PDA

View Full Version : Relations...

TwentyFold
2014-02-19, 01:40 PM
Elloz,

I have been getting alot of crud from my RP group, mainly because i come up with characters who have little to no relations w/ the rest of the party. Its pretty easy to see why, as i keep making my characters myself as it gives me: 1. More freedom 2. Less bull 3. More creative ideas.

So my DM has come up with an idea that is actually pretty good:

1. All characters will know and/or have relations w/ every member of the party.
2. All Players will try their best to communicate their ideas on characters, relations, background, mechanics, ect. with the rest of the group.
3. We wont all be the opposition party (Ex. Paladin of Pelor and Evil guy who wants to kill pelor ), and all that usual uneeded blurb.

I have definitly agreed w/ the DM, and so i only did the mechanics, and communicated as best i could my characters story and personality. But I got sort of a slap in the face as last session (where i couldnt attend) everyone made HEAVY relationships between all their characters, leaving my character in the corner of unwanted weight. I was pretty upset learning that they went so far as to create heavy relationships without me and that they just decided to make such a strong relationship status that i cant even find a way in, besides them all just hearing about my character as a stray rumor.

Heres their idea:

Shadowcaster - shy, beautiful, bookworm who has a crush on the warblade
(sort of like T.S. everyone has reflected)

Warblade - Tough, mean, badass who is completely clueless to the Shadowcaster's feelings

Wilder - Weak, proud, charismatic who has a secret crush on a certain Shadowcaster... (also bullied by the warblade)

(Good ol' loop of fun eh?)

Then there is my character:

Druid - Exciting, wild, and curious chick who has strange ties to the swampy forests surrounding the village where the starting village lives

To flesh out how the story is starting:

All Characters are young (15-18), and must perform a ritual that demands they survive in the forests surrounding a small village for several days. Then when they return, they will finally be dubbed adults (at least in the eyes of the villagers).

If I could get any help on how i could draw my character into this group relationship, please and thank you. Also if there is anything confusing, I am sorry, I dont write reports very well XD.

Thanks for the Help
TwentyFold8

Telonius
2014-02-19, 01:50 PM
This (http://shakespeare.mit.edu/midsummer/full.html) might help. :smallbiggrin:

A little more seriously, to complete the love quadrangle, you might offer some "help" to one or the other of the characters in attracting the attention of the object of their affections. (Viewing pretty much any romantic comedy produced in the 1980s will probably give you some ideas on how to go about this). However, in working so closely with one of them, your character starts to develop feelings for them.

TwentyFold
2014-02-19, 01:54 PM
This (http://shakespeare.mit.edu/midsummer/full.html) might help. :smallbiggrin:

A little more seriously, to complete the love quadrangle, you might offer some "help" to one or the other of the characters in attracting the attention of the object of their affections. (Viewing pretty much any romantic comedy produced in the 1980s will probably give you some ideas on how to go about this). However, in working so closely with one of them, your character starts to develop feelings for them.

Ill do that, though the time factor is probably gonna be the real challenge.

Swaoeaeieu
2014-02-19, 02:02 PM
inter party connections don't have to be on the romantic scale right?
you could be a neighbor, chilhood friend, helpfull forest dweller, creepy uncle or anything else.

just look at you real life friends, a social group is never only connected because of romance. And if you all grew up in a small village does that not give you a good reason to stick together? because the village always help the village and that sort?

TwentyFold
2014-02-19, 02:06 PM
inter party connections don't have to be on the romantic scale right?
you could be a neighbor, chilhood friend, helpfull forest dweller, creepy uncle or anything else.

just look at you real life friends, a social group is never only connected because of romance. And if you all grew up in a small village does that not give you a good reason to stick together? because the village always help the village and that sort?

I know that there doesnt have to be literal Relationships, and in fact it could be just that, but so far its been pretty down in the dumps for such ideas, mainly because my character doesnt actually live inside the village, nor does anyone really go into the forest much. Makes me sad :smallfrown:

Also to add on to the main post, the player for the wilder keeps refusing to work with me at all, only saying he saw me once, but didnt interact...

Karoht
2014-02-19, 02:26 PM
I was setting up to do a similar campaign, where all the characters are part of the same Holy Order, dedicated to fighting evil. It's one of those campaigns where everything is probably going to run on tropes, but sometimes the tropes are fun and can hold the party together without forcing them onto extremely rigid rails. Especially when everyone knows what they are in for from the get go and can plan accordingly.

Swaoeaeieu
2014-02-19, 04:31 PM
you did not grow up with them but saw one of em once.
perfect!

after your life in the forest you finally met another person! how fasinating (sp?) and exciting. You can just follow them around from the moment they enter the/your forest and bugger them with enthousiastic questions about village life.

make the wilder your main point of attention because he was the first person you ever saw.

he does not want to work with you on this. but your pc is fun and enthousiasic, so just spam him with attention. somehow Penny from rwby comes to mind but i can't find a relevant clip

Urpriest
2014-02-19, 04:38 PM
You're from the same village, and you're the highest-Wis member of the party...

Maybe you're either the Shadowcaster's big sister, or her friend who acts like her big sister. To you, the whole love triangle is painfully obvious, but you don't think the Shadowcaster will take your advice so you've stayed out of it for now.

Segev
2014-02-19, 05:09 PM
Can they change their backstories to have a friend they saw every week or so when they took an excursion into the woods for a camping trip?

Be the childhood friend who isn't really a romantic interest, at least at first. Choose either to be wholly aware of their triangle, or wholly oblivious.

Since Druids are Wis-based, I'd go for the former, and have your character act to defuse tense situations, and push them to share without ever actually saying it outright (since it's THEIR relationship). Be a little exasperated when they "fail to notice" or otherwise act silly, in your wise character's opinion.

veti
2014-02-19, 05:31 PM
In the setup you describe, there is an absolutely screaming vacancy as "Shadowcaster's best friend". She's definitely going to need one of those, badly.

The other two might resent you, or they may try to use you as a way of getting to her, but if they ignore you they're not doing themselves any favours.

Zweisteine
2014-02-19, 06:52 PM
In the setup you describe, there is an absolutely screaming vacancy as "Shadowcaster's best friend". She's definitely going to need one of those, badly.

The other two might resent you, or they may try to use you as a way of getting to her, but if they ignore you they're not doing themselves any favours.

This sounds good to me, at least.

Maybe being friend to the shadowcaster, and trying to protect the wilder from the warblade's bullying, which could cause some interest friction in the relationship with the shadowcaster.

TwentyFold
2014-02-20, 02:52 AM
you did not grow up with them but saw one of em once.
perfect!

after your life in the forest you finally met another person! how fasinating (sp?) and exciting. You can just follow them around from the moment they enter the/your forest and bugger them with enthousiastic questions about village life.

make the wilder your main point of attention because he was the first person you ever saw.

he does not want to work with you on this. but your pc is fun and enthousiasic, so just spam him with attention. somehow Penny from rwby comes to mind but i can't find a relevant clip

You're from the same village, and you're the highest-Wis member of the party...

Maybe you're either the Shadowcaster's big sister, or her friend who acts like her big sister. To you, the whole love triangle is painfully obvious, but you don't think the Shadowcaster will take your advice so you've stayed out of it for now.

Sorry, shouldve continued on my explination: My character had some ties w/ the fey in the nearby forest until about a year or so ago she was abruptly shunned away (except by one, who is a pervert...) and thats when she mainly started to come to the village, while before that she was mainly just a mysterious girl in the woods who rarely showed herself. Also the reason she started to come to the village was mainly to actually survive, as the most plentiful parts of the forests were either barred from her or were infested w/ really mean kobold squads w/ heavy crossbows. But i will still talk w/ the group asap on this idea, as well as others.

Can they change their backstories to have a friend they saw every week or so when they took an excursion into the woods for a camping trip?

Be the childhood friend who isn't really a romantic interest, at least at first. Choose either to be wholly aware of their triangle, or wholly oblivious.

Since Druids are Wis-based, I'd go for the former, and have your character act to defuse tense situations, and push them to share without ever actually saying it outright (since it's THEIR relationship). Be a little exasperated when they "fail to notice" or otherwise act silly, in your wise character's opinion.

DM saw this and actually said this would be the best idea, and for that i will think on this really well.

Probably all true, especially since the player of the wilder character already resents me XD, so i will talk to the player of the shadow caster on this recurring thought.

This sounds good to me, at least.

Maybe being friend to the shadowcaster, and trying to protect the wilder from the warblade's bullying, which could cause some interest friction in the relationship with the shadowcaster.

Got it.

maniacalmojo
2014-02-20, 03:37 AM
get a crush on the wilder and have the warblade get a crush on you then you would have a funny love square where everyone dies at the end.

Drachasor
2014-02-20, 03:40 AM
get a crush on the wilder and have the warblade get a crush on you then you would have a funny love square where everyone dies at the end.

"Love is Triangle, not a Square."

I got a fortune cookie that said that. So keep it in mind.

Silentone98
2014-02-20, 03:51 AM
them cookies aside *cough*

I feel kinda bad for you, and umm,... your party members sound kinda jerkish to make this difficult lol.

But if everyone needs to pass this forest thing, you being a druid means their absolute best chance of succeeding. You are the leader where 'ever nature is concerned.

heck, you could even go as far as bribing your DM to work in a situation that forces them to absolutely need you and only you. (He may even work with you with no bribe, given the circumstance)
this opens plenty of opportunity

lytokk
2014-02-20, 09:37 AM

I feel kinda bad for you, and umm,... your party members sound kinda jerkish to make this difficult lol.

But if everyone needs to pass this forest thing, you being a druid means their absolute best chance of succeeding. You are the leader where 'ever nature is concerned.

heck, you could even go as far as bribing your DM to work in a situation that forces them to absolutely need you and only you. (He may even work with you with no bribe, given the circumstance)

Honestly, I have to agree with this sentiment. The DM is requiring all of the characters to know and have a relationship with with every other party member. Now, its not clear if relationship means friendship or anything, but based on the warblade bullying I would just say some sort of relationship. If all of the other players decided their relations, but none of them are willing to work with you for anything, even though the DM requires it, then yeah, the other players are being more than slightly jerkish.

So, if no one works with you, then I'd second working with the DM to make sure you can help them all survive in the forest. You're a druid after all and prb the best suited to wilderness survival out of the group.

If no one is willing to work with you, if I was in you shoes, I'd stand up, thank everyone for their time, let them know that the situation was created where you could not play in this group, and leave. But, that's me.

Urpriest
2014-02-20, 11:41 AM

"Love is Triangle, not a Square."

I got a fortune cookie that said that. So keep it in mind.

Actually, that description is more of a love tetrahedron. Which should be fine, after all, a tetrahedron is just a 3d generalization of a triangle.

Love simplices are the simplest possible expression of love geometry. :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2014-02-20, 01:12 PM
So... The party are all shtupping one another or related to one another or both? :smallconfused:

TwentyFold
2014-02-20, 01:44 PM
That would be pretty hilarious XD, also the death at the end, so classic.

Definitely gonna ask, and no need for pity, they are normally like that XD.

Honestly, I have to agree with this sentiment. The DM is requiring all of the characters to know and have a relationship with with every other party member. Now, its not clear if relationship means friendship or anything, but based on the warblade bullying I would just say some sort of relationship. If all of the other players decided their relations, but none of them are willing to work with you for anything, even though the DM requires it, then yeah, the other players are being more than slightly jerkish.

So, if no one works with you, then I'd second working with the DM to make sure you can help them all survive in the forest. You're a druid after all and prb the best suited to wilderness survival out of the group.

If no one is willing to work with you, if I was in you shoes, I'd stand up, thank everyone for their time, let them know that the situation was created where you could not play in this group, and leave. But, that's me.

The survival part actually was told to my by my DM, but when i heard the hint of meh in his speech i got sort of off of it, especially since i would actually like to have a relationship to shut up my DM, mainly because several of my before characters were the loners or whatnot, and didnt begin even knowing anyone (or at least noticed the others once or twice). Also if i just left, i would be a sad guy, especially since i sorta rely on these guys for entertainment, its just sometimes it can get pretty merp.

So... The party are all shtupping one another or related to one another or both? :smallconfused:

Well we all started as just needing to be friends, then when they all got together w/out me they made the relationships that went beyond. I dont think i could really enter into this relationship thing, so i sorta like the quote from earlier to actually become sorta the weird guy that breaks up tension, but the problem is that i am not very good at that (especially since i dont really get loud enough to really get attention at D&D, or even know how to enter into many of their probably weirder converse). So i guess i gotta now ask this:
Any ideas that you like so far, that you can give tips on roleplaying at?

Zweisteine
2014-02-20, 01:54 PM
If you really want to create tension, you could try for this:
You are in a romantic relationship with the Warblade (makes for tricky player interactions, though), so the shadowcaster is jealous of you. You also want to protect the wilder, but he doesn't like you because you're with the Warblade. That leads to a rivalry with the shadowcaster, a weird protect/hate relationship with the wilder, and a very unusual, clichéd relationship with the Warblade, as you fight over his bullying of the wilder.
This also works if you have an unrequited crush on the Warblade, and he is aware of it, and tries to be mean and use it to his advantage.

You could also try to be a quiet mediator. This works especially well f the shadowcaster's player can be convinced to try to protect the wilder (makes more mediation necessary). It also helps to get the other players to play along (i.e. their character shut up when yours starts talking, because their quiet voice has some sort of commanding quality to it (when you talk, others want to listen)).

TwentyFold
2014-02-20, 04:30 PM
If you really want to create tension, you could try for this:
You are in a romantic relationship with the Warblade (makes for tricky player interactions, though), so the shadowcaster is jealous of you. You also want to protect the wilder, but he doesn't like you because you're with the Warblade. That leads to a rivalry with the shadowcaster, a weird protect/hate relationship with the wilder, and a very unusual, clichéd relationship with the Warblade, as you fight over his bullying of the wilder.
This also works if you have an unrequited crush on the Warblade, and he is aware of it, and tries to be mean and use it to his advantage.

You could also try to be a quiet mediator. This works especially well f the shadowcaster's player can be convinced to try to protect the wilder (makes more mediation necessary). It also helps to get the other players to play along (i.e. their character shut up when yours starts talking, because their quiet voice has some sort of commanding quality to it (when you talk, others want to listen)).

The mediator sounds like a best for me, especially since i dont see that a breach of their relationship scheme would be in a good ratio of fun and well versed, but instead of something like being a quiet kind of mediator, be a really insane kind of mediator, being sort of the weird guy. But i will have to talk to the rest of the group on these ideas, sound good.