PDA

View Full Version : [PFRPG] EtcR: making Strahd ready

Vallum
2014-02-19, 04:10 PM
Due to story reasons, when the climatic battle commences, we will only have four members and a cohort fighting Strahd. Now, this would make an easy conversion enough, except I fear that, as is, the PCs are going to walk all over him.
This fear is caused by, despite just turning to level 8, our party is getting to be ready as the anti-undead extravaganza that is, "protect the archer paladin and everything evil undead will be destroyed."

Part composition is as follows
Halfling Paladin 7/Fighter 1 focused on archery
Dwarven Cleric 8 focused on spells but not melee
Half-elf Inquisitor 8 all about dropping darkness and using blind fighting feats
a Human Bard, (if he gets cured of his Lycanthropy), with a mad bomber Gnome Alchemist cohort

I would rather have him more like his WW or 2e incarnation, (amazing necromancer, can mix into melee and do some damage, iconic vampire abilities). But I am unsure how I should set the fight up so he doesn't get focused fires before he even has a chance to fire off some spells.

I think if I do keep wizard levels, this is how combat would unfold

Combat Plan

Win initiative with improved initiative and large vampire bonus to dexterity
drop stinking cloud/cloudkill on party
summon undead
launch necromancy themed save or suck/save or die spells when visible, (unless pathfinder vampires can see through it)
keep archer paladin under -cloud- spells so he doesn't die
have 'hero' eventually get out of cloud spells, tussle with undead, survive strahd spells, find the heart of strahd and destroy it for climatic end

Is this a sound plan? Should I rebuild him with a different combat tactic? What undead should he summon? Recommended necromancy spells to use after the cloud spells?

Any help/critiques are appreciated :smallsmile: