PDA

View Full Version : Fun Times at Wall Street Party

Surrealistik
2014-02-19, 11:51 AM
{Scrubbed}

Don Julio Anejo
2014-02-19, 04:42 PM
Reading it, seems like a huge invasion of privacy to me, especially considering these guys didn't do anything any other random group of guys does when they get together and start drinking (well, except the getting in drag part).

And foie gras is a mainstream dish in France served in little bistros pretty much everywhere, so I don't know what his problem with it is, other than it's good and takes skill to make.

Zrak
2014-02-19, 04:48 PM
You obviously hang out with different guys than I do. :smallwink:

Foie gras is generally associated with wealth in America because it tends to be considerably more expensive over here than it is in France. It's seen as the same sort of class signifier as, say, caviar. Yeah, that's not an entirely fair or accurate presentation, but I don't know anybody on food stamps buying foie gras.

Don Julio Anejo
2014-02-19, 04:59 PM
The main issue is a complete lack of food culture in the US. Anything more complex than some fried beef or sausage is seen as "fancy food for the rich."

If I had to guess, people living on food stamps would buy best tasting super things they can get their hands on, which would be... over-processed food or things like beans/pasta. But nothing is really preventing middle class people from buying/making it. The few places I've seen it here (Canada), it's certainly no more expensive than a typical steak, except for some unknown reason the culture almost prohibits people from eating it.

Emperor Ing
2014-02-19, 05:02 PM
I appreciate his earnest journalism and the light it shed, particularly when this sort of legitimate reporting has become increasingly rare.

Just looking at the first few sentences of the article tells me you and me clearly have vastly different standards as to what is "earnest" and "legitimate" journalism and reporting :smalltongue:

TaiLiu
2014-02-19, 05:16 PM
Just looking at the first few sentences of the article tells me you and me clearly have vastly different standards as to what is "earnest" and "legitimate" journalism and reporting :smalltongue:
I don't see it; could you elaborate?

Surrealistik
2014-02-19, 05:21 PM
Reading it, seems like a huge invasion of privacy to me, especially considering these guys didn't do anything any other random group of guys does when they get together and start drinking (well, except the getting in drag part).

And foie gras is a mainstream dish in France served in little bistros pretty much everywhere, so I don't know what his problem with it is, other than it's good and takes skill to make.

The issue was not so much 'boys being boys' as the nature of some of their 'humour' given the context, and who these people were; hell, a lot of the things they said I can take or leave and are harmless enough, others less so. Would rather avoid elaborating due to the no-politics rule.

And yes, foie gras per Zrak definitely has connotations of wealth in the US per its zeitgeist/culture, whether or not that's warranted. The author didn't have any specific issue with the dish; he was dropping it as a pertinent symbol of decadence/conspicuous consumption.

Iruka
2014-02-19, 05:29 PM
The few places I've seen it here (Canada), it's certainly no more expensive than a typical steak, except for some unknown reason the culture almost prohibits people from eating it.

Foie gras is often frowned upon because its production necessarily involves animal abuse. That's why its production (though not import or sale) is forbidden in many european countries. Of course, one could argue that the average animal in mass meat production doesn't have it any better ...

Emperor Ing
2014-02-19, 05:32 PM
I don't see it; could you elaborate?

The first sentence should alone make my point. They're financial chieftains, a term any good yellow journalist wouldn't use unless they wanted to evoke the image of tribals and savages while simultaneously identifying them as leaders. Leaders of a tribe, in other words. Then there is the use of the phrase "feeling a little unloved." That is also deliberate in setting up a sentiment that these leaders of savage tribes have expectations about the love and respect they feel they deserve.

With this condescending and demeaning tone established, Mr. Roose, the author lists off several grievances made by several people without explaining any of them as if to have their claims dismissed off-hand without even so much as basic inquiry (you know, like what actual journalists are supposed to do.)

This is just the first two sentences by the way. The second paragraph tells me that I should hate financial tycoons or else i'm not in line with the rest of the country. So no, I don't think this is "legitimate" or "earnest" journalism. I don't even know if it's journalism. I don't know what it is but I don't think Mr. Roose had good intentions when he originally crashed the party two years ago, as he says in the second paragraph, and why he sat on the story for so frickin' long.

Tebryn
2014-02-19, 05:46 PM
The main issue is a complete lack of food culture in the US. Anything more complex than some fried beef or sausage is seen as "fancy food for the rich."

If I had to guess, people living on food stamps would buy best tasting super things they can get their hands on, which would be... over-processed food or things like beans/pasta. But nothing is really preventing middle class people from buying/making it. The few places I've seen it here (Canada), it's certainly no more expensive than a typical steak, except for some unknown reason the culture almost prohibits people from eating it.

Then you don't know much about the U.S food culture which is a shame because you're missing out on some great food. As for the rest...I don't even know where to start or finish.

TaiLiu
2014-02-19, 05:46 PM
The first sentence should alone make my point. They're financial chieftains, a term any good yellow journalist wouldn't use unless they wanted to evoke the image of tribals and savages while simultaneously identifying them as leaders. Leaders of a tribe, in other words. Then there is the use of the phrase "feeling a little unloved." That is also deliberate in setting up a sentiment that these leaders of savage tribes have expectations about the love and respect they feel they deserve.

With this condescending and demeaning tone established, Mr. Roose, the author lists off several grievances made by several people without explaining any of them as if to have their claims dismissed off-hand without even so much as basic inquiry (you know, like what actual journalists are supposed to do.)

This is just the first two sentences by the way. The second paragraph tells me that I should hate financial tycoons or else i'm not in line with the rest of the country. So no, I don't think this is "legitimate" or "earnest" journalism. I don't even know if it's journalism. I don't know what it is but I don't think Mr. Roose had good intentions when he originally crashed the party two years ago, as he says in the second paragraph, and why he sat on the story for so frickin' long.
I see. The objectivity of the article is in question, then.

Surrealistik
2014-02-19, 05:53 PM
The editorialization of the piece is obvious; no one's going to claim that Kevin is being impartial (to be honest, after experiencing that, it's hard to blame him), though to his credit, he does source much of his implicit derision and claims with facts and quotations, including pertinent links.

However, the happenings he disclosed, the meat and substance of the article, are factual and independent of his political leanings.

Zrak
2014-02-19, 06:04 PM
As someone who lives here, I would disagree.

The few places I've seen it here (Canada), it's certainly no more expensive than a typical steak, except for some unknown reason the culture almost prohibits people from eating it.

I've been a vegetarian for way too long to comment on its actual price, but it's perceived as being more expensive. Part of that probably is that foie gras isn't typical American cuisine, so restaurants which serve it and stores that carry it tend to be more expensive than the baseline restaurant or store which serves or sell steak. Part of it is probably that the price of foie gras is artificially inflated to cash in on the fact that it's seen as a luxury item and thus people will pay more for it than steak if they can afford it. Regardless, the point is that foie gras isn't exactly beans-and-greens.

GoblinArchmage
2014-02-19, 06:14 PM
Spoilered for being graphic:

What I want to know is whether or not they snorted cocaine out of prostitutes' anuses at this party. I must know the answer to this.

TaiLiu
2014-02-19, 06:25 PM
Spoilered for being graphic:

What I want to know is whether or not they snorted cocaine out of prostitutes' anuses at this party. I must know the answer to this.
You could contact the writer and ask.

Mauve Shirt
2014-02-19, 06:43 PM
Foie gras is delicious and I can't fault anyone devouring it who can afford it.

Roland St. Jude
2014-02-19, 06:56 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}Sheriff: Real world politics is an inappropriate topic on this forum. Please give it a wide berth.

The main issue is a complete lack of food culture in the US. Anything more complex than some fried beef or sausage is seen as "fancy food for the rich."That's preposterous.