PDA

View Full Version : Paladin to Blackguard exchange

MrNexx
2007-01-29, 11:14 PM
Assuming, for a moment, a Paladin has all of the prerequisites for Blackguard, does he have to wait for level up to exchange levels of Paladin for levels of Blackguard?

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-29, 11:18 PM
Fallen Paladins

Blackguards who have levels in the paladin class (that is to say, are now ex-paladins) gain extra abilities the more levels of paladin they have.

A fallen paladin who becomes a blackguard gains all of the following abilities that apply, according to the number of paladin levels the character has.

11 or more

A fallen paladin of this stature immediately gains a blackguard level for each level of paladin he trades in.

The character level of the character does not change. With the loss of paladin levels, the character no longer gains as many extra abilities for being a fallen paladin.You need to be a blackguard before the trade-in is possible

jjpickar
2007-01-29, 11:18 PM
I just read the description and it seems it only works if you are level 11 or more but it doesn't specify. I would guess no. But that's just an initial impression. I'll leave it to more rules savvy posters than myself.

Edit: awww. Simu-thunder stealer struck again.

Zincorium
2007-01-29, 11:48 PM
If you want to milk the paladin-blackguard thing for all it's worth, take a long hard look at Shadowbane Inquisitor from the complete adventurer. Fallen inquisitors can't progress any farther, but they retain all abilities. As an additional bonus, they treat all Shadowbane inquisitor levels as paladin levels for the purposes of the blackguard ability table.

So: 5 levels paladin, 1 level rogue, all 10 levels of shadowbane inquisitor, and then go into blackguard (which is very easy, once the alignment thing is taken care of, since hide is now a class skill for 2 of your 3 classes). Use the level 11 ex-paladin ability to trade in all paladin levels for blackguard. Voila, you retain all the ex-paladin abilities from shadowbane inquisitor, all shadowbane inquisitor abilities, and can make level 9 blackguard before epic.