PDA

View Full Version : What tier would a Fighter/Expert gestalt be?

Rakaydos
2014-02-19, 06:08 PM
Title is pretty much it- Compared to single classed characters, fighters and experts are both pretty low on the tier list. But by the fighter gaining the Expert's skill ranks and class skills, he gains a little bit more flexibility. (as well as a decent will save)

Question is, would this be enough to push him up a tier? (again, compared to non-gestalt characters)

Psyren
2014-02-19, 06:10 PM
Yes, it would push them up a tier to T4.

Studoku
2014-02-19, 06:14 PM
Just about. Not because of the increased skill points or the good will save but because this character has UMD as a class skill and full BAB.

Actually, the ability to pick any class skills lets this do some neat stuff. Iajutsu focus anyone?

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-19, 06:16 PM
Actually because of the skill points. It gives them some non-combat options, which is nice. The fact that UMD and Iajutsu Focus are options is just golden.

Cicciograna
2014-02-19, 06:16 PM
Just about. Not because of the increased skill points or the good will save but because this character has UMD as a class skill and full BAB.

Actually, the ability to pick any class skills lets this do some neat stuff. Iajutsu focus anyone?

Uh, I think that it's exactly for the other reason.
Tiers aren't about damage output, which a Fighter can, somehow, pump: they are about versatility and options, and having an augmented skillset opens some other door to the poor Fighter.
Besides, UMD is probabily the most important skill the Fighter gets.

EDIT: tristalt Fighter//Expert//Swordsaged!

Thurbane
2014-02-19, 06:42 PM
The skills also give them great access to a wide variety of non-caster PrCs.

In my upcoming game, I'm expanding the Fighter skill list, and giving them 4 skill points/level.

12owlbears
2014-02-19, 06:51 PM
If you ask me it would be a high tier 4 at least maybe even low tier 3 if you know what your doing

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-19, 07:00 PM
Definitely not Tier 3. It is still a nice tier 4, but not 3.

Also my first swordsage... yay!

JaronK
2014-02-19, 07:06 PM
Fighter is already pretty high in T5. Access to decent skills along with the skill points to use them (Diplomacy, UMD, Iaijutsu Focus, and so on) should put them nicely into T4.

JaronK

Zweisteine
2014-02-19, 07:08 PM
Assuming you mean the NPC Expert (as opposed to the generic class), I'd put that in tier 4. It's just giving the fighter a bunch of extra skills and a good will save (which is great). If the expert had skill-related class features, it might be able to reach T3, but most likely not.

My general rule is that a gestalt is tiered where the higher-tiered class is, or one higher, if the other class complements its abilities. Two classes of the same tier will move up one if the abilities don't overlap too much. A barbarian//expert or a rogue//scout would be tier 4, but a barbarian//rogue or rogue//fighter might be tier 3. (Though that is only my opinion.)

limejuicepowder
2014-02-19, 08:08 PM
That actually sounds like a pretty nifty class to play. Change fighter bonus feats to anything rather than their horrible list and the class is probably low t3. 10 skills of choice, 6+int skills, full BaB, lots of bonus feats, 2 good saves. This would make a great chassis for lots of stuff, but especially people who want to model fantasy/comic characters.

Make the 6th level bonus feat a floating feat and the possibilities really open up.

Rakaydos
2014-02-19, 08:47 PM
Make the 6th level bonus feat a floating feat and the possibilities really open up.

Floating feat? if the feats are already from the main list what does "floaing feat" mean?

Thurbane
2014-02-19, 08:58 PM
Floating feat? if the feats are already from the main list what does "floaing feat" mean?
I assume like the Chameleon's floating feat, which can be changed daily.

limejuicepowder
2014-02-19, 09:05 PM
I assume like the Chameleon's floating feat, which can be changed daily.

Exactly. I'd put it at least as high as 6th, just so it's out of range of dips - make it something more unique to the fighter.

Rakaydos
2014-02-19, 09:44 PM
Would you consider the gestalt, with opening up fighter feats and a 6th level (and 12th and 18th level) "floating feat", to be a viable "fighter fix?" Or would it need something similar to the Saga Edition Noble's Wealth Talent, to give it the extra WBL to cover it's weaknesses?