View Full Version : See through lava.

Captnq
2014-02-19, 07:18 PM
Soooooo...

You have a pool of lava.
You cast TROBRIAND’S GLASSEE on it.
Target: One non-magical stone or metal object up to 1 cu. ft. per level
Duration: Permanent
This spell gives the target object the transparency of glass.

Can someone make lava see through?

What happens to the glowing from the lava?

Can you cast dancing lights inside the lava?

If I put the lava in a tube of Riverine, does the riverine transmit the heat?

What color is transparent lava flowing in a tube of riverine?

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-19, 10:37 PM
Soooooo...

You have a pool of lava.
You cast TROBRIAND’S GLASSEE on it.
Target: One non-magical stone or metal object up to 1 cu. ft. per level
Duration: Permanent
This spell gives the target object the transparency of glass.

Can someone make lava see through?

What happens to the glowing from the lava?

Can you cast dancing lights inside the lava?

If I put the lava in a tube of Riverine, does the riverine transmit the heat?

What color is transparent lava flowing in a tube of riverine?

In game terms a liquid does not qualify as an object so no.

ryu
2014-02-19, 10:44 PM

If you cast the spell on solidified rock and proceed to melt it is the the rock still transparent?:smallamused:

Hangwind
2014-02-19, 10:48 PM

I would argue this since liquids can be a material component and the focus of touch spells. IE anything that can be touched would be an object. The trick is that any reference to such an effect is made toward defined amounts of liquid such as a flask or a pool. So, you would have to somehow contain an amount of lava equal to or less than the spell dictates.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-02-20, 01:46 AM

Meh. I would allow it, although the transparent lava would eventually mix with the rest of the lava around it.

Bronk
2014-02-20, 09:55 AM
I'd go the other way... I don't think it would work because the spell specifies 'stone or metal' and lava is its own thing (fiery hot liquid stone), in the same way the game differentiates between water and ice.

Urist
2014-02-20, 10:28 AM
I'd go the other way... I don't think it would work because the spell specifies 'stone or metal' and lava is its own thing (fiery hot liquid stone), in the same way the game differentiates between water and ice.

Lava is actually closer to solid in most conditions. Weird flowy solid, but still solid.

ramrod
2014-02-20, 10:36 AM
Lava would be a solid in a liquid matrix.

But that aside, to avoid the mixing of see through and non see through lava, you would have to isolate a set amount, which would very very quickly become solid rock without the heat of the geothermal source and insulation of it being in a larger body of lava, so all you would accomplish is see through lava for a short period, followed by see through rock. I would guess that lava in a quantity of say a 30cm cube would lose its glow in a few short minutes, but would remain hot-warm to the touch for a good few days.

I could be entirely wrong, but I do have a geology degree and have experienced lava flows first hand to hazard some guesses from a realism perspective (lol?)

Is this just a thought exercise, or is there a purpose to it?

Fax Celestis
2014-02-20, 10:41 AM
Man, that's the wrong way to go about it. Glassee will make anyone able to see through. What you really want is 4 levels in Earth Dreamer to pick up Stone Sight. That way, you can see through "stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal to a range of 30 feet, as easily as if the substance weren't there", but it still obstructs sight for your opponents.

Bronk
2014-02-20, 03:04 PM
Weird flowy solid, but still solid.

Cool, right? Oddly, glass is also a very slow moving fluid...

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-20, 03:13 PM
I think I am verging on pedantic here, but isn't the main reason that lava isn't transparent that it emits so much light? I mean, is lava really orange/red, or isn't that the color of the light emitted by the black-body radiation thingy that I vaguely remember from my physics course?

Basically, even if it were transparent, the light would still be bright enough to obstruct vision. Totally not sure about this, but thought I would toss it out there. The light issue can probably be fixed by virtue of sunglasses or application of a darkness spell or some such.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-20, 04:04 PM
Well, wall of light is an existing spell...

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-20, 04:11 PM
Well, wall of light is an existing spell...

Rules on optics in D&D regularly drive me batty.:smallannoyed:

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-20, 04:31 PM
I think I am verging on pedantic here, but isn't the main reason that lava isn't transparent that it emits so much light? I mean, is lava really orange/red, or isn't that the color of the light emitted by the black-body radiation thingy that I vaguely remember from my physics course?
Maybe but lava is made from rocks which aren't transparent. Water is transparent and when it freezes the reason the ice is not is due to trapped pockets of air and other impurities. If those are removed you get crystal clear ice.

Alabenson
2014-02-20, 04:42 PM
Cool, right? Oddly, glass is also a very slow moving fluid...

Actually, that's just an old myth. Glass is actually perfectly sold, and the reason that windows in colonial homes are sometimes thicker at the bottom is due to how the panes were manufactured.