PDA

View Full Version : help with a boss fight

Armads
2007-01-30, 08:06 AM
Hi people, for my upcoming fight with the boss, i need some help regarding spell selection.

My character is a 7th level neutral druid, and all the party knows about the boss is that it's a plant?

So, do you have any suggestions regarding spell selection? I only have the core books.

Thomas
2007-01-30, 08:11 AM
4th-level spell, antiplant shell. You can protect the entire party. Unless the plant in question has ranged attacks or spells, you're invincible. You can't approach the enemy with this on, though, so better have some flamestrikes and call lightning ready, too.

Rigeld2
2007-01-30, 08:30 AM
Depends... if you need to kill it, Antiplant Shell or Blight. Command Plants could be fun.

Thomas
2007-01-30, 08:36 AM
Duh, how did I miss those two?

Yeah, both blight and command plants are good.

Use command plants to have the plant fight any allies it has (using antiplant shell to keep any other plant enemies away). The spell can affect more than one creature, which is a bonus.

Blight is decent, but flamestrike is probably better. The main advantage is that flamestrike isn't a touch spell (blight is) and is therefore compatible with the protection of antiplant shell.

Rigeld2
2007-01-30, 08:40 AM
That, and Fort is typically good for Plants.. yeah Blight isnt that good of a spell.

Thomas
2007-01-30, 08:42 AM
Actually, I'm amazed at its existence, period. It's a 4th-level touch spell that deals damage comparable to flamestrike or fireball, with a Fort save. Flamestrike, of the same level, deals the damage to an area, at range, and half of it is exempt from energy resistance/immunity. How many plants are resistant to or immune to fire, anyway? (I think there's a few, but it can't be very many.)

Rigeld2
2007-01-30, 08:44 AM
Maybe they forgot Flamestrike is lower level for Druids?

Armads
2007-01-30, 08:47 AM
okay, thanks for the help

the DM just told me it was CR 11:smallsmile:

Thomas
2007-01-30, 08:50 AM
Then there's probably only going to be one opponent (since EL 12+ for a 7th-level party is usually a certain TPK situation). Antiplant shell, flamestrikes, and call lightning, used in that order. Note that at CL 7, your antiplant shell will last 70 minutes, so you probably don't need to waste a round of combat casting it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-30, 08:56 AM
How many plants are resistant to or immune to fire, anyway? (I think there's a few, but it can't be very many.)

It is not that uncommon.

MM (2/7): Assassin Vine, Shambling Mound

Both Fire resistance 10
Edit: Immunity to electricity also. (The SM even gets a kick out of it)

Treants have fire vulnerability.

Thomas
2007-01-30, 09:03 AM
Yeah, so two of the plants in the MM. And with their Ref saves of +2, they'd still be taking most of the damage from those flamestrikes (7d6 averages 24.5, so 14.5 per flamestrike). Blight would be dealing the same average, but they'd make their saves a lot more often, so it'd be 12.25... Meanwhile, antiplant shell makes you immune to any attacks...

Just be prepared for the DM to have a fit when he realizes the entire party is completely protected from the plant.

(Unless, of course, this is an advanced fiendish assassin vine, since it'll have SR, and might very well get through the antiplant shell.)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-30, 09:06 AM
I totally agree, Blight is a very poor combat choice most of the time, I was just answering the question.