PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk adventure ideas?

inuyasha
2014-02-20, 01:06 PM
It's been a while since I've posted (medical, school, n family stuff) and I am going to be running a post-apocalyptic steampunk game, and I need to know what to send my one player (we solo game alot, with either him or me DMing, and then the other one having an entire party of 4 [sometimes less]) on. What would be a good plot for a steampunk adventure? I just don't know...

~Dirk

ArqArturo
2014-02-20, 01:53 PM
Perhaps a bit of fluff from the campaign world would be nice, since it would give some ideas for the adventuring. Yes, post-acopalyptic steampunk is an idea, but what caused the 'apocalyptic' part? Are there settlements? What's the most common threat?.

Or, since I'm a fan of the iron kingdoms, you could look into the fluff of Cryx, and see if something inspires you.

Brookshw
2014-02-20, 02:00 PM
Mad scientist is kidnapping people to put their brains into robots.

Murder mystery, someone's killed on a zepplin transatlantic flight, who done it?

Professor Barnacle believes some is trying to steal his invention. Help or steal it yourself?

The train "Flying Mongoose" arrived at its destination devoid of its passangers, where did they go?

Edit: oh,.....right.....post apocalyptic.
Someone's trying to make the trains work again, and some people are trying to stop them. Help gather materials to restore the trains and protect them, or sabotage?

Find a way to purify the water. Variant: find out what's polluting the water and stop it.

An old world research facility has been discovered, what secrets lie in its depths?

War. War never changes.

Bloodgruve
2014-02-20, 02:08 PM
What level of magic are you allowing into the game if any? DnD and especially Eberron is set up well for 'Magepunk', I kind of view Steampunk as a low magic setting.

I've always wanted to run or play in a 'Shadows of the Colossus' type setting.

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-20, 02:31 PM
While not the same rule set as D&D, you could easily take the fluff from Abney Park's Airship Pirates and use it in a steampunk setting.

JaronK
2014-02-20, 02:32 PM
I was in a game a while ago where we traveled about in a Soarwood zeppelin that was powered by a Decanter of Endless Water (providing thrust and ballast as needed), along with a propeller driven by a Reverse Gravity field. It was certainly fun. We roamed about using construction spells to build new docking towers with a long term goal of creating a zeppelin network.

Perhaps that could inspire you?

JaronK

BRC
2014-02-20, 02:37 PM
A pair of Gentlemen Scientists are having a duel to settle a matter of honor.

The weapons chosen for the duel happen to be custom built heavy artillery batteries and armies of minions.
Can the PC'S Settle the dispute before the Duel levels the countryside?

Afgncaap5
2014-02-20, 04:34 PM
Well... what if magic was a resource that was powered in different ways? A bit like primitive electricity. You could have a sinister version of an Edison or Tesla trying to keep the public from learning about Alternating Cantrips, and way overcharging the whole world for the Direct Cantrips that he owns the Monopoly on.