PDA

View Full Version : Bard/Ranger

Jewish_Joke
2007-01-30, 04:31 AM
I'm revising an old character of mine for 3.5, and I was wondering what prestige class I should take, if any. He's currently sitting pretty as a CG wood elf bard14/ranger8/harper scout2, for a grand total of 24 levels. But seeing as how all current Harper prestige classes stinks like my grandma's medicated foot ointment, I am looking for a new build. I like the bard/ranger mix, and I picked up the Mystic Ranger Variant from Dragon Magazine, so I get more ranger spells per day.

But mechanics mean little without a lil backstory. He's a Harper (obviously), and he has finally outgrown his juvenille one-liner phase. He's taking life more seriously now, and has more active role in the organization than "fetch this, spy that". He's the lead cantor for Everdusk Hall in Silverymoon, (the elven shrine/library). Learning new responsiblities has matured him, and he is more reserved and diplomatic than he was in the past. Fighting style is heavy spellcasting (buffers and enchantments mostly) moderate archery when neccesary, and acrobatic melee (think nightcrawler or nightwing), maintaining use of combat expertise to size up the enemy. The point is, what prestige classes should I look into to enhance this character, or should I just sit tight with the combo I currently have?

Thomas
2007-01-30, 04:44 AM
Harper Scout's no good, but I don't think Harper Paragon is that bad. I mean, it's not very good, but it's not as bad as, say, being a ranger or a bard...

I guess he's seriously one of the Everdusk Harpers, rather than one of Khelben's Moonstars (formed in 1370 DR when he broke off from the Harpers) ? They've got a prestige class in City of Splendors: Waterdeep - 5 levels, all increase one of your existing spellcasting classes, and you get Uncanny Dodge at 5th (and minor abilities at all others).

Darrin
2007-01-30, 08:59 AM
The point is, what prestige classes should I look into to enhance this character, or should I just sit tight with the combo I currently have?

I'd suggest Green Whisperer, 5 levels of double caster progression for Bard/Druid (not entirely sure if Mystic Ranger = Druid, but it might be close enough to be fungible).

Actually, scratch that. Use Green Whisperer to build towards Sublime Chord for a level or two, then Arcane Heirophant to maximize your spellcasting. Switch your elf to a ranger-friendly subrace (wood or wild I think), and try: Mystic Ranger 3/Bard 2/Green Whisperer 5/Sublime Chord 2/Arane Heirophant 8 gives you 9th level arcane spells and maxes out your Mystic Ranger spellcasting.

Hmm. No trackless step, though (need it for AH), and no animal companion. I guess finishing off Sublime Chord or any other prestige class that advances your arcane spellcasting would work just as well.

Person_Man
2007-01-30, 10:29 AM
My two cp:

1) I hate the 3.5 Epic rules. I suggest you make him 20th level, and scale the game accordingly. If you want a truly high power game, play gestalt.

2) Bard and Ranger are an odd mix. What exactly are you going for? A scout with some arcane spell abilities? A wanderer who just sorta picks up knowledge wherever he travels? It's hard for me to give crunch advice when I'm not sure what the OP wants.

3) If you just want plain powerful, Sublime Chord spellcasting from Complete Arcane is a good way to go. Maybe Bard 3/Ranger 2/Harper Agent 5/Sublime Chord 2/Harper Paragon 8, or some combination thereof.