PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Interplanetary Plane Shifting

Silus
2014-02-19, 08:53 AM
So, semi-simple question.

Due to the cosmology of Pathfinder, could you, in theory, use Plane Shift (or other spells/abilities that let you hop from Plane to Plane) to hop from planet to planet, using the planes as a sort of inter-dimensional/planar hub?

Example: You're on Golarion. You Plane Shift to, say, The Abyss (A constant through the worlds I've found). You then Plane Shift again and land up, say, outside Waterdeep on Faerun. Then from there you could Interplanetary Teleport from planet to planet, but that's already written in under the spell.

Anyway, is that a thing that could happen, or not so much?

Cog
2014-02-19, 09:04 AM
Golarion and Faerun aren't in the same cosmology; you'd need to go through the Shadow Plane to get between them. For planets within the same cosmology, though, this would work.

Drachasor
2014-02-19, 09:08 AM
This is the only practical way to make a Starship in PF going by RAW. Well, teleporation works, but Plane Shift is easier.

Alleran
2014-02-19, 09:15 AM
Golarion uses a somewhat different planar cosmology to the Great Tree or Great Wheel, so technically, not unless the GM allows you to switch cosmologies like that (although the Shadow Plane has "can be used to travel to alternate Prime Material Planes" as part of its manifesto anyway).

That being said, when I was tinkering with the planar cosmology (I wasn't a fan) I didn't notice any particular difficulties in adding Golarion as a "really really big" crystal sphere that's a "really really long way" from the majority of the Wheel. Kind of like Athas, with the distance and Grey (etc.).

This is the only practical way to make a Starship in PF going by RAW. Well, teleporation works, but Plane Shift is easier.
They have a spacefaring sailing ship in the Mythic Adventures book. It's called the Silver Maiden, and it can sail in space (journeys to other planets take 3d20 days, depending on the GM) or on other planes. Pretty close to a Spelljammer, though it requires mythic power to use it. And it's an artifact on top.