PDA

View Full Version : For Funsies: Rate My [PF] Monk!

Elricaltovilla
2014-02-19, 04:33 PM
I'm a little bored, and curious to see how well my optimization skills have progressed of late, so I'm going to leave a link to a mythweavers sheet here of a 16th level Hungry Ghost/Master Of Many Styles Monk.

Kaldar Shadestorm (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=794678)

Pertinent Houserules in effect:

1. Starting Stats: 18 18 16 16 14 14
2. Combine all racial features and abilities of two races (Dwarf and Fetchling, net +2 Dex, +2 Con with racial abilities of both)
3. Kept Stunning Fist in place of punishing kick

He's a backup character for a sidestory in my friend's long running (2+ years) campaign. If he seems high powered, that's because our DM likes it that way (I've sometimes referred to him as the cheese monger, all in good fun of course).

If you want to look at it and give your opinion, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, no biggy :smallbiggrin:

Eldonauran
2014-02-19, 05:33 PM
I have only one nit-pick.

Why didn't you take the Qinggong Monk archetype as well? It stacks with all Monk archetypes and you only swap out what you want. The obvious choice is the slow fall ability. I would recommend dropping that for Barkskin or Scorching ray.

Your character looks like it could use some form of ranged attack, so my vote goes for scorching ray.

Elricaltovilla
2014-02-19, 09:30 PM
I have only one nit-pick.

Why didn't you take the Qinggong Monk archetype as well? It stacks with all Monk archetypes and you only swap out what you want. The obvious choice is the slow fall ability. I would recommend dropping that for Barkskin or Scorching ray.

Your character looks like it could use some form of ranged attack, so my vote goes for scorching ray.

I don't really understand quinggong monk, but you're right, the lack of range is problematic. My big concern is running out of ki, but that's what hungry ghost is for I suppose.

avr
2014-02-19, 09:49 PM
A few ranks in the Fly skill - maybe at the expense of Escape Artist? - would help. You can't usually take 10 in combat and you want +14 to be sure of being able to hover.

Edit: and/or lose some ranks in Climb to raise the Fly skill. Climbing is a backup option only when you can fly.