PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor Character Design Suggestions

Tyrosoldier
2014-02-20, 01:12 PM
Hi, I am looking to replicate a Solkan Inquisitor from Warhammer. I have avidly played DnD for 4-5 years, and have recently started reading Warhammer. I really like some of the character concepts, like this one. I read about it in Brunner, Bounty Hunter.Hes basically a big tank who works himself into a zealous frenzy and messes baddies up. A huge guy, who goes full offensive swordplay, adn relies on his heavy armour and shield to protect him. Colour scheme is dark grey armour, a golden mask shaped like a shield, a blue cape and a wicked silver sword. I'm thinking starting 2 lvls in barbarian, and dipping into Fighter for some Feats. Starting at a Lvl 10. My DM doesnt do Exp reduction for far apart multiclass lvls. I want Heavy armour proficiency,( which Barb. doesnt grant) and he needs to have a lot of Knowledge Arcana, Religion and maybe Psionics, Intimidate and Sense Motive. I love the raging mechanic of Barb. for this class, but it really gimps the Skill side. My DM allows us to bend/redistribute penalties to accommodate character designs as well (with good reason. Ex. Goblin Sorcerer with redistributed Cha penalty moved to Strength). I didnt really think the ShadowHunter/Inquisitor, Church Inquisitor or the Inquisitor classes/PreCs fit thematically. For feats I'm thinking stuff like power Attack and other big damage Feats. Any suggestions?
Edit: forgot to mention it's 3.5 edition! :smallsmile:

shylocke
2014-02-20, 02:42 PM
Hi, I am looking to replicate a Solkan Inquisitor from Warhammer. I have avidly played DnD for 4-5 years, and have recently started reading Warhammer. I really like some of the character concepts, like this one. I read about it in Brunner, Bounty Hunter.Hes basically a big tank who works himself into a zealous frenzy and messes baddies up. A huge guy, who goes full offensive swordplay, adn relies on his heavy armour and shield to protect him. Colour scheme is dark grey armour, a golden mask shaped like a shield, a blue cape and a wicked silver sword. I'm thinking starting 2 lvls in barbarian, and dipping into Fighter for some Feats. Starting at a Lvl 10. My DM doesnt do Exp reduction for far apart multiclass lvls. I want Heavy armour proficiency,( which Barb. doesnt grant) and he needs to have a lot of Knowledge Arcana, Religion and maybe Psionics, Intimidate and Sense Motive. I love the raging mechanic of Barb. for this class, but it really gimps the Skill side. My DM allows us to bend/redistribute penalties to accommodate character designs as well (with good reason. Ex. Goblin Sorcerer with redistributed Cha penalty moved to Strength). I didnt really think the ShadowHunter/Inquisitor, Church Inquisitor or the Inquisitor classes/PreCs fit thematically. For feats I'm thinking stuff like power Attack and other big damage Feats. Any suggestions?
Edit: forgot to mention it's 3.5 edition! :smallsmile:

I'm more familiar with 40k than original war hammer, but how big is this Brunner guy? You could use the half-ogre from savage species. Then go fighter/barbarian/war hulk. Take power attack, power crit, cleave, great cleave, improved crit, weapon focus, weapon specialization, knockdown, able learner. Buy mithril full plate and darken it afterwards. ( its heavy armour that counts a medium so you can still move like a barbarian.)

Red Fel
2014-02-20, 03:38 PM
Heavily armored church inquisitor with powerful, brutal techniques?

Let me introduce you to my friend, the Ruby Knight Vindicator.

The RKV (also called the Ruby Knight Win-dicator) is a prestige class introduced in the 3.5 book Tome of Battle. It's a hybrid Cleric/Crusader class that works for the Church of Wee Jas as... Well, it's not unlike the Warhammer Inquisition in some ways, at least inasmuch as the RKVs are the people they send in when they (1) want people to die, and (2) want them to know death is coming.

RKV is built on the Crusader class, also introduced in Tome of Battle, that uses heavy armor and cool combat maneuvers to soak up large amounts of damage and then liberally redistribute them.

RKV has a number of useful abilities, but chief among them is the class ability Divine Impetus, which allows the RKV to spend a daily Turn Undead attempt to take an extra swift action that turn. Since many of the combat maneuvers introduced in ToB are swift actions, this opens up lots of options.

The book also advises that the RKV can be adapted to any hierarchical church organization with a militant wing.

Short version? Go Crusader/Cleric/RKV, and put the literal fear of god into your enemies.

Tyrosoldier
2014-02-20, 05:51 PM
Thanks a lot guys, great answers. I want him to be a huge threatening presence. These suggestions helped a lot. Is it possible to rage and still use the combat maneuvers the RKV uses? The barbarians bonus to Str and Con seem too good to pass up.

GolemsVoice
2014-02-20, 06:03 PM
You could try the Shadowbane Inquisitor. It's based on the paladin, and it's very, well, Inquisitor-y.

More focused around being stealthier and purging the unclean:

http://dndtools.eu/classes/shadowbane-inquisitor/

Red Fel
2014-02-20, 11:29 PM
Thanks a lot guys, great answers. I want him to be a huge threatening presence. These suggestions helped a lot. Is it possible to rage and still use the combat maneuvers the RKV uses? The barbarians bonus to Str and Con seem too good to pass up.

Well, according to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#rage):

While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.

So, as long as the maneuver in question does not require a Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skill check, or a Concentration check, he's fine. Maneuvers, even (Su) ones, aren't spells or magic items, and so don't implicate the latter clause.

Short version? Most of what RKV does, he can do while Raging.