PDA

View Full Version : Antique DM screen/caddy

ramrod
2014-02-19, 05:15 PM
Hi guys,

I am currently in the process of restoring a 1870s antique writing slope (a box with secret compartments, several flip up lids etc, see the link below for a better idea, has to be seen to understand what I'm on about!). The photos show it laying flat open how it is designed to, but I'm intending on propping with a mod to allow it the lid to stand at 90 degrees, turning it into a DM screen so you cannot see dice rolls etc (or keep it flat to expose them as a player)

http://www.gilai.com/product_356/Victorian-Walnut-Writing-Slope-With-Secret-Drawers

I don't want to just restore it back to what it was, but to be my d and d box. It's oversized and overweight but I must have my trinkets... I have almost finished restoring the external, I have repaired the locking mechanism and made a new key, plus I'm about 40 layers of french polish in and now I'm thinking about the inside.

Has anyone seen anything else done like this so might have some extra inspiration for the inside? At the moment I just have a few cubbies for dice and figures, I have cut one of the slopes so it drops down to make one half of it a really nice dice tray and whilst it is open the top can flip down, revealing my players handbook or DM guide which just fits in perfectly (with some more modifications).

If you have seen something like this done before, links would be awesome. Otherwise, just ideas? :smallsmile:

I'll post some photos up tomorrow, maybe with some mods that people suggest, or just the progress so far.

ramrod
2014-02-20, 08:41 AM
No replies? *sadface*

fishyfishyfishy
2014-02-20, 09:01 AM
I don't have any suggestions. I just wanted too wish you luck. That sounds like a fun and very rewarding project.

Crake
2014-02-20, 09:04 AM
Dude, I'm pretty sure you just blew everyone away. Here you are using real-life skills in a practical way, all we do is overly analyze a tabletop roleplaying game.

BowStreetRunner
2014-02-20, 09:13 AM
I use digital copies of a lot of my books, plus a bunch of electronic tools like heroforge (http://www.nzcomputers.net/heroforge/) and roll20 (http://roll20.net/). So for me the ultimate 'DM Screen' would integrate well with my electronic devices.

ramrod
2014-02-20, 10:57 AM
It has got a nice bit to rest my ipad on for quick referencing :)

Palanan
2014-02-20, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by ramrod
I am currently in the process of restoring a 1870s antique writing slope....

This is amazingly cool. As someone who's done a small bit of woodworking, I really envy your project.

It's hard to suggest much without being able to see it in person, and I doubt I could top your forty layers of polish. My one very basic suggestion would be to pad a couple of sections with foam to protect some of your minis, if you use them.

Definitely post more photos so we can get a better idea of the compartments and configuration. And if you wanted to post dimensions, angles and internal measurements, that would be cool too.

:smalltongue:

ramrod
2014-02-20, 05:45 PM
I do use minis, going to see if I can get some foam to turn one of the compartments into a mini pot.

One thing that I do like about the compartments right at the front of the box is that you can prearrange attack and damage dice, so just scoop em up and roll. Three different sections, ideal for DM ing where you are using multiple mobs :)