PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Looking for Construct

Thurbane
2014-02-20, 08:12 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a construct to be awakened as an NPC in my game.

This is what I'm looking for: medium size, low CR, as few special attacks and special qualities as possible, and something that doesn't "pass for human" (i.e. no human effigies).

A permanently animated object of a statue would work, but I'm looking for more interesting options.

Suggestions?

Cheers - T

Doc_Maynot
2014-02-20, 08:53 PM
An animated object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm) of sorts?

Maginomicon
2014-02-20, 09:02 PM
Well, the Maug and the Quesar are player-compatible right out of the box. They don't even need to be awakened. The quesar has few special attacks, but they're pretty powerful, even at ECL 1 (it uses a monster class).

"Like a star brought to ground, a quesar shines with blinding light that sears through evil creatures. Quesars are constructs crafted by angels, originally intended to serve as guardians over celestial treasures. In their benevolence, the angels gave their creations minds and free will, and the quesars refused to serve as slaves. Now they are independent — an isolated society of artificial life who still serve as mighty allies to the forces of good."

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-02-20, 09:04 PM
Sand Golems and Elder Eidolon are both templates that could do the trick: just make them of some small giant, say half-giant or goliath. Sandstorm and Lords of Madness, respectively.

Thurbane
2014-02-20, 09:11 PM
An animated object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/animatedObject.htm) of sorts?

A permanently animated object of a statue would work, but I'm looking for more interesting options.

Well, the Maug and the Quesar are player-compatible right out of the box. They don't even need to be awakened. The quesar has few special attacks, but they're pretty powerful, even at ECL 1 (it uses a monster class).
It's for an NPC, so player-friendly doesn't matter too much. Quesar seems interesting.

Darrin
2014-02-20, 09:18 PM
Clockwork pony steed (MM4). May or may not come with an Orbital Friendship Cannon.

Malimar
2014-02-20, 09:26 PM
Chain Golem (MM2)? Magmacore Golem (MM5)?

Meowmasterish
2014-02-20, 09:31 PM
If you are in the Eberron campaign setting, you could make a warforged. You could also fit it into other campaign settings, but that might be slightly more difficult.

Yogibear41
2014-02-20, 10:02 PM
Automaton, Hammerer, CR 3, 5 HD, MM2
Automaton, Pulverizer, CR 3, 3 HD, MM2
Caryatid Column, CR 6, 6HD FF
Clockwork Pony, CR 3, 6hd MM 4
Dread Guard, CR 2, 5hd, MM 2
Chain Golem, CR 5, 7HD, MM2
Stained Glass Golem, CR 5, 12 HD, MM 2
Thayan Golem, CR 8, 7 HD, Monsters of Faerun
Helmed Horror, CF 10, 13 HD, Monsters of Faerun (I believe this is in another book as well with a playable LA before the updated version)

Iron Cobra, CR 2, 2 HD, FF
Necrophidius, CR 2, 2 HD, FF
Nimblewright, CR 7, 10 HD, MM2

Raggamoffyns, various, MM 2

A few of these are human shaped, but people should know they aren't humans

The Viscount
2014-02-21, 12:48 AM
You could definitely have fun with Adamantine Spiders from Drow of the Underdark. 4HD, CR3