PDA

View Full Version : PF AP selection advise needed

rollforeigninit
2014-02-20, 08:56 PM
So I will be donning my DM hat again before long and I need something to run. I used to make up my own adventures but I don't have a ton of time. Is there a good AP to start a new group with? This is gonna be 3 kids 11 to 15 & 2 adults. One of the adults (my wife) has a fair amount of experience. Everyone else will be new. I'd like to start a lvl 1 if possible.

Kudaku
2014-02-20, 09:37 PM
Some of the best APs also contain material that probably isn't suitable for kids.

Rise of the Runelords, which is excellent and a very classical adventure, contains: Torture, rapes, forced amputation, cannibalism, familicide...
Skull & Shackles has a very fun "pirate of the high seas"-feel, but there's also lashings. Lots of lashings. Lots, and lots, and lots of creative and varied forms of lashings.

If you think your kids are mature enough to handle that kind of stuff then I'd definitely recommend one of the two above.

If you're a bit worried about your children (which I would understand perfectly) then I've been told that Legacy of Fire is one of the more kid-friendly APs.

Sayt
2014-02-20, 09:44 PM
I've been having fun playing through the Jade Regent path, although the optional caravan system is horrible, and central to the third book.

I've also been running Carrion Crown, which has been enjoyable, but I feel the ploy could have been structured a little better, with an earlier hook to the main plot badguys.

rollforeigninit
2014-02-20, 10:20 PM
At least they are my kids. I don't really get to worry about messing up other kids.

I will look up those & see what I think. RotRL seems to be popular but I think that most of that might be a bit much for the 11 year old girl. Lashing I can work with though.

Will look up the others as well.

As an aside, the group is now 6 with 4 girls (2 kids 2 adults & 1 boy of each.) As such is there any adventure that might throw the more RP oriented a bone or 2?

Squirrel_Dude
2014-02-20, 11:07 PM
Did a quick google search, and found this thread (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mvcc?Pathfinder-adventure-path-most-appropriate). Lots of recommendations for the Legacy of Fire adventure path.

Raven777
2014-02-21, 12:47 AM
What about the free ones where you play Goblins?

We Be Goblins! (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8j5w)
We Be Goblins Too! (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8wvm)

Kudaku
2014-02-21, 12:50 AM
As an aside, the group is now 6 with 4 girls (2 kids 2 adults & 1 boy of each.) As such is there any adventure that might throw the more RP oriented a bone or 2?

Raven777 mentioned We Be Goblins!, which is one of the funniest storylines Paizo ever invented. The slapstick goblins are probably a good fit for kids and there's plenty of room to goof around and RP being gobbos, but I think it's too short to qualify as an AP - we played through the first module in two sessions or so.

That said, the goblin modules are incredibly good modules for introducing players to roleplaying and Pathfinder.