PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party material woes

Silus
2014-02-20, 08:55 PM
So I was riding a gamer high earlier today with my purchase of the Machinesmith book for the NeoExodus campaign setting for Pathfinder. Seriously, this class is sweeeeeeet. The steampunky-magitechy nature of the class, combine that with the Pure Steam campaign setting and man, you got some good times.

However, now I'm in a valley of gaming depression. Nobody in my gaming group will run any of this 3rd party stuff, and I reeeeeally wanna play an Android (from Inner Sea Bestiary) Machinesmith. Sure, I can run a game with all the fiddly bits in it, but it's not the same as playing, and I find DMing in general to be annoying with he group I currently have.

So, what about y'all? Any 3rd party material woes? Any tips for getting around them?

Dawgmoah
2014-02-20, 09:02 PM
Try to convince them to allow the material?

Find another group that likes the 3rd party stuff and will let you play it?

There is good 3rd party stuff as well as bad. And of course that is a very relative condition which changes from person to person. I allow 3rd party things into my game slowly, and if things don't work out I let it slip away into the night.

Silus
2014-02-20, 09:16 PM
Try to convince them to allow the material?

Find another group that likes the 3rd party stuff and will let you play it?

There is good 3rd party stuff as well as bad. And of course that is a very relative condition which changes from person to person. I allow 3rd party things into my game slowly, and if things don't work out I let it slip away into the night.

Well the only three Pathfinder games I'm a part of is 1) the one I'm running in the near future, 2) a Rise of the Rune Lords game with HEAVY character restrictions (It's a new DM, so I suppose I can excuse that) and 3) an upcoming game where we're all trapped on a prison planet.

Granted I get to play that Android Alchemist I wanted to play for God knows how long, but...
Machinesmith :smallfrown:

Grinner
2014-02-22, 08:55 PM
Do what everyone else must. Run it yourself.

Silus
2014-02-22, 11:02 PM
Do what everyone else must. Run it yourself.

That is the problem though, I'd be running the material instead of playing it. The most I could hope for would be the other players deciding to run the material after I run it.

137beth
2014-02-23, 12:35 AM
Try pbps? That's my usual answer to "people who live near me don't want to play __".
There's also roll20 and other forms of "live" online play.

NotScaryBats
2014-02-23, 12:42 AM
Yeah, a PbP game might work for ya.

weckar
2014-02-23, 02:54 AM
PbP is hellaslow though. Expect to get through what normally takes an hour in... a month? At best?

Vanitas
2014-02-23, 02:57 AM
PbP is hellaslow though. Expect to get through what normally takes an hour in... a month? At best?

Yeah, I'm just about to give on pbps for good.