PDA

View Full Version : Eberron - shifter becoming a full lycanthrope

caden_varn
2014-02-19, 10:25 AM
My character in Eberron is about to be given a riddle to his heart's desire. The DM having asked me what his heart's desire is, I have decided he secretly wants to be a proper lycanthrope, able to shift forms at will and for as long as he wants rather than the few minutes a day that he can currently manage. This has made me curious about how what methods there might be to do this by RAW, and what the consequences would be for his current build? I'm not sure we'll ever get that far even if he decodes the riddle and goes for it..
I am primarily looking at the Core rules and Eberron books as that is what we have access to, but I'd be interested in options outside this just for information.

Ways to become a full weretiger -

Death & Reincarnation - even if weretiger was on the list I'm as likely to turn into a Halfling, or worse an elf. No good.
Bitten by a weretiger (and surviving) - become an afflicted lycanthrope with no control. No good.
Wish. I guess this one would work, not sure it it falls in the standard wish or 'DM screwing with you' territory

Then assuming he gets his wish and becomes a weretiger, what effect does this have on him? Is he still classified as a shifter?

At the moment he is a Longtooth shifter, Ranger(shifter variant) 1, Barbarian 4, Weretouched Master (weretiger) 4 with a host of shifter feats (I will post more details if it useful). RAW, would he lose access to these? Or would he be able to use his shifter feats while in lycanthropic form? Or would he retain his normal shifts/day and only have access to the shifter feats while shifted, as now? Or should my DM look at all these questions and decide it is far too complex and take one of the other options for my heart's desire? (I'm pointing my DM to this thread in case it is useful for him).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-19, 10:26 AM
Use the Weretiger Template Class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a) and Gaining a Template Midcampaign (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) for rules on the template classes.

Dusk Eclipse
2014-02-19, 11:27 AM
Shifters are immune to Lycanthropy, so the only way within RAW (to a certain degree) would be wishing to become a full were-tiger.

Question, are you using the Errata on Weretouched master?

Nihilarian
2014-02-19, 11:32 AM
The weretouched master has a lot of overlap with the weretiger template (which is intended, since it's supposed to mimic a shifter becoming a full lycanthrope). If you're set on the template and your DM is willing to play ball, see if he'll let you trade the levels in WTM for levels in the template class Biff linked.

Edit: Though, your best bet is just asking the DM to let you use WTM without the errata.

caden_varn
2014-02-20, 09:59 AM
Question, are you using the Errata on Weretouched master?

Erm, was not aware there was any, so no...

Yogibear41
2014-02-20, 08:56 PM
The Errata takes a good class, and makes it bad. A better Errata would have been to boost the non-bear and non-tiger entries into the dire version stats of said critters so they were actually viable choices.

caden_varn
2014-02-21, 04:29 AM
In that case I am glad I am not using the errataed version.

Thanks for the info everyone - I'll discuss with the DM and see what he thinks.