PDA

View Full Version : Arknid v2 vs Balick Sutol (The Crowd Calls for Blood)

OMG PONIES
2014-02-19, 09:24 AM
The crowd is in an uproar as the two contestants are brought into the arena and unshackled in their opposing corners. The gigantic gates behind each of them would usually close with a deafening din of metal and stone, but any sound the gates would make is drowned out by those seeking entertainment. Both of them knew to expect this, but actually experiencing it was something else entirely. As the two fighters prepare to defend their lives, Arknid is the first off the blocks!

Unlike the vast majority of the combatants in the arena Balick almost does not appear dressed for battle. He wears a fine coat of forest green, left informally unbuttoned but with a flow or lace from the cuffs that hides Balick's hands and gleaming golden buttons, with tails hanging down to his knees. He has more lace flowing around the collar. His matching pants are tucked into boots that seem unsuitable for anything more than a walk across polished marble. His haughty face, sleek and proud with blond hair carefully combed to his shoulders, seems to fit the clothing.

The slim sword at his waist is a nobleman's blade, polished and ornate, and unsullied by combat. The longbow he holds is of elven make, and nearly as tall as he is, a full five and a half feet. The only bits of his attire that seems incongruousness with a formal ball are the dozen quivers slung across his back and waist.

http://i58.tinypic.com/30nf6gk.jpg

Necroticplague, you're up! Please provide a description and your first round's actions.

Initiative Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17029661&postcount=1120)

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-19, 09:54 AM
Knowledge Devotion (assuming Humoniod): [roll0] +5 Collector of Stories
Calis's Aid Another: [roll1]
Bonus: +3

Edit: Obviosly this will be on my turn, I'm rolling now so I don't forget.
Edit2: Incorrect capitalization.

Necroticplague
2014-02-19, 09:58 AM
To contrast his refined opponent, Arknid appears to be a barely kept man.Arknid wages towards the center of the arena like blood on the battlefield. The many scars in his hide shows while he may be new to gladiatordom, he most certainly isn't to battle. He wears clothing of what appears to be the hides of many animals kept together by crude sewing and leather straps, with a couple nails holding some thicker ones together. In some of the straps a series of axes are entangled/embedded. From the elbows down, his arms darken from their normal tanned color, ending with pitch black fingers, far more pointed than an average human. What skin remains a normal hue has several marks showing symbols of battle, down to an unusual tattoo on his face.

Off the block, Arknid bolts right at his opponents, blitzing straight at his foe so that he can watch which way he moves. Given the bow and saber, he likely will be a fast opponent like the last one. Lets hope he breaks as easy.
Double-move to j11

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-19, 10:03 AM
I can't see the map right now, what square is Balick in?

Necroticplague
2014-02-19, 10:15 AM
I can't see the map right now, what square is Balick in?

A20, you started on the bottom-left, opposite of me in t1.

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-19, 10:34 AM
A20, you started on the bottom-left, opposite of me in t1.

Thank you.

Balick began to walk toward his foe, a smirk on his face, eyes flashing with a vibrant light. "You're not my target either. I don't relish unnecessary killing, so if you leave right now I'll let you live."

Move: to E16
Standard: Manifest Sychronity from my Dorjes. ML 3

End turn.

Necroticplague
2014-02-19, 10:53 AM
"You move first. Lets hope you have heavier weapons than the last one, they couldn't do more than scratch me."

Someone not acting on their turn strikes me as suspicious, likely involving readied actions. Thus, I'll play readied action tennis by readying an action: in reaction to any movement, attack, or otherwise noticeable non-talking actions, Arknid will charge, attempting to grapple. This occurs before the talking, if it has an effect on the tennis match.

OMG PONIES
2014-02-19, 11:07 AM
From the SRD:

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action.
Also from the SRD:

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action.
Thus, you cannot ready a charge. Please select a different action.

Unrelated: I hate how pedantic this sounds, but Arknid is a creature of 4 INT if I recall correctly (as I'm away from his sheet right now). Can we please have him speak like one?

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-19, 11:10 AM
OOC: Can I go ahead, or should I wait?

OMG PONIES
2014-02-19, 11:10 AM
Pause, please.

Necroticplague
2014-02-19, 11:19 AM
From the SRD[:

Also from the SRD:

Thus, you cannot ready a charge. Please select a different action.

Unrelated: I hate how pedantic this sounds, but Arknid is a creature of 4 INT if I recall correctly (as I'm away from his sheet right now). Can we please have him speak like one?

A partial charge, on the other hand, is only a standard action. So instead, I ready to partial charge at him to grapple while he perform any non-talking noticeable actions while he is within the range of me to do so.

In my defense, even if he is only marginally smarter than a horse, his wisdom is only slightly below average. I'll try to tone it down, though that particular remark wasn't much warrior-poet. Thought it added something interesting to an otherwise boring series. Guess this just means ill have to make him more emotive than vocal.

OMG PONIES
2014-02-19, 01:19 PM
From the SRD:

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.
Emphasis mine. Partial actions were a relic of 3.0; in 3.5 you can only do a "partial charge" if your actions are restricted (like, say, a zombie).

As far as Arknid's Intelligence level, the previous comment didn't trigger too much concern in me. Based on prior comments, though, I didn't want anyone to infer that his waxing poetic was the product of a high INT score.

Necroticplague
2014-02-19, 02:13 PM
Hold on a second, while it does say you can only prepare a standard, move, or free action, it doesn't say one or the other. So if an action is both a standard and a move action, you could logically ready it. Well, a full-round action is a standard and move action, so it should be allowable.

Ah screw it, I'll just accept I'm not gonna do damage this turn. My readied action will be to initiate a full defense action (standard) if he takes any non-talking noticeable actions.

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-20, 09:38 AM
"I don't need more than a scratch, big man." Balick sneered. "Now sit down and shut up."

A sheen of glistening goop materializes under Arknid's feet, taking his balance.

Readied Action goes off, triggered by your end of turn.

Make a DC 15 Reflex save or fall. Squares J11, J12, I11, I12 are coated in ectoplasm. Treat them as greased.

Because I took a readied action it now my turn in round three. I'd like to know the result of the save before I take that turn.

Manifest Psionic Grease. One PP used.

Necroticplague
2014-02-20, 10:21 AM
Arknid see the thing at his feet and puts his word as if to shield him from it, before his feet start to slide against the new surface film.

i was right, you were doing stuff with readied actions!
That triggers my full-defense, though not relevant here. Yet.

Reflex save: [roll0]

Fortunately, he manages to keep his footing by merely leaning back so the massive sword in front of him balances his weight.

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-20, 10:47 AM
Balick's eyes flash with unearthly light again.

Use another charge of my Dorjes of Synchrony.
End turn.

Necroticplague
2014-02-20, 12:40 PM
Seeing this new ground is hard to walk on, Arknid drops to the ground, using three limbs to move towards with magic-using foe while he covers his head with his sword with the free hand to shield him for arrows.
free action to drop prone.
Standard action to use full defense.
DC 10 balance to move:[roll0]
If successful, move to E16

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-20, 12:58 PM
As Arknid attempts to take cover a ball of sticky goo flies toward him.

Tiggers on Arknid attempting to drop prone.
[roll0] vs. Touch. If this hits Arknid is Entangled for five rounds.
Entangling Ectoplasm, manifested from a Dorjes.
Continue your turn.

EDIT: If anything seems rude, it's unintentional. I'm typing from my iPad.

Necroticplague
2014-02-20, 01:16 PM
This is clearly psionics based on the use of ectoplasm, so that makes this entangling ectoplasm. I count as large for being effected by things, so was that augmented to effect large creatures or just medium?

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-20, 01:53 PM
Should I have been able to tell that from your appearance? If so I'd like to take another action. If not, then no, it would not be augmented.

Necroticplague
2014-02-20, 02:29 PM
I'm not really sure.I mean, he is pretty big for a human, at 6 feet 3 inch and 250 pounds, but I'm not really sure it's enough to imply a distant giant descendance. How about a k:nature check to learn my special abilities from race, that comes as part of it (even though it is a feat, it is relevant to my ancestory), and we call it even? DC is 14 if you decide to do so.

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-20, 02:38 PM
I think we're venturing into PONIES territory here. If it is a DC 14 check then I succeed.

OMG PONIES
2014-02-20, 02:55 PM
Yep, squarely in my territory :smallbiggrin:. There is no RAW way to identify this particular feat, but the feat is moot as it does not count Arknid as Large in this situation. The psionic power affects him normally with no need to augment. Actions stand as listed.
From the text of Jotunbrud:

Whenever you receive a modifier based on your size on an opposed roll (such as during grapple and bull rush attempts), you are treated as Large if that's advantageous to you. You are also considered to be Large when determining whether a monster's special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) affect you.
Thus, the feat allows you to be treated as Large for only two purposes:

When you're making an opposed roll that grants a modifier based on size.
When determining whether a monster's special attacks based on size affect you.
Since this falls squarely outside of those two purposes, the feat does not allow you to be treated as Large in determining whether or not Balick's power can affect you.

Necroticplague
2014-02-22, 04:53 AM
Psionics is a special attack.This power is based on size because it can only effect creatures of certain size categories.I'm not seeing how this doesn't qualify. Do you not think psionics count as a special attack, or that this doesn't count as being based on size?

As for nature as special attack:Both the precedent set by psionic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/blue.htm) creatures shows that manifesting is a special attack.Especially relevant as that creature statted gets its manifesting from its class, showing that even manifesting from class levels is a special attack.
As does the following:A special quality is either EX,SU,or SP. Manifesting is a psi-like ability. Because of transparency, psi-likes are also spell-likes (precedence) That makes manifesting a special ability. Since this special ability is a mode of attack, that makes it a special attack.

OMG PONIES
2014-02-22, 08:13 AM
It doesn't matter whether psionics is a special attack, as Balick is not a monster. Thus, the point becomes moot as Jotunbrud only comes into play vis a vis opposed rolls [vs anyone] or the special attacks of monsters.

Even if he was a monster, I'm not sold that Entangling Ectoplasm is a special attack based on size. Consider, for example the clause included in both improved grab and swallow whole (the two examples given in the text):

Unless otherwise noted, improved grab works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature

Unless otherwise noted, the opponent can be up to one size category smaller than the swallowing creature.

This language is conspicuously absent from the text of Entangling Ectoplasm. The power itself is not based on size. Augmentation simply changes the "target" line of the power, but that is not necessary here as Arknid is not a large creature. As it stands, Balick can target Medium creatures and Arknid is a medium creature who is only considered Large for two specific purposes, neither of which apply here.

Necroticplague
2014-02-22, 11:57 AM
Good point. Even if I was considered large, it wouldn't matter since the effect itself doesn't have a limit against big creatures, just the target, which I am a valid target (medium creature).Sorry for wasting so much time.

Arknid was Expecting another attack, so he manages to swat at the ball heading towards him. This doesn't really help at all though, given how it merely splatters all over him, making it even harder to move.His crawl greatly slowed, he barely manages to inch his way toward his opponent.
Still making with the Total defense and moving, but now I can only inch my way to I13.
Balance Check: [roll0]

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-22, 12:18 PM
Balick turns and walks away from his crawling opponent, smirking. "I doubt crawling will avail you. If you don't stand you'll never catch me." Balick glances over his shoulder again, eyes flashing with a vibrant light. "Don't die on your knees, dog."

Move: To C17

Use another charge of my Dorjes of Synchrony.

Necroticplague, do you need to make saves against the poison Tag used against you in your previous fight? Even susseful saves require another save to avoid the secondary damage after ten rounds.

End turn.

Necroticplague
2014-02-22, 12:57 PM
For the one that was a STR poison, yes. Still have 4 more rounds to go for the DEX poison. Don't know the secondary effect, though.
FORT:[roll0]

"Got a better idea: I'll kill you on them." With this, he simply hauls it, Crawling like a spider despite the goo making it difficult to move. A familiar rubbery feeling strikes him, making him grimace as he does so.

Free:Talk
Standard:Ready an action.
Move 20 feet towards him if he takes any action during my turn.
Move:Move 20 feet towards Balick (ending up in g16 if circumstances *coughreadiedpsionicgreasecough* don't change anything)

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-22, 01:39 PM
"Big words from someone who won't even stand up for feat of my bow." Balick's voice drops down into a whisper as he addresses Arknid. "I'll let you in on a secret, I don't actually have much use for it. I usually just leave the thing at home, but endurance matters today."

Suddenly five arrows float out of the quiver on Balick's back and hang ominously in the air, tips pointed towards the warrior.

"I prefer my mind."

Five shafts spring into deadly motion, seeking Arknid's heart.

Triggers when Arknid moves.
Use a charge of my Dorjes of Telekinetic Thrust.
Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] and DC 23 Fort or [roll2] Con Damage
Crit Confirm:[roll3]
Crit Damage: [roll4]

Attack 2: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] and DC 23 Fort or [roll7] Con Damage
Crit Confirm:[roll8]
Crit Damage: [roll9]

Attack 3: [roll10]
Damage: [roll11] and DC 23 Fort or [roll12] Con Damage
Crit Confirm:[roll13]
Crit Damage: [roll14]

Attack 4: [roll15]
Damage: [roll16] and DC 23 Fort or [roll17] Con Damage
Crit Confirm:[roll18]
Crit Damage: [roll19]

Attack 5: [roll20]
Damage: [roll21] and DC 23 Fort or [roll22] Con Damage
Crit Confirm:[roll23]
Crit Damage: [roll24]

The next turn is mine, but I'd like to see if your action triggers or you survive before taking it.

Necroticplague
2014-02-22, 02:09 PM
Seeing his foe's hands move to cast, Arknid springs forward during the distraction, moving to try and make his action miss. He's caught quite a bit by surprise when the arrows seek him. His dodging manages to make a couple miss, while several more bounce harmlessely off his skin. A couple, though, do manage to strike blood, sending Arknid into a small manner of swearing.Which is left out of the text below for purposes of the rules.
"Second cheat today. What kind of cowards do this place attract?"
Readied action was to move towards you 20 more feet (I expected more grease, so this would have moved me out of the area of effect you target. Clever deception, though.) towards you. Combined with my movement finishing (now that it's done being so rudely interrupted), that puts me next to you in D17.
Top two hit, doing 11 damage to me.
Fort saves:[roll0],[roll1]

And thus, he drops down from a tripod stance to laying prostrate, the potent venom stopping his heart.

Balick Victory!

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-22, 02:23 PM
Good match. I knew from Arknid's earlier fights that his AC was pretty good, so my goal was to debuff him before taking him down, when you started fighting defensively and dropping prone that became even more important. Still, you dodged my grease pretty well, so I figured that this was my best chance.

"Ch, you got blood on my shoes." Balik kicks Arknid's corpse as he speaks, rolling the body away from his feet.

"I grow restless! Send Alif against me! I will avenge my brother! You cannot keep him from me forever!"

How many rounds did the fight last? I lost track do to all the readied actions.

Necroticplague
2014-02-22, 02:44 PM
Good match. I knew from Arknid's earlier fights that his AC was pretty good, so my goal was to debuff him before taking him down, when you started fighting defensively and dropping prone that became even more important. Still, you dodged my grease pretty well, so I figured that this was my best chance.

Ironic you should mention defensive fighting. If I had done that with my readied action, I actually would have survived this easily.My mistake was thinking you would try and stop me from advancing using grease, not by killing me.

Lord Ruby34
2014-02-22, 03:03 PM
Ironic you should mention defensive fighting. If I had done that with my readied action, I actually would have survived this easily.My mistake was thinking you would try and stop me from advancing using grease, not by killing me.

I had to go for it eventually, and sooner is better than latter. Blitzing through these fights as fast as is practical is very much in my best interest.

OMG PONIES
2014-02-26, 09:32 AM
Balick Wins! ...but you both already knew that. This was round 4 by my accounting.