PDA

View Full Version : Been building onto Phyrexia...

Buufreak
2014-02-20, 06:30 PM
For those of you who didn't see it and care, there was a Phyrexia discussion made a while back, and I much enjoyed it. So much so that I started creating a MTG campaign for my group, and they are currently in the middle of the massive invasion of the Mirrodin surface.

The issue I have is I am terrible at calculating a creatures CR. So I made up this creature, as based on the story and card from MTG, and was wondering if someone could give me some help on giving it a decent CR. Essentially, I took a Sphinx template, added in some traits from Effigy, and then gave it flavor from the card. Let me know what you think?

Argent Sphinx (Phyresis)
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 14d10+30 (107 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40 ft. (4 squares), fly 80 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +15 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+23
Attack: Claw +18 melee (2d4+9)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +18 melee (2d4+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, Rake 2d4+5, Glistening Oil
Special Qualities: DR 7/adamantine, Darkvision 60ft., One with Æther
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 10, Con —, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 5
Skills: Knowledge (Planes) +18, Listen +18, Spot +18, Survival +18
Feats: Cleave, Greater Cleave, Flyby Attack, Power Attack
Environment: Phyrexia
Organization: —
Challenge Rating: —
Alignment: Neutral evil
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Rake (Ex): +18 melee, 2d4+5 damage.

Glistening Oil (Ex): For each successful hit with a rake attack, the Argent Sphinx also infects the target with 1d3 Taint.

One with Æther (Ex): Because of its many ties to the multiverse before being transformed by the compleation process, the Argent Sphinx is constantly under the effect of the blink spell. It can suppress this ability as a free action. It can also, as a move action, move over great distances by moving in and out of the Æther. This effect is identical to that of the Dimension Door spell of caster level 10th, and is usable 10 times a day.

Also, some of the bits I am using comes from the original Phyrexia discussion. I can link it if someone needs it for reference. And if you like this enough, I have more! I am always looking for opinions and critiques.

Thanks guys-
Buu

NichG
2014-02-20, 07:18 PM
I guess I'd eyeball that at around CR 9-11 range, though it depends a lot on how it's used (with smart tactics, that dimension door ability could be pretty brutal considering it can inflict a semi-permanent effect in the form of Taint - hit and run to slowly corrupt characters, but not stay for the fight).

Aside from the nastiness of inflicting Taint, I would generally say this creature is on the tanky side of things - it has lots of defenses, but its offenses are not going to drop any PC around its CR range any time soon.

Buufreak
2014-02-20, 08:53 PM
I guess I'd eyeball that at around CR 9-11 range, though it depends a lot on how it's used (with smart tactics, that dimension door ability could be pretty brutal considering it can inflict a semi-permanent effect in the form of Taint - hit and run to slowly corrupt characters, but not stay for the fight).

Aside from the nastiness of inflicting Taint, I would generally say this creature is on the tanky side of things - it has lots of defenses, but its offenses are not going to drop any PC around its CR range any time soon.

9-11. Good, that is about where I was shooting. Also, maybe I should give some backstory as to where and what the party has done, so you could have some more information.

First off, its Gestalted. They started on Ravnika (for those not familiar with MTG, its similar to Sigil in many ways). After a sort of party caused catastrophe, they ended up on Mirrodin about 2 months after Phyrexia first showed its head. Mainly, I am trying to still get them to break down their guild walls and come together to survive (not the easiest when there is a Azorius crossdresser and a half-devkarin necromancer who is homophobic). Also, the party currently sits at lvl 7-8, with a bow shooter, a sorc/ranger jack of all trades, a healbitch, a retarded (Int 3 is past forrest gump levels) beat stick, and Opie. I call him Opie, because we literally can't explain him better.

So, next question boils down to this: The sphinx is a fairly exclusive (as in one of a kind) creature. Do I give him backup, or let him cause chaos solo with aerial raids?

Buufreak
2014-02-21, 09:42 AM
Okay, so I got another one, based on what others had posted for Elsh Norne and Urabrask. Input is greatly appreciated!

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Large Aberration (Augmented, Praetor, Evil)
Hit Dice: 16d8+96 (168 HP)
Speed: 30'
Initiative: +5
Armor Class: 28 (10 +18 Natural - 1 Size + 1 Dex), 10 Touch, 28 Flat-footed
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+18
Attack: Claw +14 (1d10+2)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +14 (1d10+2), or spell(s)
Space: 10'; Reach: 10'
Special Attacks: Spellcasting
Special Qualities: Praetor Traits, Damage Reduction 10/Epic and Good, Darkvision 60', Core Augur's Aura, Automatic Metamagic Mastery, Aberration Traits
Saves: +11/+6/+17
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 12, Con 22, Int 22, Wis 20, Cha 19
Skills: Bluff +21, Craft (Augmentation) +18, Concentrate +18, Knowledge: Arcana +24, Knowledge: The Planes +17, Spellcraft +17, Sense Motive +17, Use Magic Device +19
Feats: Empower Spell, Quicken Spell, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack, Iron Will, Practiced Spellcaster
Environment: New Phyrexia
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: Rod of Quickening, Rod of Empowering, Orb of Antimagic, Heart of Phyrexia, +2 Armor of Minor Fortification (all require salvage and cleansing)
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Spellcasting (Su): Jin-Gitaxias casts spells as an 12th level Sorcerer. His caster level is 16 (thanks to his Practiced Spellcaster feat). The save for all his spells are 14 + the spell level. (6/7/7/7/7/5/3)
0—arcane mark, daze, detect magic, disrupt undead, flare, ghost sound, light, read magic, +1; 1st—chill touch, mage armor, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement, shocking grasp; 2nd—minor image, resist energy, see invisibility, touch of idiocy, +1; 3rd—fly, haste, ray of exhaustion, +1; 4th—greater invisibility, stoneskin, +1; 5th—+2; 6th—+1.

Aberration Traits (Ex): Like all aberrations, Jin-Gitaxias possess Darkvision out to 60'.

Core Augur's Aura (Su): All friendly creatures within 100' of Jin-Gitaxias (but not Jin-Gitaxias himself) receives an ability to cast all spells as spells of one level higher, as if by the effect of the Heightened Spell feat without the need for higher spell slots. Unfriendly creatures within 100' of Jin-Gitaxias have their abilities to cast spells suppressed as if in an antimagic field. While under this effect, Jin-Gitaxias has access to each of those spell casters’ spells, as if he had prepared them or had them on his spell list himself. He does not need an appropriate ability score to cast spells accessed this way, however doing so expends his own spell slots as if he had casted the spells as affected by a Heighten Spell effect of +1. This ability allows no save and ignores spell resistance, but lasts only for as long as the creatures are within 100' of Jin-Gitaxias.

Automatic Metamagic Mastery (Ex): Jin-Gitaxias is able to use the following Metamagic effects 3/day each spontaneously, without the expending of additional spell slots or increasing the time needed to cast such spells, and can apply the same benefits to any spell he “stole” with the Core Augur’s Aura ability (though still at a +1 cost): Empower spell, Extend spell, Maximize Spell, Quicken Spell, Silent Spell, Still Spell, Widen Spell.

Jin-Gitaxias is only able to use this ability to apply any Metamagic effect 1/round, however he can still use any other Metamagic he has access to through other means.

Praetor's Traits (Ex): Like all members of the New Phyrexia hierarchy, Jin-Gitaxias possesses natural resistances against many forms of attack. He is immune to paralysis, sleep, stunning, and death effects, has resistance 20 to Acid damage, has Damage Reduction 10/ Epic and Good, and receives a +4 bonus on saves versus mind-affecting spells and abilities.

Jin-Gitaxias, when venturing out of his many labs, is rarely accompanied by anything besides those of his own design. However, he rarely supports them in combat, allowing Phyrexia to show its true splendor, and so that he can have his own sick sense of accomplishment as his mechanizations tear through the masses. However, if cornered in his labs or without any other option, he gladly puts his vast casting abilities to good use. He focuses primarily in spells that hinder the senses or in conjurations that help to shape any situation to his favor. If he witnesses any caster using a spell that he would deem usable, he will then suppress that casters ability to use it, and instead use the mages best assets against them. Warriors of a weak mind are in danger of his vast versatility and his many creations, but even the simplest of fighters would hold their own against his claws, which he uses only in the most dire of panicked emergencies.

Heart of Phyrexia: This ever pulsing metallic stone acts as a beating heart for any construct, and continues beating after its host is killed or it is ripped from its body. If left alone with sufficient organic and/or inorganic material, it is capable of bringing to life an intelligent, sentient golem of appropriate size and material, determined by its surroundings. This new sentient being assumes the role of a Phyrexian Praetor, mimicking the life and goals of the life it once beat for. If in the possession of an already sentient being, it is viewed in the same light as the Praetor the heart once belonged to, such that all followers of the sect view him as a natural leader, and he is capable of using Dominate Monster (as the spell) against them at will with no save. Use of such a horrid and self-destructive item is trying and corrupting to beings outside of the Phyrexian loop, causing them to gain 5 points of Taint per day of possession (as if infected by Glistening Oil), and using the Dominate Monster ability on a Phyrexian immediately grants them an additional 10 points of Taint. Any creature that achieves Phyresis and Compleation by this means is driven mad, and is compelled to dig out their own chest and place the Heart within, so they can take their new rightful place as a Praetor.
Strong Enchantment (Evil); CL 20th.

Fortinbro
2014-02-21, 10:26 AM
I'd love to do a Magic the Gathering campaign at some point, but I would totally side with Phyrexia.

I hope you make Glissa thoroughly badass, like epic level badass.

Buufreak
2014-02-21, 01:27 PM
Haven't made a Glissa yet, though mentioned her and the party has run into her. Currently focused on some lower level encounters (to get them to at least lvl 10). Until that time, we have a nice list of living weapons made that for the sake of fun, I decided that once they are all defeated, the last standing Germ does a Power Rangers MegaZord thing and pulls them all into one hellacious weapon.

Arbane
2014-02-21, 01:33 PM
Core Augur's Aura (Su): All friendly creatures within 100' of Jin-Gitaxias (but not Jin-Gitaxias himself) receives an ability to cast all spells as spells of one level higher, as if by the effect of the Heightened Spell feat without the need for higher spell slots. Unfriendly creatures within 100' of Jin-Gitaxias have their abilities to cast spells suppressed as if in an antimagic field.

...yipes....

NichG
2014-02-21, 01:55 PM
For the Sphinx, I'd say it needs backup to really be tactically interesting. Solo enemies of around the party's CR (which deserves a bit of a bump since Gestalted...) tend to not make for interesting encounters. Alone, even with its defenses, I'd guess it'd get dropped in two rounds and not actually manage to do much in that time.

So yeah, I'd say give it some backup so that the party is busy dealing with stuff on the ground while it uses Flyby attack to strafe them. That way the party has to decide between taking out the source of taint or taking out the actual things that are threatening to damage/drop them. Since Gestalt tends to mean a bit more glass-cannon (hp don't really go up, but abilities do), you do want to be a little careful with this, but I'd suggest having something like 3-5 easily-dropped, lower CR things on the ground that have some sort of difficult-to-ignore damage source (spec'd out thrown weapons experts using Alchemist fire to cause a guaranteed 4 points of splash damage per round each, for example, or something with an equivalent special ability), so the choice is between taking out the taint/burst damage source in the air or taking out the things that are slowly grinding down the party on the ground.

BornValyrian
2014-02-21, 02:56 PM
I was actually planning on running a Phyrexian game, where the PC's are Mirran survivors struggling to eke out a life. Don't know if I'd make them 'walkers, but your idea was pretty cool also. I'm probably going to nab these to add to my growing collection of phyrexians. I also statted up Gore Vassal, which I'll drop here if anybody wants a look/critique.

Gore Vassal
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Corrupting Transfusion
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +3, Survival +1*
Feats: Compleat, Track
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization:
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement:

A vaguely hound-like shape scurries around, it's sleek porcelain-like plating open on it's back to reveal a heart within an inverted ribcage.

Combat
Gore vassals have a +4 racial bonus on Jump checks. *Gore Vassals have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Corrupting Transfusion (Ex): As a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, a gore vassal may crawl onto a creature and give transfuse some of its fluids, healing the target while sacrificing itself and conferring glistening oil upon the target. The vassal may enter the target's square and deal any number of damage to itself up to a maximum of its current hitpoints, healing the target by that much. For every ten points of damage transferred this way the target is conferred 1 dose of glistening oil (1d3 points of corruption, minimum 1). Unwilling creatures must be helpless or pinned.

Buufreak
2014-02-21, 03:29 PM
I was actually planning on running a Phyrexian game, where the PC's are Mirran survivors struggling to eke out a life. Don't know if I'd make them 'walkers, but your idea was pretty cool also.

To be honest, they aren't walkers. Any of them. Didn't even give the option for it, nor even (even though Paul keeps insisting on it) a roll of natural 20 for the potential of latent spark. My plan was to let them roam Ravnika for a few levels, then start some planar travel, and they happened to really speed up the process. After the city was completely destroyed, they floated through empty space until they found the last reminiscent remains of the Weatherlight, minus its sentience. Thus, they plotted a random course and ended up on Mirrodin with not enough power in the ship to get out. And here we are now.

If you like, I can go ahead and stick all my little creations in here, and feel free to nab and modify as you see fit. Most of it is SRD modified for machinery, except the Praetor. He is based on http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186026

Living Weapon (Sickleslicer)
Huge Construct
Hit Dice: 11d10+40 (101 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 20 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (–2 size, +3 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+25
Attack: Bite +15 melee (1d8+13)
Full Attack: Bite +15 melee (1d8+13)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d8+13, improved grab
Special Qualities: DR 7/adamantine
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 29, Dex 15, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: —
Challenge Rating: 6

Living Weapon (Skinwing)
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+30 (52 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 40 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 21 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +7 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+12
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+7)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+7)
Special Qualities: DR 3/adamantine.
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 20, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Challenge Rating: 3
Alignment: Always neutral

Living Weapon (Lashwrithe)
Huge Construct
Hit Dice: 6d10+40 (73 hp)
Speed: 20 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (-2 size, +9 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+17
Attack: Lash +8 melee (1d8+7 and 1d6 fire)
Full Attack: 6 Lashes +8 melee (1d8+7 and 1d6 fire)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Qualities: DR 3/adamantine
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 10, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Bite)
Challenge Rating: 7

Living Weapon (Mortarpod)
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 2d10+20 (31 hp)
Speed: 50 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (-1 Dex, +9 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: —
Full Attack: —
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Mortar Cannon
Saves: Fort +0, Ref -1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 8, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Challenge Rating: 2

Mortar Cannon (Ex): As a full round action, the Mortarpod is able to fire an explosive round from its mortar cannon. This attack deals 4d6 fire damage to a 10ft radius area within 40ft. (Reflex 12 for half damage). No attack roll is needed for this splash weapon attack. 
Living Weapon (Strandwalker)
Huge Construct
Hit Dice: 9d10+40 (73 hp)
Initiative: -2
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (-2 size, -2 Dex, +11 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+25
Attack: Tendril +17 melee (1d8+11)
Full Attack: 2 Tendrils +17 melee (1d8+11)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +3
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 7, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Feats: Power Attack
Challenge Rating: 7

Living Weapon (Batterskull)
Large Construct
Hit Dice: 3d10+30 (47 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+6
Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d8+4 and poison)
Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d8+4 and poison)
Special Attacks: Poison (Fort 11, 1d4 Dex)
Special Qualities: DR 1/adamantine.
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 13, Con —, Int —, Wis 11, Cha 1
Challenge Rating: 2