PDA

View Full Version : The Cat Palace

Asta Kask
2014-02-20, 02:51 PM
Man turned his house into a cat palace. (http://gizmodo.com/a-35-000-renovation-turned-this-suburban-home-into-a-c-1525117149)

And now my cats ask me why I haven't gotten $35 000 to burn. And where I can get it.

Duck999
2014-02-20, 04:18 PM
Man turned his house into a cat palace. (http://gizmodo.com/a-35-000-renovation-turned-this-suburban-home-into-a-c-1525117149)

And now my cats ask me why I haven't gotten $35 000 to burn. And where I can get it.

Oh my god I want one. That is impressive, and really cool.

erikun
2014-02-21, 12:55 PM
This isn't the first time I've seen a house modified for cats. Apparently, they like the ability to hang out above the floor level and freely go between rooms. Putting in a number of catwalks to roam around on makes them happy. I've also seen sections cut out of walls so that cats may move between room while staying on their perches.

I have no clue how difficult it would be to clean something like that, though.

Taet
2014-02-21, 02:00 PM
Easy since the tops are smooth. My house has cabinets that are not built up to the ceiling and the tops of the bedroom ceilings are covered over so the cats jump up there and are very happy. But the tops were not finished. So just putting a dust cloth on a stick catches on all the paint bumps and does not get all the dust and fur. Those tops are smooth and the dust would just fall right off. :smallsmile:

Palanan
2014-02-21, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
And now my cats ask me why I haven't gotten $35 000 to burn.

I'm just not gonna show my cats that article. Problem solved.

:smalltongue:

Duck999
2014-02-21, 05:21 PM
I'm just not gonna show my cats that article. Problem solved.

:smalltongue:

Because your cats can read it, right? You should get one.

Elemental
2014-02-21, 06:52 PM
As much as I love my cat, I'm not going to go to all that effort so she doesn't have to walk on the floor. Besides, you know how they are... You'll make them a nice comfortable spot and they end up sleeping on your newspaper anyway.

Asta Kask
2014-02-22, 07:31 AM
My cat recently began sleeping in my bed. I'm so happy! :smallbiggrin:

noparlpf
2014-02-22, 12:34 PM
That might be a wee bit excessive.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-23, 07:45 AM
This is exactly what cats love. Cats like to be in a place that's high above the ground, so they can survey their territory. It's just instinct. It comes from ancient cats sitting in trees. My cat always sat at the top of the staircase because that was the only high up place in our house. He probably spent half his life in that spot (the other half being wherever the rubbings and pettings were being given).

Asta Kask
2014-02-23, 07:48 AM
This is exactly what cats love. Cats like to be in a place that's high above the ground, so they can survey their territory. It's just instinct. It comes from ancient cats sitting in trees. My cat always sat at the top of the staircase because that was the only high up place in our house. He probably spent half his life in that spot (the other half being wherever the rubbings and pettings were being given).

I thought cats descended from desert creatures?

WarKitty
2014-02-23, 08:29 AM
To be fair - the more cats you have, the more space they need. With that -many cats it probably helps prevent fights.

I just hope he deeds the place to a rescue or somesuch when he dies. A house like that would be a dream for a kitty shelter.

Palanan
2014-02-23, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by WarKitty
A house like that would be a dream for a kitty shelter.

Amen to this, although the exterior photo looks like it's in a pricey neighborhood. All the shelters I know are really struggling these days, so the maintenance and property taxes might be a stretch. But one can always hope.

As it happens, the local shelter we try to support has just remodeled along these lines--not nearly so extensive, but they have the stepped cat-runs along the walls. I'd love to do that in my home, just don't have the cash.

I thought cats descended from desert creatures?

Yeah, I'm not too sure about the arboreal hypothesis mentioned above. I'd guess the surveying-from-on-high instinct usually found expression on the tops of hills or rocks as much as trees.

There was a paper in Science from about 2008 that dealt with felid evolution, might be worth chasing that down.

My cat recently began sleeping in my bed. I'm so happy!

I have one cat who's never so pleased as when she sneaks into my bedroom and settles herself on the bed, in exactly the space where the pillow meets the sheets. Since I value my fur-free pillow experience, I try to prevent this.

Fortunately she's recently determined that my papasan is the Best Thing Ever, so now all the fur goes on the papasan cushion. And I'm learning to balance a book on one side and a large cat on the other.

A large, insistent cat, for whom the fine art of papasan-sharing is still a work in progress....

: /

SiuiS
2014-02-23, 03:41 PM
As much as I love my cat, I'm not going to go to all that effort so she doesn't have to walk on the floor. Besides, you know how they are... You'll make them a nice comfortable spot and they end up sleeping on your newspaper anyway.

I know the point of this is a tongue in cheek jokey thing, but in all seriousness this is equivalent to saying you're not going to hug your children because it's a hassle. Elevation for a cat is instinctual. It literally provides their self worth, and every problem I've seen with cats being vicious or evil or whatever has always stemmed from humans forgetting cats are tree dwellers, and then punishing the cat for getting stressed out about being miscared for. It's very sad.

Vertical height, clean water, and extending a hand and letting the cat move to you instead of trusting your paw at the cat's face and wondering why they shy away are all vital to their mental and emotional health.

My cat recently began sleeping in my bed. I'm so happy! :smallbiggrin:

Cool! That means he likes to be where the people smells are! Does he/she burrow? I've found that if I lay in bed and read or something, or even put my legs up on the couch, draping a jacket over my knees to make a tent is a kitty invitation. It gives them loved one smell and also a cozy hiding spot that just happens to be snuggles.

Elemental
2014-02-24, 04:13 AM
I know the point of this is a tongue in cheek jokey thing, but in all seriousness this is equivalent to saying you're not going to hug your children because it's a hassle. Elevation for a cat is instinctual. It literally provides their self worth, and every problem I've seen with cats being vicious or evil or whatever has always stemmed from humans forgetting cats are tree dwellers, and then punishing the cat for getting stressed out about being miscared for. It's very sad.

Vertical height, clean water, and extending a hand and letting the cat move to you instead of trusting your paw at the cat's face and wondering why they shy away are all vital to their mental and emotional health.

Right... Hugging someone is somehow equal in hassle to a large scale renovation project there is no way on this Earth I can afford. Yes, elevation for a cat is instinctual, I have had cats my entire life and they have always enjoyed climbing up on things, such as our furniture. So I see no reason to add extra things for them to climb when there are plenty of things they can climb or jump up on already.
And furthermore, they're not tree dwellers. Their main prey consists of small rodents so they hunt in the undergrowth and raise their young on the ground accordingly.

WarKitty
2014-02-24, 06:04 AM
Amen to this, although the exterior photo looks like it's in a pricey neighborhood. All the shelters I know are really struggling these days, so the maintenance and property taxes might be a stretch. But one can always hope.

As it happens, the local shelter we try to support has just remodeled along these lines--not nearly so extensive, but they have the stepped cat-runs along the walls. I'd love to do that in my home, just don't have the cash.

Depending on the state they might not have to. In a lot of states non-profits are exempt from property taxes. And maintenance on a well-built house can be less overall.

Right... Hugging someone is somehow equal in hassle to a large scale renovation project there is no way on this Earth I can afford. Yes, elevation for a cat is instinctual, I have had cats my entire life and they have always enjoyed climbing up on things, such as our furniture. So I see no reason to add extra things for them to climb when there are plenty of things they can climb or jump up on already.
And furthermore, they're not tree dwellers. Their main prey consists of small rodents so they hunt in the undergrowth and raise their young on the ground accordingly.

Yeah, your average home with a couple of cats will probably be fine with a bookshelf and other such things. Or whatever else the cat can get into, such as the kitchen cabinets above the counter.

SiuiS
2014-02-24, 06:18 AM

Or instead of dismissal by worthless hyperbole, you could look at the spirit of the thing and go from there? Have I ever been rude or unintelligent towards you? I would like to think my track record would speak for intelligent conversation instead of an Internet penis contest.

Yes, hugging a human, which will literally either and die without caring touch, is 100% equivalent to giving a cat space to move vertically and assuage it stress levels. No, renovating the entire house is not required, but allowing furniture climbing and travel flow is. The parallel you were making was comparing a multitude of hug machines to a full house renovation.

WarKitty
2014-02-24, 06:25 AM

Cool! That means he likes to be where the people smells are! Does he/she burrow? I've found that if I lay in bed and read or something, or even put my legs up on the couch, draping a jacket over my knees to make a tent is a kitty invitation. It gives them loved one smell and also a cozy hiding spot that just happens to be snuggles.

I do have to say, many of them do like surprise face-scritches from their humans. My girl I can come up, get her face in both hands, and start rubbing. Instant kitty heaven. That said, a stranger doing that would probably have her running under the desk.

SiuiS
2014-02-24, 06:54 AM
I do have to say, many of them do like surprise face-scritches from their humans. My girl I can come up, get her face in both hands, and start rubbing. Instant kitty heaven. That said, a stranger doing that would probably have her running under the desk.

Aye. My cats trust me, too – I can pin one to the ground after a sprint if they decide to run and they'll be purring. But that's because they know me, and trust me (except Buttermilk, who I will never ever let outside for fear he will roll over and show his belly to an oncoming car... :smalleek:) but they still flinch when people, even me, thrust their hands at the face. They adapt, they love it, etc., and it's probably just a reflex, but it's one of my go-to illustrations that people tend to force people psychology onto cats rather than learning cat psychology.

Brother Oni
2014-02-24, 07:11 AM

Looking at prices in India, selling one of your kidneys should get you that with change.

The additional cost of regular dialysis is even covered by your healthcare system. :smalltongue:

Iruka
2014-02-24, 07:24 AM
They adapt, they love it, etc., and it's probably just a reflex, but it's one of my go-to illustrations that people tend to force people psychology onto cats rather than learning cat psychology.

People always flinch when I thrust my hands at their faces. Am I doing something wrong? :smalltongue:

WarKitty
2014-02-24, 07:38 AM
People always flinch when I thrust my hands at their faces. Am I doing something wrong? :smalltongue:

Unfortunately, I know very few people who like their cheeks scratched. Or who try to lick you when you hold out your hand.

Iruka
2014-02-24, 08:18 AM
Unfortunately, I know very few people who like their cheeks scratched. Or who try to lick you when you hold out your hand.

I like to have my neck scratched. And I know a person who tries to bite me when I hold out my hand.
Cats only want to lick my hand after I've eaten a ham sandwich. :smallfrown:

WarKitty
2014-02-24, 08:30 AM
I like to have my neck scratched. And I know a person who tries to bite me when I hold out my hand.

I prefer ears myself.

The licking thing seems to be a peculiarity of my girl here. She is very persistent about it. I think she's decided we've got a mutual grooming thing going - she licks, I pet/brush, she licks some more, I pet more, until one of us gets tired.

Asta Kask
2014-02-24, 12:50 PM
Felis catus is your taxonomic nomenclature,
An endothermic quadruped, carnivorous by nature;
Your visual, olfactory, and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills and natural defenses.

I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
A singular development of cat communications
That obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur to demonstrate affection.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
You would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aid in locomotion,
It often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

O Spot, the complex levels of behavior you display
Connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

Palanan
2014-02-24, 12:54 PM
*ode to Spot*

Was that from the infamous Data-loses-his-cat episode?

Asta Kask
2014-02-24, 12:58 PM
It might have been. I'm more a 'cattie' than a 'trekkie'.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-24, 03:54 PM
Was that from the infamous Data-loses-his-cat episode?

It's from the episode where crew members were being abducted by aliens during the night.

I can't recall there ever being an "infamous" episode where Data loses his cat, and a casual Google search didn't yield any results. Spot even survives the destruction of the Enterprise-D in the movie Star Trek Generations.

WarKitty
2014-02-24, 04:15 PM
It's from the episode where crew members were being abducted by aliens during the night.

I can't recall there ever being an "infamous" episode where Data loses his cat, and a casual Google search didn't yield any results. Spot even survives the destruction of the Enterprise-D in the movie Star Trek Generations.

There's one where Data think he's lost the cat, though.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Generations

Ravens_cry
2014-02-24, 05:18 PM
Apparently Brent Spiner didn't like that cat, which shows you what a good actor he is.

Arcane_Secrets
2014-02-24, 10:42 PM

I know this is drifting, but I suddenly got curious about this; I wonder what happened to Spot after Data died in Nemesis (which sucked as a movie)? Did Barkley adopt him, considering that Barkley was the only crew member that Spot got along with?

Brother Oni
2014-02-25, 07:28 AM
I know this is drifting, but I suddenly got curious about this; I wonder what happened to Spot after Data died in Nemesis (which sucked as a movie)? Did Barkley adopt him, considering that Barkley was the only crew member that Spot got along with?

According to Memory Site Alpha:

A scene that was cut from Star Trek Nemesis revealed that Worf was left to care for Spot. In the scene, Worf and La Forge were cleaning out Data's quarters. Worf heard a noise, and looked up. Immediately after, Spot jumped into his arms. Worf stated that he "was not a cat person." La Forge then said, "You are now." This scene, along with other deleted scenes, was added as an extra on the Special Edition DVD.

According to the expanded universe, he subsequently took Spot with him on the new Enterprise.

SiuiS
2014-03-05, 04:42 AM

Before we begin, which of the following are people?
-cats
-dogs
-humans
-forum moderators
-really vivid characters from fiction

We might be having entirely different conversations here.

Yeah. Mostly they go straight to nibbles.

Or washed dishes! Teacup just will not leave me alone until she has vanquished the dread-scented sponge hand.

According to Memory Site Alpha:

According to the expanded universe, he subsequently took Spot with him on the new Enterprise.

As it should be.

Asta Kask
2014-03-05, 05:39 AM
They really have amazing senses. I opened a package of sausages and Nisse, who was sleeping deeply under the sofa, was with me within a minute.

LadyOfWar
2014-03-06, 06:24 AM
Someday, after I've got my puppy potty trained (one thing at a time, one thing at a time :smallsigh:), I will build little shelves and put them up all around my living room. Then I will go and get a rescue cat from my local shelter (one that has some experience living around large dogs, I called the shelter and the shelter gal said they'd have no trouble finding me a girl cat with dog-experience, if not from them then from another rescue). Kitty will come home to a house where she can explore high above all the action and lounge in the sunshine out of doggie's reach whenever she's feeling nap-ish. All it will take is some leftover wood and two weekends in my workshop.

But first... housetraining floppy-eared puppy will take ALL my time and attention for a while. ... a long while.

Killer Angel
2014-03-06, 06:51 AM
I saw it in a documentary. It's really amazing

It's not only the money you need to invest, but also the ones that you lose in perspective.
The market value of the house, with those changes, is diminished.

Asta Kask
2014-03-06, 07:04 AM
It's not only the money you need to invest, but also the ones that you lose in perspective.
The market value of the house, with those changes, is diminished.

Yeah, they really don't care. They wants! MEOW! :smalltongue:

Killer Angel
2014-03-06, 07:13 AM

Of course, silly market value, don't keep in account that the Cat God is pleased and that you will be rewarded.

dehro
2014-03-06, 07:19 AM
am I the only one who wouldn't want to have cats stare at me while I'm pooping or taking a bath?

Finlam
2014-03-06, 08:13 AM
am I the only one who wouldn't want to have cats stare at me while I'm pooping or taking a bath?

I'd call that pretty normal.

But if you're going to spend five figures to remodel your house for your cats, then your perspective is probably a fair bit off the 'normal' mark...

Asta Kask
2014-03-06, 10:33 AM
It seems my Alfons has been in a fight. He has a scratched ear.

noparlpf
2014-03-06, 10:34 AM
It seems my Alfons has been in a fight. He has a scratched ear.

Is he alright? That's a bit worrisome.

Asta Kask
2014-03-06, 10:50 AM
He's fine - it's a very small scratch. The object of a cat fight is really to scare the away the other cat so you don't have to fight him. Even fights that look really impressive rarely result in any real harm. There are exceptions, of course. My mother's black-and-white cat has an ear that is ripped partly in half from a fight with a neighbor. That had to go to the veterinary when it began oozing, but this is nothing. It will heal in a few days at most. Cats heal very well.

Lady Tialait
2014-03-06, 12:22 PM
I'm more of a dog person, and right now I have a dog. However, when me and my hubby got together he had a cat, and that was our pet for the first five years of our relationship.

That cat was afraid of heights, like...terribly. We had a little stand for the cat to climb and rest on, he would rest at the base. That cat never climbed anything. I asked my hubby how he trained his cat not to be annoying, and he said she had always been like that, sense she was a kitten.

I liked that cat, all we had to do is make sure she had a clean place to do her business, refreshen her water 5 or 6 times a day, and once a week open a new bag of cat food. She fed herself. We had an automatic cat box so there was little work to cleaning it.

Acually, I miss having that cat..my dog is a climber I keep finding her in really strange places...

SiuiS
2014-03-06, 12:28 PM

You forgot the silent n in "me now". :smalltongue:

You say that like the cat gives you a choice. I used to lock my bathroom door. They figured out how to jimmy it open.

Oh! And we had teacup jump into the bath once. She wanted to snuggle her mama and didn't make the connection that the tub was full of that stuff you drink, so she dove right in. I could actually see the surface tension ripping on her guard hairs through the water as I dove and scooped her out. XD

dehro
2014-03-06, 12:29 PM
nah.. our cat doesn't open doors.. and she didn't appreciate me dunking her in a bath once.. though she will make a mess with toiletpaper if she gets a chance

noparlpf
2014-03-06, 01:01 PM
My kitten didn't appreciate the bath I attempted to give her a bit back. My grandmother doesn't shut doors (including the front door, sometimes; the kitten has gotten outside twice this month) and the kitten got into the flooded basement. Flooded with sewage. So of course I had to give her a bath.

Iruka
2014-03-11, 06:01 AM
Before we begin, which of the following are people?

Begin with what?

SiuiS
2014-03-11, 07:21 AM
Begin with what?

The conversation! If I answer and I'm using a totally different notion of 'people', I'll sound needlessly barmy.

Asta Kask
2014-03-11, 08:04 AM
Siuis, get your cats ready. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-UKbDMfnuI)

EmeraldRose
2014-03-11, 09:03 AM
Awwww!!!! She loves that kitty! That was very sweet, and though our cats were "patient" with our kids, and one even let one of the boys use him like a pillow it was never to that extent...

Asta Kask
2014-03-11, 09:13 AM
It's a very patient cat.

ETA:

No matter how hard you try to teach your cat general relativity, you're going to fail.

Anyone care to accept the challenge?

SiuiS
2014-03-12, 03:25 AM
Siuis, get your cats ready. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-UKbDMfnuI)

awww~

That's kinda like Buttermilk. He's not so good with the belly touches though, those freak him out. >_<

That baby loved her kitty so much~! I bet he was putting. Baby was just like "wanna hear happy cat sound!" XD

Anyone care to accept the challenge?

I see this man has never read Space-time for Springers. Special relativity? How passé. When this man has the advanced scientific knowledge of a cat, he'll see just how silly his comment about childish concepts like special relativity really are :smalltongue:

Bhu
2014-03-13, 02:37 PM
They really have amazing senses. I opened a package of sausages and Nisse, who was sleeping deeply under the sofa, was with me within a minute.

My grandmothers cat Tabby loved powdered donuts. It was a standing joke among the family that you could lock him in an upstairs room, sneak down to the kitchen, and open the donut baggie, and when you turned around he'd be there. He'd sulk for days if you didn't give him one. Lived to be 20.

BWR
2014-03-13, 02:40 PM
Cat of a friend of mine loves cucumbers.

dehro
2014-03-13, 03:40 PM
We had a black tomcat some 20 years ago. One night We left two plates on the kitchen table. One was full of slices of salame. The other contained beans.
He went for the beans and ate the lot.
Farted for days too.

Asta Kask
2014-03-14, 06:04 AM
The tick season has begun. I found two small ones crawling on Alfons today. And if they're on Alfons (short-haired) they're definitely on Nisse (long-haired). :smallsigh:

SiuiS
2014-03-16, 02:57 PM
Ouch... Part of why I don't have outdoor cats.

My youngest always talks at me when I sneeze (unsure if he responds to anyone else sneezing). I thought he was asleep in the other room, and I sneeze – nope, there he is under the kitchen table.

"Meowroweowirrrwtwrwrwrwr" he says worriedly.
"Aww, thanks honey. Don't worry, my soul is back in my body now." I say.
And he just purrs really loudly, all smug content at saving me. XD