PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Masterwork tools

Dalebert
2014-02-19, 09:32 AM
Q 861
Is there anything that says a masterwork tool can't be useful in a combat situation?

Context: I suggested a tool for enhancing UMD specifically with wands via a specially-made grip that helps channel and direct the energy and my DM said it would have to be a book that would only be useful out of combat.

A861 Since it's a homebrew tool, it's the GM's prerogative to dictate what it is and how it can be used. I have the same rule in place for non-magical books or codices.

I realize it's DM's call on any homebrew tool but MW tools is a case where homebrew is actually encouraged and detailed guildelines are given. Obviously, I plan on making a case to my DM based on the guidelines and that's why I asked if there is anything in there to suggest a MW tool can't be used in a combat situation. I don't recall any. I realize he will be the ultimate decider.

There are two primary limitations suggested on MW tools as I understand the guidelines. This is what I'm calling upon to make the case that this a reasonable tool.

1) It should either only apply to a limited subset of the applications of that skill or

2) if it applies to any usage of that skill, it should have limited uses, e.g. a healing kit has 10 uses before you need to buy another.

A glove or a wandgrip that's designed to channel magic would fit #1 quite well. "Wands only" is a very limited tool given all the applications of UMD. Maybe even "items that can be activated with one hand" for a specialized glove.