PDA

View Full Version : Not in Sharn

weckar
2014-02-20, 06:56 PM
I've been spitting through the Eberron sourcebooks (all I have available) and apart from all of them suggesting to start campaigns in Sharn, it also seems to be the only city of which decent maps are available. I have a slight distaste for the 3D thinking in Sharn, especially to start a campaign with. Are there any sources I've missed for good starting locations?

I'd prefer them to get in quick with one of the Dragonmarked Houses, so their presence would be preferred.

fishyfishyfishy
2014-02-20, 07:16 PM
I suppose it depends on the feel of the adventure you plan on running. If you want to have a lot of political intrigue, you can start them in a Capitol city. I imagine the Dragonmarked Houses will have a presence in most major Capitols.

I started my group in New Cyre, with the intention of using the Brelish countryside as a sort of "old west". It helped that the Mournland wasn't that far either.

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-02-20, 07:20 PM
Stormhome, in Aundair, is the ancestral home of house Lyrandar, and could suit your purposes well. Haven't a clue as to where you'd get more detailed maps, unfortunately.

HunterOfJello
2014-02-20, 07:21 PM
Five Nations has some maps of cities in it. It has Korth, Flamekeep, Thrane, Metrol, and others.

Since Eberron is more about intrigue on the political level instead of on the small guild to small guild level, it has more of a focus on the larger picture of the continent than on the street lines.

weckar
2014-02-20, 07:22 PM
The Mournland isn't far from anywhere...

Honestly, if any more detailed maps of the Lhazaar Principalities existed I'd start them (near) there in a heartbeat, but I think I may be getting too wishful.... You could get into all sorts or Lyrandar/Orien conflicts there (and, as a side note, am I the only one who feels those houses are most on the forefront by far? Apart from maybe Cannith...)

Cruiser1
2014-02-20, 08:14 PM
Start them in Stormreach, on Xendrik. Look at the sourcebook "City of Stormreach". That's the only Eberron city (other than Sharn) to have an entire book devoted to it. (Note Stormreach on Xendrik, is different from Stormhome in Aundair.) All the Dragonmarked houses and the 5 nations have a presence in Stormreach, with none too powerful, so it fits any character concept. Lots of adventures in the city, with wilderness or sea adventures right outside too. :smallsmile:

weckar
2014-02-20, 08:31 PM
I thought Xendrik was generally considered mid- to high-CR? Hmmm.... worth considering, to be sure. I'd have to track the book down.

Speaking of books to track down, was there ever an official map folio for Eberron? I'd be almost surprised if there wasn't...

Kalaska'Agathas
2014-02-20, 08:42 PM
I thought Xendrik was generally considered mid- to high-CR? Hmmm.... worth considering, to be sure. I'd have to track the book down.

Speaking of books to track down, was there ever an official map folio for Eberron? I'd be almost surprised if there wasn't...

Xen'drik has challenges suitable for just about any level. It's kinda like Sharn, in that way - you could legitimately run an entire campaign 1-20 without ever leaving (not that you should - there's so much to see, after all - but you could).

Maginomicon
2014-02-20, 08:57 PM
There's a city detailed in the "Dragonmarked" book, a last stronghold of dragon-cultivated society, although I forget its name.

weckar
2014-02-20, 08:59 PM
After looking through the books some more, in particular looking at what suits my needs the most, Korth is starting to look really good...

Prime32
2014-02-20, 09:21 PM
Start them in Stormreach, on Xendrik. Look at the sourcebook "City of Stormreach". That's the only Eberron city (other than Sharn) to have an entire book devoted to it. (Note Stormreach on Xendrik, is different from Stormhome in Aundair.) All the Dragonmarked houses and the 5 nations have a presence in Stormreach, with none too powerful, so it fits any character concept. Lots of adventures in the city, with wilderness or sea adventures right outside too. :smallsmile:It's also got an MMO, though its version of the city has diverged from the books over time (e.g. the Marketplace being destroyed and rebuilt, the Inspired openly controlling a district...).