PDA

View Full Version : Music Videos

SDF
2007-01-29, 11:44 PM
Lots of threads on liking/disliking music, but when you combine pictures with sound you get twice the art, and twice the elitism. :smallbiggrin: So what are everyones favorite vids?

I really like the video for Hell Bent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq-6RgMtkdU) by Kenna, which itself is a cut from the short film More (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtUS1pDMOQ) which features the song Elegia by New Order

Zeke
2007-01-30, 06:54 AM
I personally like Ciara and Missy Eliot.

tape_measure
2007-01-30, 11:59 AM
I've always been a fan of:

Tool's claymation
Nirvana's sense of colors
Foofighter's kookiness

It's been so long since I've seen a 'Music Video'. I thought those were on the Endangered Species list since the 90's

Spartan_Samuel
2007-01-30, 12:13 PM
Seven Nation Army was kind of trippy (White Stripes), but Fat Lip by Sum 41 is pretty kick butt otherwise.

Reinforcements
2007-01-30, 12:22 PM
I was always a big fan of the Wonderboy (Tenacious D) music video.

Teal Kuinshi
2007-01-30, 12:31 PM
They Might be Giants' song 'Istanbul, not Constantinople'.

Zeke
2007-01-30, 01:56 PM

Ya, that music video is awesome. I also like the Tribute (Tenacious D) music video.

Jibar
2007-01-30, 02:22 PM
Music videos are wierd. You end up with songs that are better with the video, and songs that suck with the video.
Tenacious D are always gonna give you a quality video. The "**** her gently" video is my favorite.
Some bands don't go for extravagent videos, like Arctic Monkeys, I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, which is nice to just see the band in action.
Some of them have annoying bits where the music is spoken over, like Travis, Turn.

Amotis
2007-01-30, 02:57 PM
I've always been a fan of:

Tool's claymation
Nirvana's sense of colors
Foofighter's kookiness

It's been so long since I've seen a 'Music Video'. I thought those were on the Endangered Species list since the 90's

You should see Zappa's (I forget the acutal artist's name) claymation. City of Tiny Lights (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9otVXZv-2U4)

Hehe...Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit video launched something, didn't it? Haha, that's such a funny video looking at it in hindsight.

Ted_Stryker
2007-01-30, 04:09 PM
Sabotage by The Beastie Boys and March of the Pigs by NIN would have to be my favorites. Both extremely funny videos in their own ways.

tape_measure
2007-01-30, 04:21 PM
You should see Zappa's (I forget the acutal artist's name) claymation. City of Tiny Lights (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9otVXZv-2U4)

Hehe...Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit video launched something, didn't it? Haha, that's such a funny video looking at it in hindsight.

Which part, the dancing Anarchy Cheerleaders or the dancing Janitor. Both are pretty funny if you ask me.

Wow for some reason I can still see that video in my head, even thoug it's what...12 years old? maybe longer...

I seem to recall a video that had Kurt hanging by a chandelier, but I can't remember the damn song....

Ted_Stryker
2007-01-30, 04:27 PM
Wow for some reason I can still see that video in my head, even thoug it's what...12 years old? maybe longer...
Try 15. Nevermind was released in the Fall of 1991.

tape_measure
2007-01-30, 04:32 PM
wow...I wonder how music would have turned out if people liek Kurt Cobain, Jimmie Guy-from-smashing-pumpkins, Laine Staley, etc were still about. hell eve futher back to Jimmi Hendrix, janis Joplina nd Jim Morrison. Can you image what type of music videos those kids would have had?

oh, and Amotis, Frank Zappa's video = The things Nightmares are made of.

Dr._Weird
2007-01-30, 04:33 PM
I saw a video for PM5K's Wild World a little while ago. I threw up in my mouth a little. That band used to be good... :smallfrown:

A while ago a friend showed me the video to Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up. I couldn't finish watching it, it was just brutal. Don't watch this video.

Felix Da Housecat's song Silver Screen had a pretty wacked out music video.

Amotis
2007-01-30, 04:35 PM
Jimmie guy? Huh? Billy Corgan was the lead singer. I think everyone else is alive still except the drummer...or maybe I just forgot who he was working with.

Layne is wonderful...I adore his voice. It's sexy and angry at the same time. Wonderful.

Oh! A good video is Aphex Twin's Windowlicker. I would post it...but yeah...

Don Julio Anejo
2007-01-30, 04:48 PM
Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous and Rihanna - SOS.

SDF
2007-01-30, 04:48 PM
Jimmy Chamberlin was the drummer for the Smashing Pumpkins, but he just released a solo album. Everyone that was ever in TSP is still alive. I do like their music video for Tonight, Tonight in fact all their videos are fun and whimsical or just gothy and weird.

Amotis
2007-01-30, 04:52 PM
Ah, that's why I didn't know the name. Was he the first or second drummer?

I don't really like Smashing Pumpkins. They had maybe a total of 12 good songs in all of their like 20 albums.

SDF
2007-01-30, 04:55 PM
Yeah, he was the first drummer. I hope the new album is better than the Machina albums, but I doubt they are going to get James Iha to quit A Perfect Circle.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-01-30, 04:57 PM
So now to toss in the raving pop icon fan video. OK Go, "Here We Go Again" and "A Million Ways". Yes, I know that are deplorable because everyone and their grandma loves them, but they amuse me. Also, "Wizard Needs Food Badly" by Five Iron Frenzy is good.

Amotis
2007-01-31, 11:40 AM
Yeah, he was the first drummer. I hope the new album is better than the Machina albums, but I doubt they are going to get James Iha to quit A Perfect Circle.

APC is no longer I think. He's with Vanessa and the O's right now I think.
I doubt their new album/tour is gonna be good. I just think nothing good is gonna come from them anymore.

Deaddude
2007-01-31, 12:08 PM
Ya, that music video is awesome. I also like the Tribute (Tenacious D) music video.

Yay. My Favorites too! But out of the 2 I gotta pick Wonderboy!

Andiamo
2007-02-01, 02:09 PM
Ready to Fall by Rise Against. The unedited version. I love it.

Sic Transit Gloria... Glory Fades by Brand New. Amazing. The ending is crazy.

Revolution by Authority Zero. It's just crazy, I love it.

The 8th Sin
2007-02-01, 03:31 PM
Three Days Grace had an eerie one for "Pain"

FdL
2007-02-01, 06:10 PM
Music videos are ok, but most of the time don't have anything to do wih the music. Actually, they are commercials for the songs.

I hate it when they take a song for promotion and the video ends up having nothing to do with the band or the song, being just an idea that the director wanted to do.

But besides that there's always nice videos to watch. It's just that I don't have as high expectations for videos of songs I like as I had when I was younger. In fact, to me the perfect video is one in which you can see the band performing the song. That's why I like the video for "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" by Arctic Monkeys. What you see there is the music, and it's a mindblowing performance full of energy.

Ted_Stryker
2007-02-02, 08:09 PM
In fact, to me the perfect video is one in which you can see the band performing the song.
The March of the Pigs video has this element. :smallbiggrin:

FdL
2007-02-03, 12:24 AM
Good example, because in that particular case watching the video makes the song better, completes it instead of relegating it to background music to some director's whims.

Amotis
2007-02-03, 12:33 AM
Hmm...your train of thought got me thinking. What is a good music video that balances both of those things and still makes it a music video?

...hmmm. I know some of the electronic bands out there, like The Knife, make videos that most certainly go along with their music. But then again it's more random/feeling/colortomusic -ish then anything.

Dhavaer
2007-02-03, 12:37 AM
The song's not great, but the video for Larger than Life is awesome. Yay for space battles!

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-03, 12:40 AM
Not Unlike The Waves by Agalloch. It has the band playing the song, is rather related to the songs subject and is overall an incredible video. Rock the B rate horror movie vibe.

Now, if only they hadn't butchered the song to do it. It is still good, but the original song is better. The band was really opposed to having the song cut down for the video

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-03, 10:10 PM
Never really seen alot of music videos, but my sister just showed me a really cool one.

"Savin Me" by Nickelback.

Archonic Energy
2007-02-03, 10:24 PM
if i say "Hit me baby one more time" will i get shot?
tho it's better on mute.

serously "Coffee & TV" - Blur

those little milk cartons make me smile.

FdL
2007-02-04, 02:18 AM
Memorable videos like Cibo Mato's "Sugar Water" are often a case of the video being unrelated to the music but cool to watch.

ElfLad
2007-02-04, 02:23 AM
White and Nerdy. I'm ashamed that the rest of you haven't mentioned this.

Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan. Classic.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-04, 02:25 AM
I really like the video for Hell Bent (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq-6RgMtkdU) by Kenna, which itself is a cut from the short film More (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtUS1pDMOQ) which features the song Elegia by New Order
I watched that from your MySpace today.:smallconfused: *shiver* Gave me a really weird feeling.

Never really seen alot of music videos, but my sister just showed me a really cool one.

"Savin Me" by Nickelback.
Mmm, don't like Nickelback, but that was sort of cool.

SDF
2007-02-04, 10:01 AM
Music videos are ok, but most of the time don't have anything to do wih the music. Actually, they are commercials for the songs.

I hate it when they take a song for promotion and the video ends up having nothing to do with the band or the song, being just an idea that the director wanted to do.

But besides that there's always nice videos to watch. It's just that I don't have as high expectations for videos of songs I like as I had when I was younger. In fact, to me the perfect video is one in which you can see the band performing the song. That's why I like the video for "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" by Arctic Monkeys. What you see there is the music, and it's a mindblowing performance full of energy.

I've never seen the music video as an extension of the song itself, rather as an extension of the art form. If all videos were just a mirror for the song, or the band standing and playing the song I wouldn't watch them. If I want to see the band playing the song I try and see them live.

I watched that from your MySpace today.:smallconfused: *shiver* Gave me a really weird feeling.

Yes, I feel it has a very industrial dystopian feel to it. Showing how the main character works a cubical type job (or in this case an assembly line job) and goes home to his dank apartment everyday repeating the same monotony, but he has a creativity inside him. When his dream is realized instead of making the world happier the way he envisioned he perpetuates the society becoming what he hates and losing his creative part of himself.

I agree, never a big Nickelback fan, but I do like that video.

twerk_face
2007-02-04, 10:02 AM

hahahaha wonderboy is the most bizarre and awsome music video on earth.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-04, 01:53 PM
I wish more bands would make better use of music videos.:smallyuk:

Yes, I feel it has a very industrial dystopian feel to it. Showing how the main character works a cubical type job (or in this case an assembly line job) and goes home to his dank apartment everyday repeating the same monotony, but he has a creativity inside him. When his dream is realized instead of making the world happier the way he envisioned he perpetuates the society becoming what he hates and losing his creative part of himself.
Aye. They did a good job getting the industrial feeling across.

Allandaros
2007-02-04, 04:03 PM
Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi. Zombies? Good music video. Cheerleader zombies? EVEN BETTER.

FdL
2007-02-04, 05:57 PM
White and Nerdy. I'm ashamed that the rest of you haven't mentioned this.

Subterranean Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan. Classic.

Really! That's like the father of all video clips. At least the known father of a couple of videos among which is one by INXS :p

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-04, 06:09 PM
Scatman - Scatman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz4ja-WTogQ&mode=related&search=)

Cranberries - Zombie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDG56Xq4JFQ&mode=related&search=)

Amotis
2007-02-04, 06:48 PM
Really! That's like the father of all video clips. At least the known father of a couple of videos among which is one by INXS :p

Hehe yeah I remember seeing that. Oh, I think Wierd Al did a Bob Dylan tribute Subterranian style. :smalltongue:

Ego Slayer
2007-02-04, 07:02 PM
Hehe yeah I remember seeing that. Oh, I think Wierd Al did a Bob Dylan tribute Subterranian style. :smalltongue:
BEHOLD! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_pYYff7qP0)

So. Freakin'. Awesome.:smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-04, 09:54 PM
First time I think I've ever heard the guy. Don't even recall the song, just the video :smallwink:

SDF
2007-02-12, 07:28 PM
I must add the video for Evil by Interpol... weird accident scene with puppets, it's tubular ^_^

Sewer_Bandito
2007-02-12, 07:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0e6LUTjzX0&mode=related&search=

^The most entertaining music video I've ever seen :smallcool: