PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Heroic Artifact

Gabe
2014-02-20, 11:24 AM
Hey guys, I'm DMing a game and my PC's are currently about lvl 6/7. I'm planning a dungeon run for them to retriecve a shattered relic of pelor in what used to be a paladin stronghold. Due to unknown reasons the paladin was controlled into slaughtering the majority of the villagers under his protection and also slew all the paladins under his command (He was exceptionally strong to begin with before he was overwhelmed by the lich he fought who basically cast a ritual to make the paladin do this. For the Lich's own amusement, ofc.).

So the PC's will go here and defeat some undead ex-paladins and the head honcho paladin to recover the relic but I want the head-paladins sword to have some special properties. I want to have the sword urge the PC it belongs to to urge them to protect the weak and for the PC to redeem the sword for its past owners heinous crimes.

I'm just wondering how I'd look at actually homebrewing this as an artifact weapon for them? Thanks!

MunkeeGamer
2014-02-20, 12:57 PM
You use the word *artifact* which, to me, implies a higher than average power level. And if you're homebrewing, you're probably okay with messing with the base 4e balance, at least a little. So, my suggestion will be operating under these assumptions.

I would say, the item has at least a little intelligence, since it is driving the player to protect the weak and redeem its evil. The sword itself is good-aligned but is unable to redeem itself. So, the influence should be mostly RP. A burning in the new owner's chest to stand up for the defenseless, to protect the weak.

For mechanics, the sword should have something like a Redemption Meter or Redemption Level. For every act of selfless defense, the sword gains one point and for every ten points it gains one level. Particularly valorous acts, like an oath to protect an ongoing NPC could grant more points, totally DM discretion. Then, every time the player (or the player's party) slays an evil monster or person or apprehends them, the sword gives the wielder temporary HPs equal to the current redemption level. This reflects the sword's ascension and a return to power in the light. The more good the sword causes in the world, the more power it can bestow upon the wielder.

But it really just depends on how you want the weapon to turn out. This is just what I would do in this situation. :)

Yakk
2014-02-20, 02:35 PM
Have you looked at the Artifact rules in 4e? They seem quite aligned with your needs. Concordance is obvious. All you need is what it does when it is finally redeemed, and what it leaves behind. The easy way would be to take an existing item and refluff with different concordance.

Gabe
2014-02-20, 03:05 PM
Okay, I referenced the Von Zarovich Family sword and came up with this.

Spoilered for long.

The Lightblade - Heroic Level
This Longsword appears to have rays of light eminating from it, and urges its user to protect the weak and smite the evil.
Artifact: The Lightblade is a +2 Longsword with the following properties and powers.
Enhancement: Attack and Damage Rolls.
Critical: +2d6
Properties:
Once per day, you can spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. Instead you gain a +2 Power bonus to AC and Fort defenses until the end of the encounter.
You gain resist 5 radiant.

Power (Radiant, Weapon) - Encounter - Standard
You can use the Clerics Weapon of Divine Protection power as an encounter power.

Power (Radiant, Weapon) - Daily - Free Action
If you are bloodied and have adjacent unbloodied allies you gain temporary hit points equal to your healing surge value.

Goals of The Lightblade.
- Protect the weak
- Redeem itself for its past crimes.
- Commit good and help those in need.

Roleplaying The Lightblade:
The lightblade presents itself as a noble being. One who is more concerned with doing everything it can to help anyone around it, regardless of their past sins.
The lightblade talks to its wielder by communicating silently and urging the character to commit acts of valour and piety. Often explaining to the owner that it spent a long time commiting acts of good before it was used to slaughter innocents.
The lightblade will become horrified if the wielder kills any innocents or murders without any just cause.

Concordance:
Starting level - 5
Owner gains a level +1D10
Owner is Lawful good +1
Owner is a divine character +1
Owner helps an innocent with no thought of reward +2
Owner kills an innocent -1
Owner ignores a plee for help -2/Once a week

Pleased - (16-20)
You gain Temp hit points equal to twice the swords enhancement bonus at the end of each extended rest.
Instead of granting +2 Power Bonus to AC and Fort defenses on use of daily, you gain +4 instead.

Satisfied - (12-15)
Power (Radiant, Weapon) - Daily (Immediate Interrupt)
When an ally adjacent to you would be targetted by an attack, you are targetted by the attack instead. You have a +2 Power bonus against this attack.

Normal - (5-11)

Unsatisfied - (1-4)
You take a -2 penalty to attack rolls against non-evil creatures.

Angered - (0)
The sword functions as a normal longsword against non-evil creatures.

Thoughts?

Elkreeal
2014-02-27, 10:05 AM
The penalty for killing an innocent should be greater than the bonus you gain from helping one, and it should be limited to once a day. Killing an innocent could remain -1 if it applies every time it happens. Or if the sword gives a penalty after such act has occurred.

RMcCall
2014-02-28, 09:14 PM
The sword you came up with looks quite fun, especially if you then place the players in a situation where killing innocents would actually be a better option than not. I think 4e is lacking in good-aligned artifacts; most of them tend to be dark or plain evil (Hand and Eye of Vecna, looking at you), while most campaigns tend to focus on good or unaligned but leaning towards good adventurers (your mileage may vary, of course). I guess this is fun for roleplaying purposes to give good guys bad items, but giving them what they want is nice too, and not everyone wants a Hammer of Moradin!