PDA

View Full Version : #946: Death of another major recurring character

Khay
2014-02-19, 12:54 PM
(/EDIT notice: I've edited this post a few times, sorry. :smallredface: If you see quotes below that don't quite line up with what it's saying right now, that's my fault.)

It's a detail that is easy to miss in the sea of the Durkons, but I believe - nay, I know that comic #946 contains information about the fate of another important recurring dwarf.

Consider this: In the panel showing Hel, two dwarves are seen carrying a tray with a rather large goblet on it. One of these dwarves has orange hair, is mostly bald and has slightly darker skin than his pale comrade.

From this overwhelming evidence, we must conclude that the ginger-bearded dwarf is beloved recurring character "Kaboom" Redaxe, one of the two assassins last seen in a flashback in 535 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0535.html). Further proof for this is the fact that comic 946 features so-called "shadows (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0242.html)", an odd phenomenon closely associated with Redaxe and his co-worker.

Now, if you were doubting this (though I'm not sure why you would be :smallconfused: ), you might ask why the dwarf in 946 has lighter skin, or a longer beard. Well, there's probably not much opportunity to get a tan in Hel, so some paling is to be expected. In response to the latter: Clearly, Rich Burlew, founder of the notable OotS trivia repository known as TVTropes, is invoking the Beard of Sorrow (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeardOfSorrow) trope, showing that Redaxe is regretting the decisions that led him to this point, foreshadowing a redemption arc and implying that Redaxe will switch alignments and later rescue the order from Xykon's clutches just in the nick of time.

I'm also gonna claim he was behind the scrying sensor seen earlier in the desert arc, secretly spying on the Order from the afterlife and hoping for their success. You know. While I'm at it.

Silva Stormrage
2014-02-19, 12:55 PM
It's a detail that is easy to miss in the sea of the Durkons, but I believe - nay, I know that comic #946 contains information about the fate of another important recurring dwarf.

Consider this: In the panel showing Hel, two dwarves are seen carrying a tray with a rather large goblet on it. One of these dwarves has orange hair, is mostly bald and has slightly darker skin than his pale comrade.

From this overwhelming evidence, we must conclude that the ginger-bearded dwarf is beloved recurring character "Kaboom" Redaxe, one of the two assassins last seen in a flashback in 535 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0535.html). Further proof for this is the fact that comic 946 features so-called "shadows (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0242.html)", an odd phenomenon closely associated with Redaxe and his co-worker.

Now, if you were doubting this (though I'm not sure why you would be :smallconfused: ), you might ask why the dwarf in 946 has lighter skin, or a longer beard. Well, there's probably not much opportunity to get a tan in Hel, so some paling is to be expected. In response to the latter: Clearly, Rich Burlew, founder of the notable OotS trivia repository known as TVTropes, is invoking the Beard of Sorrow (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BeardOfSorrow) trope, showing that Redaxe is regretting the decisions that led him to this point, foreshadowing a redemption arc and implying that Redaxe will switch alignments and later rescue the order from Xykon's clutches just in the nick of time.

This post may not be wholly serious.

Is it sad that I got to the end of this post thinking you were 100% serious. I think there is too much random speculation/crazy theories on this board and I have gotten jaded :smalltongue:

Khay
2014-02-19, 12:58 PM
Is it sad that I got to the end of this post thinking you were 100% serious. I think there is too much random speculation/crazy theories on this board and I have gotten jaded :smalltongue:

It's surprisingly difficult to come up with something that's too crazy for these boards.

Emanick
2014-02-19, 12:59 PM
I'm also gonna claim he was behind the scrying sensor seen earlier in the desert arc, secretly spying on the Order from the afterlife and hoping for their success.

This seems like a bit of a stretch. Do we even have any evidence that he's a spellcaster? :smallconfused:

Khay
2014-02-19, 01:02 PM
This seems like a bit of a stretch. Do we even have any evidence that he's a spellcaster? :smallconfused:

His pale goblet-carrying buddy probably is an arcane spellcaster. I mean, come on - there's no way dwarven arcane spellcasters are considered "honourable".

Keltest
2014-02-19, 01:29 PM
His pale goblet-carrying buddy probably is an arcane spellcaster. I mean, come on - there's no way dwarven arcane spellcasters are considered "honourable".

even so, Word of Giant is that was Z's scrying sensor.

And anyway, the two dwarves have different skin colors and different beards.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-19, 02:09 PM
You had me until the fourth paragraph. The emoticon killed it. Very funny. :smallwink:

The Pilgrim
2014-02-19, 02:27 PM
Wasn't that guy a Gnome, actually? :smallconfused:

Porthos
2014-02-19, 03:06 PM
This thread is proof once more why blue text ruins everything. :smalltongue:

Nope. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0232.html) :smalltongue:

Ninja
2014-02-19, 05:01 PM
The Global Society for the Preservation of Epileptic Trees would like to formally thank you for your effort in preserving this endangered species.

12owlbears
2014-02-19, 05:01 PM

I always thought he was just a really short human

Ghost Nappa
2014-02-19, 05:05 PM
The Global Society for the Preservation of Epileptic Trees would like to formally thank you for your effort in preserving this endangered species.

Your concerns are now being enforced by the International Organization of Endangered Theories.

Vinyadan
2014-02-19, 05:08 PM
You got me :smallbiggrin: But I'd enjoy it, if it weren't a random guy, but someone we know. Would add depth to Hel's halls.

But I fear that, if Kaboom met his end so early, it must have been a gunpowder and battlefield related incident.

Or, who knows. It could also have been an exceptionally virulent STD. :smalleek:

Keltest
2014-02-19, 05:09 PM
I always thought he was just a really short human

Hes obviously a mutant Giraffe.

Vinyadan
2014-02-19, 05:10 PM
Hes obviously a mutant Giraffe.

Or a heavily templated snail.

Keltest
2014-02-19, 05:13 PM
Or a heavily templated snail.

Nah, snails cant go bald, no matter how many templates they have.

The Giant
2014-02-19, 05:41 PM
Enough with the spoof speculation threads. We get it, OOTS fans sometimes have nutty theories. But it's getting to the point where it's eclipsing real discussion, such as with all the Trigak nonsense in the main discussion thread.

No more "joke" theory threads for a while. Thread locked.