PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Druid Plant Options?

Juantanamo
2014-02-20, 10:50 AM
Hey playgrounders! Have had great luck in the past here so here's my question as a DM:

Background:
Low-magic, crapsack world, fairly rookie, low-op (low tier 4 and 5) campaign. The players are being given the option to "manifest" magical powers* or continue as mundanes. This has led to some cool roleplaying and has been fun. With two of the players, I have a pretty clear idea of what to do.

The third I'm struggling a little with. Archery-style survivalist Ranger (clvl 3) with plant-themed background (he talks to them). These three facets are all roleplayed/flavored really well and I want to give him the option to take any of those aspect as his magical hook. When he hits level 4, he will begin to show some magical abilities so that is one option. I'm a big fan of presenting casual players with clear options to choose from, rather than overwhelming them. So as he "manifests" his magical powers (likely at Level 4), I'm considering the following options:

-Let him keep going as a regular ol' ranger, gaining spells exactly as he would have before (simple)
-Let him go Ranger and trade out his magic and go totally mundane (simple and he may choose this)
-Allow early prestige into Arcane Archer, waiving the spell and BAB prerequisite and changing imbue Arrow slightly to balance (he may choose this because it is an elegant, archery-magic path)
-Let him become a DRUID

And the last option is what I'd love advice on. Can a Druid option fit his Plant theme he had going somehow? Are there plant-like animal companions in a supplement I could consider? Midget treant? What are some flavor-y ACFs and options I might consider?

All input appreciated!

* And yes I realize that this may break my setting, in fact I'm really excited to see what they'll do.

Rebel7284
2014-02-20, 10:57 AM
Holt Warden prestige class.

Maybe give the ranger the Mystic Ranger spell progression.

eggynack
2014-02-20, 11:12 AM
Holt Warden prestige class.

Dipping into that is a pretty classy move, even without subsequent contemplative stuff, cause you can spontaneously convert the extra spells. There's also greenbound summoning (LEoF, 8), but, y'know, I know you said that you wanted the world to break in half, but greenbound might be going a bit far. Another option is initiate of nature (PGtF, 81), which lets you rebuke and command plants (and animals), and adds some thematically appropriate spells to your list. Past that, I think it's mostly about the spells though. It might be worth using enhance wild shape (SpC, 82) to get access to plant forms at 7th level, but I'm mostly thinking stuff like entangle, plant growth, kelpstrand (SpC, 128), and vine mine (SpC, 230), which all make for pretty powerful spells. The druid list definitely has most of the good plant spells, so it's the way to go for that sort of thing.

Urpriest
2014-02-20, 11:37 AM
If you're just planning on giving the characters random abilities, why not give the guy a Plant Companion (from a Dragon issue, don't remember which off the top of my head) as a Druid of their character level?

Haldir
2014-02-20, 01:47 PM
Give him the option to grow plant equipment that he breeds for specific effects. Rangers are pretty gear dependent as a class.

If he can stomach being a prepared caster and you can get yourself access to Mystic Ranger, do it. Load his list with plant spells, reflavor Summon Nature's Ally to create plant creatures, which shouldn't be too terribly difficult for a talented DM.

Nihilarian
2014-02-20, 01:53 PM
Greenbound Summoning turns animals that he summons into plants, I think.

Juantanamo
2014-02-20, 01:56 PM
Cool. I had missed Complete Champion's offerings. Right next to Holt Warden is that Forest Reeve which is worth looking at too. Oh and look... page 50 has "give up your Ranger spellcasting" as an ACF. So that justifies one of the options straight up!

If he ends up with a companion (either way) I'll make up a plant companion as you guys have suggested as an option. Makin' up stuff: a tried and true DM tradition since time immemorial.

Thanks all.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-20, 02:00 PM
I would also look at using the plant grafts from Magic of Eberron. You can skip the whole grafting process if you want and just have them spontaneously manifest, docking his wealth by taking it straight from effective treasure before they pick it up.