PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a kingdom!

Brendanicus
2014-02-20, 10:32 AM
So playgrounders, I'm building a simple campaign setting and have a spot on the map left over for a kingdom. The general format of my campaign setting is to keep one dominent species ruling over each area ie: a dwarf kingdom, a kobold kingdom, etc.

Anyway, this kingdom is located on the coast between the human, orc, and dwarven lands. Come up with a good race to live there, and I will name the kingdom's ruler after you.

Races used thusfar:

Humans
Elves
Dwarves
Halflings
Gnomes
Kobolds
Drow
Duergar
Dragons
Undead
Lizardfolk
Dromites
Desert Giants
Mind Flayers/other abberations
Yakfolk
Changelings
Merfolk/ other underwater races
Goliaths
An entire island just for druids.
Hengeyokai
Goblins
Hobgoblins
Bugbears
Centaurs
Raptorans
Scorpianfolk
Troglodytes

Thanks for the help!

yougi
2014-02-20, 10:38 AM
Gnolls?
Blues?
Draconians (from Dragonlance)?
Vampires?

Brendanicus
2014-02-20, 10:40 AM
Gnolls?
Blues?
Draconians (from Dragonlance)?
Vampires?
What's a blue? Never heard of them.

Also, it should be a good time to mention that this kingdom should be on the more peaceful, or at least subtle, side, so gnolls probably aren't the best choice.
Sorry if I didn't mention that earlier.

The Oni
2014-02-20, 10:44 AM
Hengeyokai dontchaknow. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/rite-publishing/hengeyokai)

Red Fel
2014-02-20, 10:45 AM
Okay. First off, not enough information.

So let's get down to it.

1. You say that this kingdom is "on the coast." You do not say whether that means it's on the shore, on a high coastal cliff, in a series of grottos and tunnels along the seaside... Not enough info. What kind of coast is it? What kind of resources does it have? Does it have southern exposure? This is the sort of information that will help determine whether it appeals to a given race.

2. You say that this kingdom is "between the human, orc, and dwarven lands." How far between? Are they right next door, days' travel, weeks'? You also mention that these races are present, but not which other races are present in the setting. (My bad, yes you did.)

3. You also haven't mentioned interactions between the nations. Are the human, orc, and dwarf nations at war, with this city caught in the crossfire? Are there any nations that synergize well? Is this coastal nation in a location conducive to naval trade or warfare? Is expansionism the word of the day?

Without knowing what's there, who's there, and how they're all playing together, it's very hard to say that a given race should be introduced into a given place.

That said, lizard-people. Lizard people basking on the beach. Arcane casting lizard-people. Lizard-wizards. Who worship the sun. Because lizards.

Brendanicus
2014-02-20, 10:47 AM
Hengeyokai dontchaknow. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/rite-publishing/hengeyokai)I love it, and I'm putting it in my campaign setting, but I already have an Eastern continent they'd be great in. The kingdom on the northern continent is still up for grabs.

Brendanicus
2014-02-20, 10:54 AM
Okay. First off, not enough information..
Sorry I'm not being more specific, but I don't have any idea yet what the resoures or terrain of this nation are going to be yet. I want a race first, geopolitics second.

The kingdom is adjacent to humans, who are to their north, dwarves to the south, and orcs to the east. Humans, orcs, and dwarves get along ine in this setting. Humans occupy land very similar to Canada and trade in lumber, fish, and what few mineral resources the dwarves don't have. Dwarves trade manufactured goods and minerals and live in mountai . Orcs have very few exportable goods except for corn and, to a much lesser extent, mercenaries. However, their central location in the continent has allowed them to make a bundle through trade tariffs for goods passing through their land. They live in a largely flat, featureless grassland.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

The Oni
2014-02-20, 10:55 AM
In that case, I second lizard-people. Because the idea of a medieval-equivalent resort town populated by lizards is glorious. They don't fight other races because their current holdings give them tourism, port towns and pleasant conditions for sunbathing. The upper-caste of lizard-wizards controls the naturally high reptilian birth rate so that they don't feel the need to expand.

Zytil
2014-02-20, 11:00 AM
Ethergaunts

More seriously, i feel like spellscales deserve a kingdom in every campaign setting they are in, due to them being ridiculously awesome. Also, they qualify as lizard people. Sortof.

Red Fel
2014-02-20, 11:07 AM
Sorry I'm not being more specific, but I don't have any idea yet what the resoures or terrain of this nation are going to be yet. I want a race first, geopolitics second.

The kingdom is adjacent to humans, who are to their north, dwarves to the south, and orcs to the east. Humans, orcs, and dwarves get along ine in this setting. Humans occupy land very similar to Canada and trade in lumber, fish, and what few mineral resources the dwarves don't have. Dwarves trade manufactured goods and minerals and live in mountai . Orcs have very few exportable goods except for corn and, to a much lesser extent, mercenaries. However, their central location in the continent has allowed them to make a bundle through trade tariffs for goods passing through their land. They live in a largely flat, featureless grassland.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

Okay.

So if there are humans to the north, dwarves to the south, and orcs to the east, this puts the coast to the west, correct? Facing the sunset. That means this village gets lots of afternoon sun, which is perfect for Siesta-burg.

Given that the humans to the north trade in fish, this means either than (a) they have access to coastal waters, meaning that their land is low-lying, or (b) they have access to rivers that flow to the coast, which says nothing about their altitude. Given that the dwarves to the south live in the mountains, this means that the land rises along the coast into more rocky regions. Either (a) that rise is sudden and sharp, breaking up the beach, or (b) that rise is gradual, and the dwarves are distant.

So let's put what we know together. We don't know whether this seaside kingdom is high up or low down. We do know that the altitude is high up further south. We do know that it's surrounded by peaceful, reasonably prosperous nations.

In that case, I second lizard-people. Because the idea of a medieval-equivalent resort town populated by lizards is glorious. They don't fight other races because their current holdings give them tourism, port towns and pleasant conditions for sunbathing. The upper-caste of lizard-wizards controls the naturally high reptilian birth rate so that they don't feel the need to expand.

I agree. Assuming that this is a beach-front town, it's the perfect place for wealthy nobles of all stripes to escape to their comfortable seaside villas. The presence of orcs to the east guarantees them protection, the humans to the north and dwarves to the south guarantee them delicious fish and abundant building materials.

The reptilian race is a problem, given that Lizardfolk are already a thing in the setting. Solution? Dragonborn. Re-fluff them a bit, make them a proper race instead of a template, distance them from their deity (maybe just use Half-dragon or something like that, come to think of it). EDIT: Or spellscales! Good catch, Zy!

You now have a race of noble reptilians, in proud, beach-front castles, making mad loot hand over fist by collecting land taxes from nobles in their beachfront villas.

Further, because these are dragons we're talking about, some may prefer to dwell in the more mountainous parts of the shore as it moves south. That's perfect, because dragons love caves. Build a castle into the side of a mountain, love it, awesome, it works.

Lizard wizard dragon landlords. Rock it.

hemming
2014-02-20, 11:56 AM
My first impulse is centaurs - but somehow centaurs by the sea doesn't feel quite right

How about Hadozee? Can't go wrong with a sentient race of orangutans that love to sail

Brendanicus
2014-02-20, 12:09 PM
In that case, I second lizard-people. Because the idea of a medieval-equivalent resort town populated by lizards is glorious. They don't fight other races because their current holdings give them tourism, port towns and pleasant conditions for sunbathing. The upper-caste of lizard-wizards controls the naturally high reptilian birth rate so that they don't feel the need to expand.Love it. Going to just make a different race dominent in the Lizardfolk area. Maybe make it Troglodytes or something.

What would you like the Lizardfolk King/Queen/President/whatever to be named? The honor is yours, Red Fel.

Red Fel
2014-02-20, 12:56 PM
Love it. Going to just make a different race dominent in the Lizardfolk area. Maybe make it Troglodytes or something.

What would you like the Lizardfolk King/Queen/President/whatever to be named? The honor is yours, Red Fel.

Given the fact that this is a region that does not produce anything on its own, but merely benefits from the desirability of its land, its ruler should assume a pretentious title in an attempt to fit in with the nobles who take up residence there.

Given the inherent silliness of lizard people, he should have an absurd nickname whispered behind his back.

For example, Lord Dandrovilar von Hoosenbratt the Third, Earl of the Sun-Kiss'd Shores, of the House of Fordhurst. Behind his back, Lord Dandy.

Just an example, mind you. I waive my right to name; I'm not always dreadfully creative on that point. Let Smeagle take it if he likes.

Be sure to give him a highly intelligent but servile bureaucratic accountant secretary who basically runs things. It's how these things are done.