hope it turns out as good as the trailer advertises.

I know quite a few people who didn't want to do anything with GotG until they saw that.

Dragonwriter713
2014-02-22, 05:35 PM
I think it is going to be a fun humorous movie to watch and is on my must see list this year along with Cap 2 and the last Hobbit movie. Really liked the exchange between the alien and star-lord and when the guy started messing with the walkman.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-22, 05:42 PM
So I've more/less sworn of movies due to soaring costs and some general malaise... but screw it that trailer has sold me.

3SecondCultist
2014-02-23, 08:49 AM
Yeah, that trailer was brilliant. The fourteen year old in me enjoyed the bit with Starlord and the obscenity sensor. And yes, the bit with Rocket Racoon and Groot was ten kinds of awesome.

For those who think that this movie is going to be too slapstick: I invite you to watch the second half of the trailer again. And then one more time. Because there is just so much badassery there, despite the soundtrack dissonance.

Ooga chaka ooga ooga ooga chaka!

Aotrs Commander
2014-02-23, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not feeling this one.

Let's be brutally honest... It's largely because of Rocket.

He is the only character I'm familiar with, and that from when they ran the first mini-series as the most awful back-up strip in the Marvel UK Transformers. When I re-read my comics a year or two ago, time had not improved it, it was still as pants-on-head ridiculous (and not in a good way) and it really did NOT sell me on the character.

You might argue that I'm still holding a grudge for him wasting pages in my comics that could have been used form more Transformers (or, really, anything else) and you're probably right.

My opinion still stands, though.

(Also, what little I've seen of Marvel's (mainstream) space-stories thus far has been unilaterally pretty awful, though granted that's largely been constrained the universally risable Shi'Ar, with a little bit of Skrulls, so their track record is not promising in my opinion.)

At this point, either MAJOR tie-ins to the Marvel cinematic U or some exceptionally good (and big) starship combat is going to have to be present to change my mind.

(Notably, though, there is still a possibility, unlike with DC's recent stuff, the only one of which I wanted (and did) see was Green Lanturn.))

Reverent-One
2014-02-23, 10:53 AM
(Also, what little I've seen of Marvel's (mainstream) space-stories thus far has been unilaterally pretty awful, though granted that's largely been constrained the universally risable Shi'Ar, with a little bit of Skrulls, so their track record is not promising in my opinion.)

This plus only knowing Rocket Raccon from back in the day mean you haven't read some of the recent Marvel Cosmic stuff, Annihilation, Annhilation: Conquest, The War of Kings, and the related ongoing comics that take place during, between, and after these events. These are some great ones, and is where they're jumping off from for this movie.

Pendragonx
2014-02-23, 11:58 AM
I read somewhere that this movie will be based on the 'Ultimates' version of The Guardians of The Galaxy ...same way as Nick Fury is the 'Ultimates' version of his character... anyone know the difference?

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-23, 12:21 PM
There isn't one exactly.

The movie is based on these guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_%282008_team%29) who are based in 616 and are essentially unrelated to the originals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_%281969_team%29) who are from the future/AU and kinda Marvel's own Legion equivalent. Unless they retconned up more of a connection then a guest appearance later on, I stopped reading a long while ago.

Its maybe kinda sorta an ultimate version in concept but with the caveat its really not even sharing as much as the Ultimate line when starting.

GloatingSwine
2014-02-23, 12:35 PM
I read somewhere that this movie will be based on the 'Ultimates' version of The Guardians of The Galaxy ...same way as Nick Fury is the 'Ultimates' version of his character... anyone know the difference?

The difference is that there isn't an Ultimate universe Guardians of the Galaxy.

The closest thing is that they appeared in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

And this team isn't that team.

From what I can tell, it's the modern team but using some elements of the original team's origin (the original team was sort of Dirty Dozen in space), hence the start off in prison.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-23, 12:48 PM

There is no "Ultimates" version. A version popped up in the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon, but they're identical to the 616 ones.

Edit: Dang, ninjaed. That's what I get for not hitting submit before leaving the room. :smalltongue:

SeeDarkly_X
2014-02-24, 11:37 PM
There is no "Ultimates" version. A version popped up in the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon, but they're identical to the 616 ones.

Edit: Dang, ninjaed. That's what I get for not hitting submit before leaving the room. :smalltongue:

Have not been following the USM toon, but before cancellation, the GoTG were also shown in the Avengers EMH toon.

The movie is based on these guys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_%282008_team%29) who are based in 616 and are essentially unrelated to the originals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_%281969_team%29) who are from the future/AU and kinda Marvel's own Legion equivalent. Unless they retconned up more of a connection then a guest appearance later on, I stopped reading a long while ago.

Of note here: there was a moment when it was established in the comics that the 31st century GotG (featuring a member from several planets in our solar system) were part of an long term organized cabal that started with the modern time GotG (featuring those members cast in the movie.) The details of that are just vague enough that multiple parallel timelines could be in play, with one conceivably leading to the previously known incarnation that first appeared in the late 60's and had its own title in the mid 90's.

Also of note: Yondu is in this movie, played by Michael Rooker, though Yondu is a character from the 31st century team, not the current one. It is also possible he won't have his bow, judging from production stills where he's been seen wield some form of rifle.
Suffice to say, the MCU will be meshing a lot of interesting elements together for this film.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-24, 11:43 PM
Also of note: Yondu is in this movie, played by Michael Rooker, though Yondu is a character from the 31st century team, not the current one. It is also possible he won't have his bow, judging from production stills where he's been seen wield some form of rifle.
Suffice to say, the MCU will be meshing a lot of interesting elements together for this film.

Yondu is also one of the villains in this movie.

Reverent-One
2014-02-25, 09:15 PM
Yondu is also one of the villains in this movie.

He's a villain? Huh, I knew he was in it (and played by Rooker), but hadn't heard anything of his role. Hmm, wonder how that will play out, with Yondu being listed as a known associate of Starlord when you see his mugshot in the trailer.

TheThan
2014-02-25, 10:37 PM
I just showed the trailer to my brother. His response was something like “The world’s not ready for a Wonder Woman movie, but it’s ready for a talking raccoon in space.”

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-26, 12:29 AM
I just showed the trailer to my brother. His response was something like “The world’s not ready for a Wonder Woman movie, but it’s ready for a talking raccoon in space.”

I'm pretty sure I've seen a tweet or something like that before....

SeeDarkly_X
2014-02-26, 01:13 AM

I'm pretty sure I've seen a tweet or something like that before....

It's in a meme (http://cheezburger.com/8079684096) that has been circulating...

Phobia
2014-02-26, 01:35 AM
Yeah, the talking raccoon gets a movie before a stand alone female super heroine. Any stand alone female superhero. At all. XD

Xondoure
2014-02-26, 01:51 AM
Yeah the MCU doesn't really get points for gender ratios. The only reason the lack of a WW film gets more press is that WW is actually recognizeable to the general public whereas Marvel doesn't have an equivalent female superhero that is that iconic.

That said, GotG looks awesome as all get out and I'll be waiting with bated breath for its release.

SeeDarkly_X
2014-02-26, 02:23 AM
Yeah, the talking raccoon gets a movie before a stand alone female super heroine. Any stand alone female superhero. At all. XD

The talking raccoon is "cast" WITH a prominent female character on the team. The dynamic is not unlike X-men... It's not "the raccoon's movie" (Though if they screw that up it would be as bad as if they screwed up Wolverin... oh... yeah I guess it IS the Raccoon's movie :smallwink: )

And never forget, DC had WHEDON to write/direct Wonder Woman... and they let him go.
Ooooops....

Avilan the Grey
2014-02-26, 05:15 AM
The talking raccoon is "cast" WITH a prominent female character on the team. The dynamic is not unlike X-men... It's not "the raccoon's movie" (Though if they screw that up it would be as bad as if they screwed up Wolverin... oh... yeah I guess it IS the Raccoon's movie :smallwink: )

And never forget, DC had WHEDON to write/direct Wonder Woman... and they let him go.
Ooooops....

Indeed. Yes, gender ratio might be a problem, but not the women themselves. Black Widow kicks but. TONS of butt, in Avengers. Gamora (?) seems to be of the same cloth, but immensly more powerful.

Reverent-One
2014-02-26, 10:36 AM

Electra? Catwoman?

Ravian
2014-02-26, 10:37 AM
Electra? Catwoman?

More specifically any good stand-alone female superhero movies.

Reverent-One
2014-02-26, 10:41 AM
More specifically any good stand-alone female superhero movies.

Oh sure, if you're going to be that picky about it. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-26, 10:51 AM
I think a Ms. Marvel movie would be awesome.

BRC
2014-02-26, 10:51 AM

It's as much Gamora's movie as it is Rocket's from what we've seen. But still, it's a predominantly male (Plus whatever Groot is), with one Hot Action Chick team. Meanwhile Tony Stark has three movies while Thor and Captain America have two.

There's been talk of "development" done on a Black Widow movie, but that means basically nothing. They could just be workshopping titles. Still, Black Widow is a proven character that will bring in audiences, especially since it sounds like The Winter Soldier may be as much her movie as Cap's.

Captain Marvel is the other name I've seen thrown around. An abbreviated version of her backstory (Air Force Pilot that gets exposed to an exploding alien wish machine) can translate easily to screen. They would probably skip over a lot of comic continuity. She'd probably start with her modern flight-suit costume rather than the battle-swimwear.

Her name is a problem, "Captain Marvel" will sound a little corny on screen. That said, the Marvel Movies can handle it. They've been good at using nicknames, real names, or pronouns so the silly comic-book names don't get overused. She could just be "Colonel Danvers" the entire time.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 12:05 PM
I wonder if Marvel would actually make the Captain Marvel movie about Carol Danvers though. She's only recently picked up the mantle, isn't the first to carry it and isn't even the first woman to carry it.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-26, 12:11 PM
The introduction of Kree into the MCU could let them shortcut past Mar-Vell and simply give us a Ms. Marvel movie flat-out.

Ravian
2014-02-26, 12:14 PM
I wonder if Marvel would actually make the Captain Marvel movie about Carol Danvers though. She's only recently picked up the mantle, isn't the first to carry it and isn't even the first woman to carry it.

True but she's probably the most recognizable (really going from Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel was just a formality at that point.)

The name is a problem though, but it would be equally as hard to make a superhero movie titled "Carol Danvers"

Hmm... perhaps a title focussed on an event (Something Kree related?) though that does break the usual formula with super hero movies.

BRC
2014-02-26, 12:18 PM

Probably Not. From what I can tell while Mar-Vell was around for a while, he never really had a strong presence in the 616. Carol Danvers as Ms Marvel was a far more popular character.

They'd probably skip straight to Captain for several reasons.
1) The swimsuit would look ridiculous on screen. The Flight Suit would work though.
2) She's Captain marvel in the comics right now, with a new Ms Marvel. All the Captain Marvel books in the shelves right now are Carol Danvers unless you want to dig back to the 70s.

Dragonus45
2014-02-26, 12:24 PM
Honestly I'm torn, Carol Dnavers is easily the single most capable heroin of the Marvelverse to carry a story, but skipping Captain Mahr Vehl means skipping one of my personal favorite heroes, and death scenes, in all of Marvel. Curses, can anyone think of a way to manage both?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-26, 12:37 PM
Surprise Mar-Vell appearance in Guardians?

Hyena
2014-02-26, 12:41 PM
I didn't care about these characters or this movie before seeing this trailer. After seeing it, I still don't.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 12:43 PM
2) She's Captain marvel in the comics right now, with a new Ms Marvel. All the Captain Marvel books in the shelves right now are Carol Danvers unless you want to dig back to the 70s.

You...don't know much about the mantle, do you?

Genis-Vell was Captain Marvel for quite some time and Phyla-Vell was Captain Marvel for a stint (I'm not counting Monica because I believe she had the mantle back during the 70s). Phyla would seems more likely to appear as Captain Marvel, because of her ties with Guardians of the Galaxy, while you'd have to find some way to introduce Carol.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-26, 12:46 PM
Not that hard to introduce her, have Carol be the first response to an Alien crash site, have her get infected or something and then have Fury contact her. (Not sure how close that would be to the carácter but it could work)

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-26, 12:47 PM
Not that hard to introduce her, have Carol be the first response to an Alien crash site, have her get infected or something and then have Fury contact her. (Not sure how close that would be to the carácter but it could work)
It would phase out Captain Marvel's role in the whole matter, but it'd leave Carol intact as a human with Kree DNA.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 12:51 PM
Why call her Captain Marvel then? Why not Warbird? I'd also suggest Binary, but then her powers would probably need to be some kind of nanotech.

Which...might make sense for this universe.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-26, 12:57 PM
Probably "Captain Marvel" or "Ms. Marvel" for the name recognition. So that people can go out and find appropriate comics after they see the movie.

BRC
2014-02-26, 01:10 PM
Why call her Captain Marvel then? Why not Warbird? I'd also suggest Binary, but then her powers would probably need to be some kind of nanotech.

Which...might make sense for this universe.

Name recognition mainly.

People can see the captain marvel movie, the. Walk into a comic book shop, look for books titled "Captain Marvel" and find the same character. From a marketing perspective the best thing to do is have the character on screen match their most recent comic book incarnation.
Warbird would probably be the best name. It fits with her character, and could be passed off in-universe as a military call sign. But that name is somewhat hidden in comic book obscurity. There's books on the shelves right now that say Captain Marvel on the cover and star Carol Danvers. As far as building hype goes that's powerful.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 01:12 PM
I feel like calling her "Captain Marvel" would just confuse people who don't do their comic shopping at Barnes and Noble or Walmart.

Edit:

How is the new Miss Marvel title by the way? A Pakistani teenager turned into an Inhuman and wants to be a superhero is something I definitely want to read. For some reason she reminds me of 90s era Jubilee.

BRC
2014-02-26, 02:35 PM
I feel like calling her "Captain Marvel" would just confuse people who don't do their comic shopping at Barnes and Noble or Walmart.

Edit:

How is the new Miss Marvel title by the way? A Pakistani teenager turned into an Inhuman and wants to be a superhero is something I definitely want to read. For some reason she reminds me of 90s era Jubilee.

New Ms Marvel only has one issue out, but it looks really promising. Kamala hasn't gotten to do any superheroing outside her Marvel Now preview, but she seems like a very fun character.

Also, I'm pretty sure comic book stores stock the new Captain Marvel books. In fact, they're probably more likely to have the Volume 6 Books (Carol Danvers) than anything with Monica Rambeau, Mar-Vell, or one of the other Kree unless you go into the stacks. According to Wikipedia, the latest Genis-Vell books stopped in 2008, almost six years ago. They're certainly findable, but they're not going to be front and center.

It's about Merchandising and tie ins.

The Movie will increase interest for the Character. The best way to profit off that is to have, already in place, a Character that fits the Movie version in a lot of ways. That's why Hawkeye traded his goofy classic purple costume for a streamlined "Pants and Vest" like the one worn by Jeremy Renner in the movies.

Lets say they make a Carol Danvers movie, but call her Warbird. They then make another movie about Captain Marvel, featuring Genis-Vell.

Well, people are going to be clamoring for more. They're going to want Warbird T-shirts, Warbird Mugs, and yes, Warbird comics.
And they're going to find...a couple comics from the 90s.

Meanwhile, they're going to walk into their comics stores looking for stories about Captain Marvel the Alien Soldier, and they'll find, right up front, Carol Danvers. "Whose this lady, where's my Alien" they'll ask.

Sure, if they put some effort into it they could dig up Genis-Vell comics, but those will have a limited run unless Marvel jumps through hoops to bring Genis-Vell back and give him the title of Captain Marvel again.

Now, let's say they make a Captain Marvel movie about Carol Danvers.

People go to the comic book store and, look at that, there's a well-regarded recently published series about Captain Marvel as Carol Danvers, one that is fairly accessible to people who don't want to dig out decades of continuity. Interest in the Movie feeds into interest in the Comics, which feed back into hype for the Movie.

There might be some momentary confusion from people who read old Captain Marvel/ Ms Marvel comics, but no longer follow the characters, but they can figure it out pretty easily.

As for how the Movie would go, probably something like this. Playing very fast and loose with her Origin Story:

Aliens Show up on earth, start doing evil things. Captain Mar-Vell of the Kree Empire stops them. Carol Danvers is part of the Air Force/SHIELD group sent in to investigate this strange alien Superhero. He introduces himself as "Captain Mar-Vell", they're like "Sure, Captain Marvel, whatever".

Mar-Vell reveals to Carol that he's trying to stop a Kree traitor named Yon-Rogg from recovering a powerful weapon, the Psyche-Magnetron, (Insert quips about "The what?" "It dosn't translate well from our language")

Carol and Mar-Vell set out to stop Yon-Rogg, the Psyche-Magnetron blows up, Mar-Vell and Yon-Rogg both die. Carol gets knocked out, but wakes up with Superpowers, her DNA having been merged with Mar-Vells.

Carol spends a while trying to work out the whole Superpowers thing, learning what she can do, having some fun flying around, ect.

At which point the evil Aliens show up again. The Evil Aliens very publicly begin demanding that the pathetic earthlings hand over "Captain Marvel".
They eventually use DNA scanners and pick up: Carol Danvers, since her DNA has been merged with Mar-Vells. "Ah, Captain Marvel" they say, "We found you".

You get a few minutes as she and her friends run through an exploding air force base with the aliens chasing them saying "Stand and fight us Captain Marvel", while the Air Force tries to scramble jets into the air.

Eventually Carol stops and says "Screw this, I'm going to fight them" "But you can't, Captain Marvel could barely stop them before, and you're no Captain Marvel"

Badass One Liner about "Why the hell can't I be", Grand Finale midair dogfight as Carol Zips around in the air punching and blasting Aliens. There are fireballs and explosions.

Post-Credits stinger sequence, Carol walking through some millitary based next to James Rhodes. "And you can fly" "I could always fly" "but without a plane" "And without having my drinking buddy build me a fancy suit either" "You know, had I been there, I could have taken them" "Sure thing Roadie." ect ect.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 02:49 PM
My comment was concerning people who don't go to comic shops to get their comics. They would see Captain Marvel Carol Danvers and be fine finding materials. But if they go into a well stocked comic shop, they could be facing at least three characters with that name having solo series. And now they find themselves pulled into a huge mythos that they may not have wanted to read and they'll begin questioning why the newer Marvel got face time over the others, especially if they aren't sold on Carol.

BRC
2014-02-26, 02:53 PM
My comment was concerning people who don't go to comic shops to get their comics. They would see Captain Marvel Carol Danvers and be fine finding materials. But if they go into a well stocked comic shop, they could be facing at least three characters with that name having solo series. And now they find themselves pulled into a huge mythos that they may not have wanted to read and they'll begin questioning why the newer Marvel got face time over the others, especially if they aren't sold on Carol.

And how would that be different if anybody else used the name, or if they called Carol Warbird or Binary?

Somebody goes into a comic store looking for Genis-Vell, finds Carol and says "Why did they make Genis-Vell Captain Marvel instead of Carol Danvers".
Or they go in there to find Warbird and say "Why did they call her Warbird if she's Captain Marvel now?"

Assuming they want to do anything with either Carol or Captain Marvel, the most logical choice is to have Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel. There is going to be some confusion regardless, but I think there will be MORE if the current comic-books and the Movies don't match up.

Dragonus45
2014-02-26, 02:54 PM
Do you think you could pull a movie off with her wearing the negatron whatever rings and doing the swaping thing in place of Rick Jones?

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 03:00 PM
Assuming they want to do anything with either Carol or Captain Marvel, the most logical choice is to have Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel.

To you and some others.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-02-26, 03:02 PM
I find it more likely the comic shops would have staff who could say "Oh, looking for the one from the movie?" because they're savvy like that. It's a bit similar to how Fraction's Hawkeye run is a lot closer to the Hawkeye in the Avengers movie than a lot of Hawkeye.

Dragonus45
2014-02-26, 03:15 PM
Assuming they want to do anything with either Carol or Captain Marvel, the most logical choice is to have Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel. There is going to be some confusion regardless, but I think there will be MORE if the current comic-books and the Movies don't match up.

I agree with you, I just think its sad because Mahr Vell is one of my favorite characters and its a shame he probably wont get a movie.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 03:19 PM
I find it more likely the comic shops would have staff who could say "Oh, looking for the one from the movie?" because they're savvy like that. It's a bit similar to how Fraction's Hawkeye run is a lot closer to the Hawkeye in the Avengers movie than a lot of Hawkeye.

Well, obviously I was discussing in a consumer environment devoid of said employees. Being sales people and having their own bias, they could easily suggest the original Mar-Vell or even try to get them to follow everyone who ever used the name. :smalltongue:

I was thinking of walking in, going to the C's and finding several different Captain Marvel titles, with varying characters. And then if they want to follow Carol specifically, they'd need further research.

And to be honest, I've never heard of anything that'd make me want to read Carol's stories, but I've heard enough about Mar and Genis to want to look into them.

I don't see too much of an issue with calling her Warbird. If the movie goes well, Marvel would just have her go back to being Warbird. Like how they always change the comics to match more like the movies... *cough*Fury's bastard son*cough*

TheThan
2014-02-26, 03:58 PM
Oh I got hit by a meme and didn’t know it.
Anyway, I like that Captain Marvel idea. The only real issue I have is making sure that this Captain Marvel is not confused with another DC character of the same name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_%28DC_Comics%29). Not that I would mind seeing that Captain Marvel on the big screen either.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 04:01 PM
Anyway, I like that Captain Marvel idea. The only real issue I have is making sure that this Captain Marvel is not confused with another DC character of the same name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_%28DC_Comics%29). Not that I would mind seeing that Captain Marvel on the big screen either.

DC can't use the name "Captain Marvel" in solicitation or advertisement though. To a lot of people, Billy Batson is known as Shazam.

BRC
2014-02-26, 04:02 PM

DC has been working to fix that, they've new 52'd the character into being Shazam.
Which carries a whole list of logistical issues considering how the character works.

Zmeoaice
2014-02-26, 07:53 PM
Why call her Captain Marvel then? Why not Warbird?

Because Captain Marvel sounds better than Warbird.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 08:25 PM
Because Captain Marvel sounds better than Warbird.

Yeah...it doesn't.

Miss Marvel sounds better than Captain Marvel. Warbird sounds better. Binary sounds better. They all recognize her as her own character instead of yet another person picking up and running with a legacy mantle.

Dragonus45
2014-02-26, 09:19 PM
Yeah...it doesn't.

Miss Marvel sounds better than Captain Marvel. Warbird sounds better. Binary sounds better. They all recognize her as her own character instead of yet another person picking up and running with a legacy mantle.

And Miss Marvel isn't just another derivative legacy name? Calling her Captain Marvel acknowledges her as a worthy successor equal to him. And binary was a whole different power set so it doesn't work. Warbird just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-26, 09:51 PM
DC has been working to fix that, they've new 52'd the character into being Shazam.
Which carries a whole list of logistical issues considering how the character works.

That issue is as old as Captain Marvel Jr.... who was Elvis' fave growing up.

And Miss Marvel isn't just another derivative legacy name? Calling her Captain Marvel acknowledges her as a worthy successor equal to him. And binary was a whole different power set so it doesn't work. Warbird just doesn't have the same ring to it.

The general public does not know and probably does not care who Mar-Vell is, so that's basically completely irrelevant.

Captain Marvel isn't half as smooth off the tongue to say as Miss Marvel which has softer sounds or Warbird which is short.

Also in context of movies... you have two Captains? Does NOT compute!

Xondoure
2014-02-26, 09:53 PM
If they name her Warbird they will come out with a line of comics in which she's called warbird. Problem solved. If they call her Captain Marvel and people accidentally buy titles of other characters with the same name, that still generates income. So not a problem.

Ranxerox
2014-02-26, 10:32 PM
If they name her Warbird they will come out with a line of comics in which she's called warbird. Problem solved. If they call her Captain Marvel and people accidentally buy titles of other characters with the same name, that still generates income. So not a problem.

This is true, and sense it takes 2 or 3 years to make at movie, they could have a years worth of comics under whatever moniker they want.

Persnickety complaint: Would people please stop referring to Carol Danvers as Miss Marvel. She has never gone by that name. She used to be called Ms. Marvel.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 11:03 PM
Persnickety complaint: Would people please stop referring to Carol Danvers as Miss Marvel. She has never gone by that name. She used to be called Ms. Marvel.

You understand that doesn't matter when it's spoken, right? Which, inside the 4th wall, it would almost exclusively be?

Ranxerox
2014-02-26, 11:10 PM
Ms. is pronounced "miz", rhymes with "Liz".

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 11:12 PM
Ms. is pronounced "miz", rhymes with "Liz".

I pronounce it the exact same way as Miss. Since that's what it's an abbreviation for.

I never knew the actual history behind that honorific, so I retract that.

thorgrim29
2014-02-26, 11:28 PM
I know nothing about any of those characters, but it could be fun if they manage to walk the line between serious and comic properly. Too serious and, ironically, nobody will be able to take it seriously, and too comedic would make their inevitable cameos/meaningful parts in the avengers storyline too jarring (that was the collector we glimpsed in the trailer right?). Also wasn't there some noise a while back about chest beam guy from XMen first class being the main character of this movie ?

As to the Captain/Miss/Whatever Marvel thing, I could totally see Tony Stark sarcastically calling someone miss marvel because she has powers and the nickname sticking, he seems like the kind of guy to have Anansi-like nicknaming powers. Or they could make the Antman movie be about Hank and Wasp as equals, she always seemed like a more interesting character to me anyway (based of very limited knowledge of the characters)

Dragonus45
2014-02-26, 11:30 PM

Whats the difference, i know Ms Mrs are different but what is the difference between Ms and Miss?

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 11:34 PM
Whats the difference, i know Ms Mrs are different but what is the difference between Ms and Miss?

They're separate honorifics. Miss is for an unmarried woman, while Ms. is marriage-neutral.

Ravian
2014-02-26, 11:38 PM

None at all technically, Miss is the unabbreviated form of Ms. Same as Mister is for Mr.

I don't mind either version, since there's really no difference between them (pronunciation is more a matter of choice and/or accent) I generally use Miss in writing though if it's something besides a regular name, I will use the unabreviated form, same with Doctor Who, Mister Freeze, though strangely I tend towards Mr. Fantastic (possibly because of the length and the fact that I usually just call him Reed Richards)

Long story short, it's a matter of preference (and comics would generally use the abbreviated form to save space)

On marriage status: Again I think that's more a matter of preference, Miss or Ms. is used for both unmarried women and those whose marital status is unknown (since assuming might imply they look old) That's how I was taught at least.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-26, 11:40 PM
None at all technically, Miss is the unabbreviated form of Ms. Same as Mister is for Mr.

I don't mind either version, since there's really no difference between them (pronunciation is more a matter of choice and/or accent) I generally use Miss in writing though if it's something besides a regular name, I will use the unabreviated form, same with Doctor Who, Mister Freeze, though strangely I tend towards Mr. Fantastic (possibly because of the length and the fact that I usually just call him Reed Richards)

Long story short, it's a matter of preference (and comics would generally use the abbreviated form to save space)

Ms. and Miss are actually completely different terms.

Dragonus45
2014-02-27, 12:06 AM

That makes no sense to me, but I'll go with it. What is Ms. abbreviating then?

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-27, 12:14 AM
That makes no sense to me, but I'll go with it. What is Ms. abbreviating then?

Nothing. That's literally its full form. It even has pluralization.

Ranxerox
2014-02-27, 12:15 AM

On marriage status: Again I think that's more a matter of preference, Miss or Ms. is used for both unmarried women and those whose marital status is unknown (since assuming might imply they look old) That's how I was taught at least.

The term Ms. was embraced by the feminist community as an alternative to the marriage status specific Miss and Mrs. They wanted to declare that their status as people was not determined by their marital status. Note that we call all men mister and don't change it if they are married or unmarried.

At the time Ms Marvel was introduced, Ms magazine was the flagship periodical of feminist movement, and Marvel, always eager to topical, intended Ms Marvel not just to be a female superhero but also a feminist one. The choice of Ms Marvel and not Miss Marvel for her was a very deliberate one.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-27, 12:30 AM

No they are both short for Mistress.

Tanuki Tales
2014-02-27, 12:31 AM
No they are both short for Mistress.

That also covers Mrs.

All three of those terms came from the word Mistress.

So, your point is non-existent in this context.

Edit:

Unless we're starting some nebulous nitpicket where we discuss the lineage of words.

Dragonus45
2014-02-27, 12:43 AM
The term Ms. was embraced by the feminist community as an alternative to the marriage status specific Miss and Mrs. They wanted to declare that their status as people was not determined by their marital status. Note that we call all men mister and don't change it if they are married or unmarried.

At the time Ms Marvel was introduced, Ms magazine was the flagship periodical of feminist movement, and Marvel, always eager to topical, intended Ms Marvel not just to be a female superhero but also a feminist one. The choice of Ms Marvel and not Miss Marvel for her was a very deliberate one.

Thanks for the thorough explanation. If that's the only difference I'll probably wind up using them interchangeably anyways.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-02-27, 12:52 AM
That also covers Mrs.

All three of those terms came from the word Mistress.

So, your point is non-existent in this context.

Edit:

Unless we're starting some nebulous nitpicket where we discuss the lineage of words.

As words are fluid things the full history of them is important if you are going to describe them as "completely separate" which distinctly implies the terms are merely coincidentally close and have some sort of radically far apart meaning... and this is not the case.

Heck one of the uses listed I'm finding is "for when unsure of Miss or Mrs" in address. So its still currently relavent too.

TheThan
2014-02-27, 01:32 AM
I know nothing about any of those characters, but it could be fun if they manage to walk the line between serious and comic properly. Too serious and, ironically, nobody will be able to take it seriously, and too comedic would make their inevitable cameos/meaningful parts in the avengers storyline too jarring (that was the collector we glimpsed in the trailer right?). Also wasn't there some noise a while back about chest beam guy from XMen first class being the main character of this movie ?

As to the Captain/Miss/Whatever Marvel thing, I could totally see Tony Stark sarcastically calling someone miss marvel because she has powers and the nickname sticking, he seems like the kind of guy to have Anansi-like nicknaming powers. Or they could make the Antman movie be about Hank and Wasp as equals, she always seemed like a more interesting character to me anyway (based of very limited knowledge of the characters)

Personally I think they should save the action/comedy for a She Hulk movie. not that Miss Marvel/Captain Marvel can’t have any humor in it, it’s that well, it should be an action movie first.

Avilan the Grey
2014-02-27, 02:13 AM
For me, at least, it is self-evident that she should take the Captain Marvel name.

Kitten Champion
2014-02-27, 02:50 AM
I don't see how Carol's name is going to be an issue. It's not like the general population would know who you're talking about any better if you used any of her pseudonyms in the first place. By the time any potential Captain Marvel movie comes up she'll have volumes of material under that name in the comics.

Anyways, if they were concerned about it, the company wouldn't have let them change her name for her comic run in the first place. I can't imagine her marketability as a movie property wasn't a concern for Marvel when they decided to relaunch her as Captain Marvel. This was what? 2012? After billions of dollars in movie revenue and 6-7 planned future films -- all for properties outside of Fox or Sony's domain. These are not people who are glibly unconcerned with the A, B or C-list heroes they've got on their roster for potential franchise films. I doubt very much they're letting their creative teams have card blanche on their properties even if they aren't micromanaging them like DC.

As to female heroes in general, I could easily see a Black Widow movie coming about relatively soon, certainly faster than Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel.

As to the topic, I might end up seeing this movie, but I have no idea what's coming out in that time frame. I rarely, very rarely, see two films a month. It looks fun, and having just watched The Lego Movie, Chris Pratt has endeared himself to me.

Rakaydos
2014-03-04, 12:17 AM
I dont know anything about Ms Marvel except what I;ve seen in this thread, but it sounds like Captian Carol Danvers, Callsign Warbird has an adventure with an alien called Mar-Vell, the alien dies, and Warbird gets super powers, possibly with a "You are Mar'vel now."

Call the movie Marvel, with the alien being the event, and Captian Danvers of SHIELD being the viewpoint character, and gaining powers either in the middle or at the end. Then you can call any followup movies Warbird.

So when people see the Marvel movie where Warbird gets Mar-Vel's powers, and they go to a comic shop and get directed to Ms. Marvel, it's not a complete shift.

The New Bruceski
2014-03-04, 01:39 AM
I thought DC sued for and got Captain Marvel because he was too close to Superman?

Ravian
2014-03-04, 02:43 AM
I thought DC sued for and got Captain Marvel because he was too close to Superman?

I think you're mixing up the Marvels, and the times.

Early in comic history a character named Captain Marvel (who is now known as Shazam) was sued by DC comics for the similarities to Superman. (essentially a Superman powered by magic rather than alien origins) Ironically they later purchased the rights to Captain Marvel and added him to the regular DC universe.

Meanwhile Marvel also put out a character named captain Marvel, one very different from DC's version. (being related to the Kree alien race, and possessing a number of cosmic energy-based powers) This also led to a number of other marvel characters with the epithet Marvel, most prominently Ms. Marvel.

Eventually to sort out the confusion of having two different characters by the name of Captain Marvel, DC changed theirs name to Shazam (a name that already had relevance to their universe) and Marvel eventually had Ms. Marvel become Captain Marvel (since the original Captain Marvel had died (I think) and she had already become a more prominent character)

Does that sort everything out?

Dragonus45
2014-03-04, 05:57 AM
I think you're mixing up the Marvels, and the times.

Early in comic history a character named Captain Marvel (who is now known as Shazam) was sued by DC comics for the similarities to Superman. (essentially a Superman powered by magic rather than alien origins) Ironically they later purchased the rights to Captain Marvel and added him to the regular DC universe.

Meanwhile Marvel also put out a character named captain Marvel, one very different from DC's version. (being related to the Kree alien race, and possessing a number of cosmic energy-based powers) This also led to a number of other marvel characters with the epithet Marvel, most prominently Ms. Marvel.

Eventually to sort out the confusion of having two different characters by the name of Captain Marvel, DC changed theirs name to Shazam (a name that already had relevance to their universe) and Marvel eventually had Ms. Marvel become Captain Marvel (since the original Captain Marvel had died (I think) and she had already become a more prominent character)

Does that sort everything out?

Yea that about sums it up, and while there have been a few other people to use the Captain Marvel name, most notably that i can think of being Monica Rambeau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monica_Rambeau) Carol has the longest run of it since Mar Vell died.

Fjolnir
2014-03-04, 07:54 AM
There are copyright issues involved as well due to Marvel trademarking Captain Marvel before DC started reviving the Shazam character...

Clertar
2014-03-08, 01:11 PM
No Cosmo? :'(

Dragonus45
2014-03-08, 04:48 PM
No Cosmo? :'(

I think the only wanted one awesome animal in the movie. Still I have hope for Cosmo in a future movie.

Shinken
2014-03-08, 08:38 PM
Oh boy. Groot strikes me as the same kind of Vin Diesel role the Iron Giant was; they'll reveal almost none of his dialogue because he has very few lines to begin with, but the ones he gets are pure gold.
In the comics, Groot only repeats "I AM GROOT!", but this works very well.

To you and some others.

Well, Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel has a really vocal fanbase. I don't see any reason to offend them.

Leon
2014-03-10, 07:03 AM
It didn't grab as a trailer but I'm willing to give it a go as I didn't like the Thor 2 trailer yet enjoyed the movie.

Velaryon
2014-03-10, 11:49 AM
The trailer looks decent. I'm not wowed by it, but I can't decide whether it's because I don't have any feelings or connection to these characters the way I do some other Marvel superheroes, or whether it's because I don't like what WWE is doing with Batista right now in hopes of leeching popularity from this movie. Maybe it's both.

I'll probably see it, since none of the recent Marvel movies have been bad.

Giggling Ghast
2014-03-10, 05:21 PM
You know what I realized the other day? Nebula, the space pirate being played by Karen Gillan, is going to be the first female villain to appear in a Marvel movie.

There have been (and will be) female villains in Agents of SHIELD, of course, but that's not the same thing. And the X-Men had female baddies, but those aren't technically part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Kitten Champion
2014-03-10, 05:44 PM
You know what I realized the other day? Nebula, the space pirate being played by Karen Gillan, is going to be the first female villain to appear in a Marvel movie.

There have been (and will be) female villains in Agents of SHIELD, of course, but that's not the same thing. And the X-Men had female baddies, but those aren't technically part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Yeah, come to think about it.

The closest up to now would be the Extremis soldiers working with Aldrich Killian, particularly the one that tried to kill Tony in Kentucky.

Giggling Ghast
2014-03-10, 06:11 PM
Oh, I totes forgot about her, and she had one of the best scenes in the movie to boot. Still, she was a disposable mook whose name I can't recall, so my point is half-valid.

Dragonus45
2014-03-11, 06:57 PM
Oh, I totes forgot about her, and she had one of the best scenes in the movie to boot. Still, she was a disposable mook whose name I can't recall, so my point is half-valid.

Well all of the extremis mooks had names, and were references to minor villains in the comics from what i understand.

Avilan the Grey
2014-03-12, 03:55 AM
Yeah, come to think about it.

The closest up to now would be the Extremis soldiers working with Aldrich Killian, particularly the one that tried to kill Tony in Kentucky.

Honestly what I liked best about her was that she wasn't 1000% super gorgeous.

Kitten Champion
2014-03-12, 04:16 AM
Honestly what I liked best about her was that she wasn't 1000% super gorgeous.

I agree. The uber-attractive femme villain is pretty mundane in comics and movies - the X-Men movies have had several - but somewhat regular-looking mooks? Not so much.

That's an example of a functionally gender-less role that normally gets filled by a male actor for no other reason than sexism. The kind that refuses to see a woman come to harm just because she's a woman. Tony just kills her, which is what any sane person in his position would do, and without any stupid formulaic Hollywood BS getting in the way.

bmosley45
2014-03-12, 02:08 PM
I'm really reserved about this. Most people probably don't know about Guardians, and neither do I - - and I'm not really interested in really learning about them unless there is an overwhelmingly positive review.

Chris Pratt is awesome, but Zoe Saldana as a "bad ass, beat 'em up girl" is hard to believe because she is so very tiny. Claudia Black/Angela Bassett are two great actresses that under are utilized and can come off as tough on screen and the audience will buy it. Hollywood has a bad habit of putting very beautiful, but very skinny women who are popular at the time but can't do the tough girl role very well.

That being said, Marvel has had a pretty decent run in the theaters so far, so I'm somewhat interested. I think I will wait for reviews first before seeing this one.

Avengers 2 please.

Dragonus45
2014-03-12, 03:22 PM
That's an example of a functionally gender-less role that normally gets filled by a male actor for no other reason than sexism. The kind that refuses to see a woman come to harm just because she's a woman. Tony just kills her, which is what any sane person in his position would do, and without any stupid formulaic Hollywood BS getting in the way.

I agree that the need to fill all the disposable roles with men is rather sexist, but I think we may be thinking of it from the opposite directions.

Phexar
2014-03-12, 10:44 PM

Well all of the extremis mooks had names, and were references to minor villains in the comics from what i understand.

Indeed, her name was Ellen Brandt, a reference to Man-Thing's ex-wife:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Ellen_Brandt_%28Earth-616%29
http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Ellen_Brandt