PDA

View Full Version : Need help to make a vilian 3.5dnd

Kafros
2014-02-20, 08:08 PM
So my players asked me to make a gestalt campaign. In the previous campaign there was that one player that made a character that pissed everyone off... and in the end everyone wanted to kill him. With that in mind I decided that that character will be the first vilian in this campaign. The problem is that the class he was playing was warlock and I have no idea on how to play those guys, and frankly he played him so bad in the previous campaign I did not learn anything about the class...

Anyway since this campaign is gestalt I have to completely remake him but he is supposed to be their arch nemesis for quite a while so I want him to be challenging and since I dont know the first thing about warlocks... I need help. of course I could change him to a sorcerer but I feel that I will strip the fun from the players if I do so since they really wanted to beat that warlock up. Also I have no idea what class combination I should build as a second class with a warlock really no idea about that class since I never had a player to actually play that successfully.

Things I had already decided upon:
gear: a portaple hole with an army of undead inside. a dragon orb. (this allows him to make dragons his pets and as such he has a pet adult etherial dragon )
he is a shapechanger and he can shapechange into a crow (that was the only thing he did on the previous campaign change to a crow and raise undead which were subsequently turned by the palladin) as such I would prefer a ranged warlock over a melee just for role play reasons.
campaign setting is Ravenloft in which he is a domain lord: as such he gains 7 buffs from the powers that rule the place which can translate to an up to +16on a stat or saves or various spellike abilities (since he already has a lot of spellike abilities by being a ghost it might be a bad idea though). he also gain 6 curses 2 lethal that can be up to -4 to 2 stats or -4 in saves (could be cheesy and add up on fortitude saves since as undead he ll be immune to most fort based saves)2 medium curses which is -2 on 2 stats or -2 to 2 saves. and 1 lesser curse which is a minor deformity such as glowing red eyes.
He must be a ghost rank 5 (that also counts as 1 of the lethal curses) as such he must have at least a +10 on his charisma modifier (otherwise he wont qualify as a domain lord)
he is an npc so his initial stats are : 15,14,13, 12,11.9 (elite array)
his total (unmodified)CR cannot be more than 15 would prefer it if it was around 13. Provided that a rank 5 ghost is a +5 CR modifier that gives him 8-10 class levels
abilities to control creatures would be highly buffed since he is a domain lord. As a domain lord if he has the ability to control undead (by eg turn undead) he can control any undead in the domain even if made by the players. If he can dominate an animal of a type he can also control any animal of that type in the domain even if it is a character's pet.

weckar
2014-02-20, 08:37 PM
If you really want to throw them for a loop, you could secretly make the villain Tristalt, adding Rogue and Swashbuckler levels for annoying slipperiness without sacrificing the main flavor.

EDIT: As a domain lord, you may also want to decide on his 'ruler's curse'...

Kafros
2014-02-20, 08:53 PM
thanks i ll look that up
:p you are right should had mentioned I never use prestige classes for the npcs no matter what the players do.

Kafros
2014-02-20, 09:30 PM
I see his rulers curse was already decided, but because it has nothing to do with the game mechanic's did not mention it. His desire was to rule over others that's why he stole the dragon orb in order to dominate. As such after he attained the power to rule, he was given a domain in the keening (noone there but himself and some mindless undead.)
If it had to be an object it would be the dragon orb.

weckar
2014-02-21, 12:58 AM
I don't think I mentioned prestige classes?