PDA

View Full Version : The clown pit: Squeezing undead into an enveloping pit

Raunchel
2014-02-19, 07:24 AM
In one of the local campaigns that I'm in, I play a necromancer with quite a few undead. And I just came into the possession of an enveloping pit. I think that this could make for a nice way to transport my undead army, especially because the party tends to teleport around a lot, which has already led to me losing quite a few of my zombies and skeletons. And the wizard doesn't want to burn more slots to bring my undead across. I currently have a varied army, ranging from goblins to a pair of storm giant skeletons.

So I find myself wondering, are there any rules for stuffing them all in there? Is there a way to make them take up less space so I can transport more this way?

Clistenes
2014-02-19, 07:33 AM
Well, since nothing prevents you from opening an Enveloping Pit within another Enveloping Pit, you could seek more of them, open them into the first Enveloping Pit, and voila! Portable Dungeon!

You could even build yourself a nice labe there. You would need a Bottle of Air or similar item to refresh the air within, a Continual Flame or more for light, and maybe a few illusions to make the place less depressing and claustrophobic.

Red Fel
2014-02-19, 08:16 AM
There is a wondrous item called the Robe of Bones (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#robeofBones), which has undead embroidered into it that you can rip out and make real.

There is a feat called Craft Wondrous Item.

I was in a Dragonlance campaign where a Black Robe Wizard combined the two, and basically embroidered her undead, including a massive dragon she zombified, into the lining of her robes for ease of travel.

It's technically a stretch of RAW, but I think you could get a DM to agree to a houserule on this point.

Raunchel
2014-02-19, 03:37 PM
Well, since nothing prevents you from opening an Enveloping Pit within another Enveloping Pit, you could seek more of them, open them into the first Enveloping Pit, and voila! Portable Dungeon!

You could even build yourself a nice labe there. You would need a Bottle of Air or similar item to refresh the air within, a Continual Flame or more for light, and maybe a few illusions to make the place less depressing and claustrophobic.

I actually found a cheaper way to survive in there, I filled it with water, as I have a ring of water breathing. Any undead should be fine as well. The only problem is that everything tends to get wet.

But it is possible to put multiple pits into eachother? So it would become even deeper? Or would it also be possible to let them open on a side, to get a bit of a central room?