PDA

View Full Version : OOTS Gets A Shout Out In Marvel/HP Crossover (spoilers)

eilandesq
2014-02-19, 08:29 AM
In the latest chapter of the excellent Marvel Universe/Harry Potter crossover Child of the Storm, one of the bad guys uses a rather familiar looking spell to instantly slay hundreds of dragons before using their bodies for a dark purpose:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8897431/43/Child-of-the-Storm

If you haven't encountered this story yet and like Harry Potter and/or Marvel Universe stories, I'd recommend it.

Xelbiuj
2014-02-19, 08:39 AM
Not to be "that guy" but why does a shoutout in a fanfict warrant noting?

AstralFire
2014-02-19, 08:58 AM
Why is there a Harry Potter/Marvel Univ- I'm not going to ask this question, I'm going to walk away.

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-19, 10:03 AM
Why is there a Harry Potter/Marvel Univ- I'm not going to ask this question, I'm going to walk away.

Because Avengers Academy and the Jean Grey School need someone to play Quidditch against. :smallwink:

NerdyKris
2014-02-19, 10:21 AM
Not to be "that guy" but why does a shoutout in a fanfict warrant noting?

I'm going to have to agree. This is a fan fic. You can find thousands of "shoutouts" for anything if you start delving into fan fic archives.

Sir_Leorik
2014-02-19, 01:25 PM
I'm going to have to agree. This is a fan fic. You can find thousands of "shoutouts" for anything if you start delving into fan fic archives.

By it's very definition, all fanfic is a "shoutout", with some rare gems rising to the level of "homage".

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-19, 02:06 PM
I saw that as well. The author told me that it was indeed a deliberate shout out. It is a pretty good fanfiction, and it's actually relatively popular.

ti'esar
2014-02-19, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure what's really noteworthy about this. Fanfiction is very prone to this kind of reference.

JBiddles
2014-02-19, 04:12 PM
It's a popular fic. Nice to hear about the cultural presence of OotS.

NerdyKris
2014-02-19, 05:05 PM
It's a popular fic. Nice to hear about the cultural presence of OotS.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that Order of the Stick has far more readers than some fan fiction about Harry Potter and the X-men.

It's like congratulating Simpsons for having a shout out on Bob's Burgers.

Finn Solomon
2014-02-19, 10:22 PM
Clearly nothing more than a not-so-subtle ploy to get people to read the fanfiction. It's just sad, really.

Nimbus Llewelyn
2014-07-12, 06:41 PM
The Shout Out was in Chapter 43, about 350,000 words in. If I'd intended it to drum up more readers, I think that it would be a touch more logical to have done it a lot earlier. I shouted it out because I happen to be a fan OOTS and felt that it was amusing and appropriate. I did not ask for my fic to be referenced here (thank you, though, for the person who felt that it was worth taking the time to do that) and I am awfully sorry if it offended someone's sensibilities.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-12, 08:51 PM
The Shout Out was in Chapter 43, about 350,000 words in. If I'd intended it to drum up more readers, I think that it would be a touch more logical to have done it a lot earlier. I shouted it out because I happen to be a fan OOTS and felt that it was amusing and appropriate. I did not ask for my fic to be referenced here (thank you, though, for the person who felt that it was worth taking the time to do that) and I am awfully sorry if it offended someone's sensibilities.

Took you long enough to find this. :smalltongue: You may want to take a look at the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1) before you start replying to things.

martianmister
2014-07-14, 02:30 PM
https://www.fanfiction.net/comic/Order-of-the-Stick/

137beth
2014-07-14, 03:33 PM
I saw the title and thought
huh? Who could possibly have gotten the rights to both HP and Marvel?:smallconfused:
Then I saw the link and though "oh."